Cadillac dealers treading water until de Nysschen's vision materializes (Now cutting 43% of dealers)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Looking at the sales numbers, ATS and CTS are really struggling right now.

Hopefully there will be some good press from ATS-V and CTS-V launches that can trickle down to the lesser models. CT6 is around the corner, but with CTS and ATS doing so poorly, that worries me.

XT5 should be here by the end of the year, I think? Small CUV is next year.

At least they have Escalades...
I think the CUV next year will turn out to be potentially the most important new model, even with the obvious need for a new flagship sedan. It will help fill a rapidly growing segment of the auto industry, give Cadillac an MKC/NX/Q3 fighter, and cost much less than the new flagship......more people will be able to afford it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The ATS is pretty fresh and the ATS coupe is BRAND NEW for this year. This isn't a good sign at all. They clearly missed with the coupe badly.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The ATS is pretty fresh and the ATS coupe is BRAND NEW for this year. This isn't a good sign at all. They clearly missed with the coupe badly.

The ATS-V coupe seems to do well in comparison tests with its BMW-M and Mercedes-AMG competition, and has some good engineering in it. But, granted, it's a low-volume product that doesn't really add much to Cadillac's sales or bottom line.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Coupe is too slab-sided, IMO.

Cadillac's sharp creases don't work quite so well on two doors because there are more expanses of unbroken sheetmetal (IMO).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Coupe is too slab-sided, IMO.

Cadillac's sharp creases don't work quite so well on two doors because there are more expanses of unbroken sheetmetal (IMO).

One thing, on doors, that used to break up the big unbroken expanses of sheet metal were the factory-applied body-side moldings that protected the doors from parking lot dings (though they couldn't always protect from other oddly-shaped doors). Automakers got away from them as standard equipment, generally because of cost-cutting, but some vehicles still offer them as factory or dealer-applied options.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
CTS and ATS (to lesser degree) coupes are weird looking and just another version of the old outdated/Escalade SUV-derived ArtsyFartsyandScience styling theme. Works great on truck/SUV's but not so well on cars. No surprise to me these coupes don't sell. It's going to take a lot more than bodyside moldings to fix styling of these Caddy cars, lol.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
CTS and ATS (to lesser degree) coupes are weird looking and just another version of the old outdated/Escalade SUV-derived ArtsyFartsyandScience styling theme. Works great on truck/SUV's but not so well on cars. No surprise to me these coupes don't sell. It's going to take a lot more than bodyside moldings to fix styling of these Caddy cars, lol.

Well, the styling is indeed controversial. Some like it....others don't. I won't say it's necessarily my favorite, but, to me, it does provide a refreshing change from the look-alike world of aero-styling/jelly-bean shapes and humpback-rooflines. Oddly enough, one other factor that has helped break up at least some of the jelly-bean styling are the very large and/or oddly-shaped grilles found on many vehicles today.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well, the styling is indeed controversial. Some like it....others don't. I won't say it's necessarily my favorite, but, to me, it does provide a refreshing change from the look-alike world of aero-styling/jelly-bean shapes and humpback-rooflines. Oddly enough, one other factor that has helped break up at least some of the jelly-bean styling are the very large and/or oddly-shaped grilles found on many vehicles today.

Refreshing is Jelly Belly candies, certainly not these cars to enthusiasts with educated eyes.

No kidding the wind tunnel keeps cars from having the shape of an H2, but it seems many in the coupe-buying market like sleek cars (as shown by the strong sales numbers) and sleek sport sedans. All this talk of look-alike means little. Most of us can see very distinctive styling differences between the sales leaders (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi), all producing attractive and unique designs with strong sales growth.

Proof is the slow sales, (and the fact that you never bought one too). It will take more than bodyside moldings to fix that unfortunately.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Refreshing is Jelly Belly candies, certainly not these cars to enthusiasts with educated eyes.

Not sure what you mean by "educated eyes". In my view, that would include just about everyone on this forum.

Proof is the slow sales, (and the fact that you never bought one too).

Many of us here are non-Cadillac owners....I believe you recently said that included you.

I'm waiting, BTW, to see what Caddy can come up with next year to compete with the MKC and NX. I definitely like the MKC (and would probably be happy with one in my parking space), but, if Caddy does an equally good job or better with their competitor..........

And I sure hope it's better than the current SRX. I'm with you, at least, where the SRX is concerned...the chunk-block styling just didn't work out on that one, IMO.

It will take more than bodyside moldings to fix that unfortunately.
Well........cheap ones, anyway.:D ;)

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It's quite clear that outside the Escalade, consumers have mostly shunned Cadillac's styling and products. I agree that outside of big SUVs, Cadillac's styling theme is quite awkward and just not appealing to the market. Sure, it is refreshing yes, but that hasn't helped make it a market success. For example, I personally find it refreshing whenever I see a new Cadillac on the road. Would I ever actually buy one? Certainly not. Even the Escalade for me would be a rental at most. Yet Cadillac continues soldiering on with this styling theme. It's been virtually unchanged for over a decade.

As a brand, aside from this serious styling issue, Cadillac has a number of other major issues. For the brand to become a big contender again, there is a huge mountain to climb for GM. The top competition is only getting stronger.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It's quite clear that outside the Escalade, consumers have mostly shunned Cadillac's styling and products. I agree that outside of big SUVs, Cadillac's styling theme is quite awkward and just not appealing to the market. Sure, it is refreshing yes, but that hasn't helped make it a market success. For example, I personally find it refreshing whenever I see a new Cadillac on the road. Would I ever actually buy one? Certainly not. Even the Escalade for me would be a rental at most. Yet Cadillac continues soldiering on with this styling theme. It's been virtually unchanged for over a decade.

Heck, that's probably short by Cadillac standards. LOL :D The vertical taillight theme was derived from the vertical tail fin and / or squared-off fender theme, which itself dates back to 1949. And THAT idea was taken from fighter planes (specifically, the P-38 Lightning) which dated back another 10 years, to the start of World War II.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Despite Caddys outdated styling theme, a clean ATS always catches my eye (unique in a good way:)), it has a nice sports sedan stance and cool lights up front too. But I'd never own one, due to typical GM lack of engine refinement, heavy depreciation, mediocre reliability, and over-styled plasticky dash/steering wheel/console not expected in premium car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Despite Caddys outdated styling theme, a clean ATS always catches my eye (unique in a good way:)), it has a nice sports sedan stance and cool lights up front too. But I'd never own one, due to typical GM lack of engine refinement, heavy depreciation, mediocre reliability, and over-styled plasticky dash/steering wheel/console not expected in premium car.

Cadillacs, depending on model, according to Consumer Reports, actually run the whole gamut in reliability, from very good to very bad. As far as refinement goes, the engines are not always the smoothest, but GM automatic transmissions, especially at Buick and Cadillac, are some of the silkiest in the business.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Cadillacs, depending on model, according to Consumer Reports, actually run the whole gamut in reliability, from very good to very bad. As far as refinement goes, the engines are not always the smoothest, but GM automatic transmissions, especially at Buick and Cadillac, are some of the silkiest in the business.

Yes common knowledge here.

Inconsistent reliability is hardly confidence-inspiring and probably contributes to Caddy poor resale values too.

I specifically mentioned ATS above, which CR (actually) reported reliability being much worse than average. We know about "silky" transmissions here, common also with Lexus ES, IS, GS and LS sedans. No dual clutch low speed drivability problems, etc. too.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's de Nysschen’s latest announcements on the subject;

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150807/RETAIL/150809864/cadillac-works-to-revise-dealer-incentives

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. -- Two main elements of Johan de Nysschen’s plan to rehabilitate Cadillac’s image are to tighten dealers’ inventories and quash their sell-at-any-cost mentality.

There’s a big problem though: Cadillac’s dealer-incentive programs today are designed to do just the opposite. One makes cash payouts for growing sales; the other attaches up to $700 in dealer bonus money to every vehicle they order from the factory.

De Nysschen, Cadillac’s president, says those programs must change for dealers to adopt a true luxury mindset, one based on an engaging customer experience, rather than sales volume.

“The business model has been structured more for the bigger brands inside General Motors, rather than the small Cadillac brand,” de Nysschen said here at a test drive event for the media. “The luxury business is different.”

He said Cadillac is in talks with its national dealer council “to develop the next generation of what these programs should look like for Cadillac.”

It’s an example of the obstacles de Nysschen faces in reshaping Cadillac’s retail network into something that more closely resembles those of German luxury brands such as BMW or Audi. Most of Cadillac’s more than 900 dealerships are hard-wired to carry far more inventory than other luxury stores, often moving the metal through deep discounts.

A Midwest Cadillac dealer, who didn’t want to be identified discussing factory business, believes it would be difficult for many dealers to fathom an incentive program that’s not tied to sales performance.

“There’s only one thing that matters, and it’s selling more cars,” said the dealer, who said he sells a couple dozen Cadillacs a month. “I did not come in here today to buy more digital stuff for the showroom.”

Taken together, the two incentive programs provide an important revenue stream that many dealerships depend on to pad their bottom lines.

Essential Brand Elements, or EBE, expires in fall of 2016. GM introduced it in 2009 across the Chevrolet, Buick-GMC and Cadillac sales channels, primarily to defray the cost of renovating dealerships or building new ones.

Dealers qualify for EBE by adhering to Cadillac’s facility standards, along with jumping through less onerous hoops, such as employee training. They’re paid $400 to $700 per vehicle they order, depending on volumes.

Standards For Excellence

The other program is Standards For Excellence, in place since at least the mid-1990s. Dealers pay a fee upfront for the chance to get paid a quarterly bonus if they hit certain targets. The main hurdle is to sell at least one more vehicle than in the year-earlier quarter. That pays 80 percent of the quarterly bonus, which can range from less than $10,000 for small dealerships to more than $200,000 for bigger stores.

De Nysschen says he would like to keep a pot of money to reward “top-performing dealers,” but not necessarily those who are increasing sales fastest.

Instead, he wants to pay dealers “in terms of the overall support to the brand.” That could mean benchmarks for customer satisfaction scores, for example. Or it could include requirements to have adequate employee-recruiting processes in place or in-store digital displays.

“What I see as the future model of what comes next after SFE and EBE is to have a system that also drives the right behaviors,” de Nysschen said. “If you don’t exhibit the right behaviors, you won’t be rewarded.” c

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, good find on this article/update. Seems to me some direction from corporate might not be mentioned, with more attention placed on profitability and other internal metrics. They might need to redo that bonus plan completely.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Heck, that's probably short by Cadillac standards. LOL :D The vertical taillight theme was derived from the vertical tail fin and / or squared-off fender theme, which itself dates back to 1949. And THAT idea was taken from fighter planes (specifically, the P-38 Lightning) which dated back another 10 years, to the start of World War II.

Well that's part of the problem right there. Cadillac's glacial pace on styling.

Here's de Nysschen’s latest announcements on the subject;

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150807/RETAIL/150809864/cadillac-works-to-revise-dealer-incentives

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. -- Two main elements of Johan de Nysschen’s plan to rehabilitate Cadillac’s image are to tighten dealers’ inventories and quash their sell-at-any-cost mentality.

There’s a big problem though: Cadillac’s dealer-incentive programs today are designed to do just the opposite. One makes cash payouts for growing sales; the other attaches up to $700 in dealer bonus money to every vehicle they order from the factory.

De Nysschen, Cadillac’s president, says those programs must change for dealers to adopt a true luxury mindset, one based on an engaging customer experience, rather than sales volume.

“The business model has been structured more for the bigger brands inside General Motors, rather than the small Cadillac brand,” de Nysschen said here at a test drive event for the media. “The luxury business is different.”

He said Cadillac is in talks with its national dealer council “to develop the next generation of what these programs should look like for Cadillac.”

It’s an example of the obstacles de Nysschen faces in reshaping Cadillac’s retail network into something that more closely resembles those of German luxury brands such as BMW or Audi. Most of Cadillac’s more than 900 dealerships are hard-wired to carry far more inventory than other luxury stores, often moving the metal through deep discounts.

A Midwest Cadillac dealer, who didn’t want to be identified discussing factory business, believes it would be difficult for many dealers to fathom an incentive program that’s not tied to sales performance.

“There’s only one thing that matters, and it’s selling more cars,” said the dealer, who said he sells a couple dozen Cadillacs a month. “I did not come in here today to buy more digital stuff for the showroom.”

Taken together, the two incentive programs provide an important revenue stream that many dealerships depend on to pad their bottom lines.

Essential Brand Elements, or EBE, expires in fall of 2016. GM introduced it in 2009 across the Chevrolet, Buick-GMC and Cadillac sales channels, primarily to defray the cost of renovating dealerships or building new ones.

Dealers qualify for EBE by adhering to Cadillac’s facility standards, along with jumping through less onerous hoops, such as employee training. They’re paid $400 to $700 per vehicle they order, depending on volumes.

Standards For Excellence

The other program is Standards For Excellence, in place since at least the mid-1990s. Dealers pay a fee upfront for the chance to get paid a quarterly bonus if they hit certain targets. The main hurdle is to sell at least one more vehicle than in the year-earlier quarter. That pays 80 percent of the quarterly bonus, which can range from less than $10,000 for small dealerships to more than $200,000 for bigger stores.

De Nysschen says he would like to keep a pot of money to reward “top-performing dealers,” but not necessarily those who are increasing sales fastest.

Instead, he wants to pay dealers “in terms of the overall support to the brand.” That could mean benchmarks for customer satisfaction scores, for example. Or it could include requirements to have adequate employee-recruiting processes in place or in-store digital displays.

“What I see as the future model of what comes next after SFE and EBE is to have a system that also drives the right behaviors,” de Nysschen said. “If you don’t exhibit the right behaviors, you won’t be rewarded.” c

I find it strange that article snubs/omits Lexus and its place in the luxury market in terms of inventories and customer service experience. Lexus is a known leader in many of these areas; it's sad to see articles like this that only mention "The Germans" and omit any mention of Lexus.

With that said, definitely a very uphill battle to climb. Johan de Nysschen basically has to fight GM's existing corporate culture, as well as the overall American corporate culture many of these dealers have.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well that's part of the problem right there. Cadillac's glacial pace on styling.

I understand your comments on the glacial styling pace (and, to some extent, agree with them). But, on the other hand, sometimes when Cadillac HAS tried something radically different from their norm, they got into hot water. The 1980 Seville was a classic example....it was panned from the start.

And if the looks on that thing weren't enough to pan it, guess what what was under the hood? The 5.7L Diesel V8, arguably the most unreliable engine GM ever built....though the Vega's came close.

tumblr_nblpqaJ5hX1qg2y00o3_1280.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Yes, don't miss that! Oh my.

Yeah good taste (lacking ^ ) might have been helpful at Caddy, same applies today.