Certified Refurbished by Toyota

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Apparently Toyota GB (which I assume is not Gibraltar but UK) is going the apple route and trying to extract as much usable and financial life of their vehicles. Sounds like dealerships which used to joke about their is no such thing as the used car factory might have spurred Toyota to do just that. If Burnaston is set as the factory, seems like toyota simply talking about remanafacturing their bread and butter corolla/swace?

Toyota To Extend Its Vehicles’ Life In The UK By Remanufacturing Them Up To Three Times​

Toyota has identified that its vehicles are typically used for three cycles of two to three years, which accounts for the average length of lease contracts in the UK.
The proposed remanufacturing process, which will be applied to fleets through the Kinto sub-brand, will see cars return to the Burnaston factory after their first life cycle to be comprehensively refreshed.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has identified that its vehicles are typically used for three cycles of two to three years, which accounts for the average length of lease contracts in the UK.

The Japanese car manufacturer is prepared to refresh a car twice, giving it three life cycles. After the third cycle, which would be roughly 10 years of use, the company will recycle the vehicle. Toyota hadn’t further elaborated on the details of the vehicle’s end-of-life process, but the emphasis will be on sustainability and reducing environmental impact.

Two things surprised me about this:
  1. Each use cycle (implying each separate owner) only uses (leases rather than purchases) the car for 2 or 3 years, after which the car is remanufactured. Does each user use and abuse the car so hard that it has to be remanufactured?
  2. Each car is only remanufactured twice (implying a useful life of 3 cycles or 6 to 10 years) before it is written off and recycled? Are cars in the UK so badly abused or is this Toyota's method to guarantee that there is a regular market for new vehicles (if each new vehicle is only used for 10 years, that vehicle will have to be replaced every 10 years)? How long are cars driven in North American (USA and Canada) -- 20 to 25 years -- before being scrapped?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^ Depends on your source the average age of cars in UK is ~8 years and on average scrapped after ~14 years. It's shorter than many countries, my guess is more weather damage from humid climate?

I don't know about America but in Japan cars face higher inspection fees after 6 years (used to be merely 4 years!) so owners are discouraged from owning a car long term. Most people sell their cars after 7 years or scrap them after 10. As a result used and scrap yard cars in Japan tend to be of very good condition, and usually get exported to third world countries. The reason Toyota is so popular in those regions is that their cars can last another life cycle of ~10 years after they are resold. Of course some dealers will hold on to the good stuff for 25 years expecting them to explode in value when they export them to America.