Consumer Reports 10 Least Satisfying Cars: IS makes the list?

Reactions
CR-Cars-InlineHero-2019-Acura-ILX-A-Spec-f-1-19

https://www.consumerreports.org/car.../10-least-satisfying-cars-owner-satisfaction/
These models stand out for how much they disappoint

Buying a car can be exciting. In most cases, a new or new-to-you car means significant upgrades in comfort and convenience features, and the potential to move up to a bigger, more sophisticated ride. Given the cost and extensive time spent behind the wheel, it's not surprising that car buyers are disappointed when a vehicle doesn't live up to its promise.

To measure the current state of owner satisfaction, CR collected data on more than half a million vehicles with our surveys. The owner satisfaction score, based on whether owners say they would definitely buy the same car again if given the choice, measures whether a car has lived up to its expectations.

Respondents also rated their cars in six categories: driving experience, comfort, value, styling, audio, and climate systems. Combined with CR’s ratings on testing and reliability, our owner satisfaction ratings give car buyers valuable guidance when they’re shopping for a vehicle. (Detailed information is available on the car model pages.)

Based on that analysis, the following models are the least satisfying. They're presented in rank order, counting down to the least satisfying model, the Acura ILX.

Jeep Renegade

Judged on appearance and presence alone, there's plenty to like about the Jeep Renegade. This modern design features striking styling; a substantial, solid feel; and a respectable amount of rear cargo space for its diminutive size. It doesn't take long, though, for the Renegade's charms to wear thin.

For starters, handling proves cumbersome, the ride is choppy, the front seats are uncomfortable, and the view out is restricted. What's more, that fancy nine-speed automatic doesn't quite have its gear-juggling act together. It's reluctant to downshift, leaving the 180-hp four-cylinder engine feeling underpowered and sounding raspy.

Toyota C-HR

Toyota blurs the line between the hatchback and subcompact SUV segments with the C-HR (aka Coupe High-Rider). Once we got past the C-HR's avant-garde styling, we found that this Toyota drives decently, but it has a few glaring faults that may take it out of contention for potential buyers.

First off, the C-HR isn't available with all-wheel drive as are its Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, and Subaru Crosstrek competitors, making it more car than SUV. Second, it is abnormally slow, with a 0-60 mph acceleration time of more than 11 seconds. And third, the Toyota's rear and side visibility are horrendous.

Chevrolet Trax

Done properly, a subcompact SUV fulfills its promise of budget-friendly pricing, interior versatility, easy access, available all-wheel-drive, impressive fuel economy, and an elevated driving position. Then there's the Chevrolet Trax.

In creating the Trax, Chevy's strategy appears to have been to produce a mere placeholder of a vehicle smaller than the Equinox using a model cheaply cobbled together from the underwhelming, built-to-price Sonic.

Nissan Pathfinder

The midsized Pathfinder has seating for up to seven, but the second-row seat is very low and the third-row seat is tight. The 3.5-liter V6 and continuously variable transmission delivered respectable acceleration and 18 mpg overall in our tests.

We found the ride to be comfortable enough, but handling lacks agility. The quiet cabin is spacious, and the controls are fairly easy to master. The passenger-side rear seat can be moved forward with a child seat installed.

A recent freshening saw the V6 gain 24 hp and an increase in towing capacity to 6,000 pounds. Forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking is standard.

Overall, the Pathfinder is practical but rather boring to drive and doesn't stand out from its many peers.

Cadillac ATS

Cadillac's capable sports sedan is discontinued for 2019 and remains in coupe-only guise. It's capable and fun to drive but rather maddening to live with. The ATS's sharp handling and eager performance give up nothing compared with the best European sports coupes, including the Audi A5 and BMW 4 Series. We actually prefer the lively steering in the Cadillac over that of most peers. The ride is taut and controlled without being punishing or harsh.

Nissan Versa Note

This little subcompact offers amazing space and versatility. It's also quieter and more relaxed to drive than most competitors. Its tall stance and wide doors make it easy to maneuver, park, and hop into and out of. The rear seat is really roomy, and the ride feels comfortable and relaxed. Handling is more responsive than the Versa sedan's.

Our main gripes are its awkward driving position, squishy front seats, and lack of interior storage. The continuously variable transmission can magnify coarse engine noise when accelerating.

Lexus IS

Lexus built the IS sports sedan to challenge the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. But we'll cut to the chase: Forget it. The IS doesn't even come close to the German pair's ride and handling prowess, fun-to-drive character, technology features, or luxury appeal. Add in the IS's cramped interior and mediocre fuel economy, and it's clear that Lexus phoned this one in. Its best qualities are quintessential Lexus assets like reliability and customer service.

Dodge Journey

Smaller than the typical midsized SUV, the Journey is a dated and mediocre performer. It rides decently and is fairly quiet, but that's about all. It suffers from a lack of agility, lousy fuel economy from the 3.6-liter V6 of 16 mpg overall, a reluctant transmission, and a tiny third-row seat. For the same sticker price of a V6-powered Journey, one can buy the much better Kia Sorento.

Poor results from the Journey's IIHS small overlap crash-test (an evaluation that simulates striking a telephone pole or other solid object with just a portion of the vehicle's front) and subpar reliability and owner satisfaction add to its long list of demerits. Hefty discounts are common, but don't fall for this SUV that's soon to be put out to pasture.

Nissan Sentra

Overall, the compact Sentra trails the class. A recent freshening resulted in a quieter car, thanks in part to the less intrusive CVT. Handling is fairly responsive and secure, but the ride is stiff and the driving experience is ho-hum and joyless. Acceleration times are among the slowest in the class, the cockpit is narrow, and the front seats lack support.

The Sentra looks good on paper, but it ultimately fails to live up to expectations. The Sentra is underwhelming to drive and feels cheap, which is problematic in a class that's growing ever more refined.

Acura ILX

Sometimes you just can't transcend humble origins. Trying to make a premium model out of the previous generation Honda Civic is a fool's errand, as proved by the Acura ILX.

Adding projector headlights and slapping the Acura badge on the car shouldn't deceive anyone. There's nothing wrong with the concept of providing an upscale experience in a small package, but the ILX's hard ride, loud cabin, and lack of some essential features undermine that goal.

Charging $30,000 for the ILX amounts to total chutzpah on Honda's part. And based on the low owner satisfaction score, buyers agree.
Surprisingly the IS is there, but it needs a makeover like NOW. ILX has always been the butt of Civic jokes.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IS and C-HR are both pretty accurate, IMO. There is nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't stand out at all either.

I'd actually say this is a pretty fair list.

Reactions
IS and C-HR are both pretty accurate, IMO. There is nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't stand out at all either.

I'd actually say this is a pretty fair list.
The IS is becoming what the Q50 is, a great $399 lease...I've ridden in my friend's C-HR, and it is pretty slow. It needs more power to put that good chassis to use, and I'm still disappointed with Toyota's dismal packaging of the car in the States (No hybrid or 1.2T with manual, etc.)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
From what I recall, another criticism lobbed against the current IS by Consumer Reports is among the worst LATCH setups for fastening child safety seats of any car they'd tested. Granted, this is relevant to only a smallish segment of the IS target demographic, and perhaps this was addressed in its midlife refresh (I'm not really sure), but still worth noting.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, I agree it's a fair list....though I'd also add the Jeep Compass, which, IMO, like the Renegade, is not worthy of the nameplate.

As far as the IS goes, I also agree with it being on the list, but for different reasons than CR states. I've mentioned, several times in the past, that I thought the build-solidness, and the materials used, was a letdown from the 1Gen to the 2Gen, and again from the 2Gen to the 3Gen. Mechanically it is reliable, like most Lexus products, but the materials used for the body and interior are simply not what the excellent 1Gen was...it has a notably cheaper feel. I owned a 1Gen for almost 5 years.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
As far as the IS goes, I also agree with it being on the list, but for different reasons than CR states. I've mentioned, several times in the past, that I thought the build-solidness, and the materials used, was a letdown from the 1Gen to the 2Gen, and again from the 2Gen to the 3Gen. Mechanically it is reliable, like most Lexus products, but the materials used for the body and interior are simply not what the excellent 1Gen was...it has a notably cheaper feel. I owned a 1Gen for almost 5 years.
Agreed. I owned a 1IS for almost 3 years and my current 2IS for just over 8 years and counting. Over the years, however, I've had ample opportunities to sample the 3IS and compare it back-to-back with 2IS (including the 3IS long-lead preview and a more recent weeklong stint I reported on Kaizen Factor). Although the 3IS shows improvements in some areas (particularly less road and wind noise at highway speeds), declines in other areas (exterior styling, some interior materials such as front door storage pockets and loss of agility/"tossability") kept me from trading in my 2IS. I still don't regret my decision.

Reactions
Okay no I agree with some of the criticisms but chassis handling is not one of them. They need to release a 4IS within the next 2 years.

Reactions
.......and, on the next one, they need to put back some of the materials and build-solidness that the 1Gen had. IMO It was just too big a letdown in that department on later models. The 1Gen impressed me enough that I actually bought one....kept it almost 5 years.

For sure, it was obvious they made some cost-cutting measures which is pretty shocking from Lexus, normally cost cutting is unheard of in a Lexus but they did it with the UX, ES, RX and NX. Normally that's something that some German luxury brands, a lot of American luxury brands and Acura do here and there. I hope Lexus isn't getting to comfortable in this position, they've been resting on their laurels for way too long.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lexus IS

Lexus built the IS sports sedan to challenge the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. But we'll cut to the chase: Forget it. The IS doesn't even come close to the German pair's ride and handling prowess, fun-to-drive character, technology features, or luxury appeal. Add in the IS's cramped interior and mediocre fuel economy, and it's clear that Lexus phoned this one in. Its best qualities are quintessential Lexus assets like reliability and customer service.

Weird because when the IS debuted everyone raved at how it out handled the Germans and was fun to drive. It still is. So they lost me there. I understand the part of it lacking some tech and luxury b/c it does.

The problem today is the competition is FIERCE and the IS hasn't moved the needle besides a refresh.

Reactions
The problem today is the competition is FIERCE and the IS hasn't moved the needle besides a refresh.
So whose decision was it to NOT bring the IS Hybrid? That might be biting the product planners in the a**...I agree, tech on the IS is outdated, but the Infiniti Q50 wasn't much better Lexus' but they sold a little better for some reason (Must be fleet sales because I really enjoyed flogging rental Q50s).

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
So who's decision was it to NOT bring the IS Hybrid? That might be biting the product planners in the a**...I agree, tech on the IS is outdated.

IS or RC... and the NX hybrid doesn't offer a F-Sport but the RX and UX does. The LC and LS have hybrids barely mentioned. All a bit odd.