Coming Lexus changes we hear from our rep

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
Hearing rumors about the GX...The GX will not be discontinued. (yeah!!!!) We are hearing that instead the premium level truck will be available with middle row captains chairs.

We will not be getting the 3rd row RX this year.

The ES, RX, IS, RC, and NX will Scout Navigation system. Something to do with enhanced bluetooth integration so that your phone can project the nav info on the screen.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
The GX will stay alive for a couple more years in its current style. The 9710's will come with the captains chairs and the 9700's will be 50/50 with the traditional bench and captains chairs. It's such a profitable vehicle for Lexus, it's really a no-brainer.

As far as this Scout navigation better integrated with smart phones, that's been a recurring complaint from not only my own experience but my clients as well. To zap an address from text message to my screen just makes sense.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Did you get any sense of whether they are going to refresh, substantially refresh or completely redesign the GX? Or literally leave it exactly as it is now?

My personal thought is that it's going to receive a substantial refresh (Like LX) and then go on for another 2-3 years.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Did you get any sense of whether they are going to refresh, substantially refresh or completely redesign the GX? Or literally leave it exactly as it is now?

My personal thought is that it's going to receive a substantial refresh (Like LX) and then go on for another 2-3 years.
Any idea what the cost difference is for Lexus to do a fully redesign compared to just an update?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Any idea what the cost difference is for Lexus to do a fully redesign compared to just an update?

I have no clue, but I think that Lexus could leave the doors the same and redesign fenders, bumpers and inserts like lights and grilles. This leaves the main structural components the same and only changes stylistic elements that are bolted to the body.

Interior will need an update - probably with at least the 10.3" screen (really more like 12.3") - and RTI. Door panels could probably stay the same with most attention going to the dash and console.

Only thing is that the 4.6L V8 needs an update and I don't know what Lexus would do about that. Some type of power boost with an 8AT is needed, and there's no "off the shelf" solution right now.

With that said, rumor is new Tundra next year and I assume it will need a base V8... so that could be perfect for GX, just as 4.6L V8 is now (and slotted below 5.7L V8 in Tundra).

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
It seemed like it was only going to be a refresh on the current design. Even leaving the interior with a touch screen still instead of the remote touch device. No costing information was given at all, but it did seem likely that we'll keep the current design through 2020.