Cadillac CELESTIQ

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
All the initial stories I have read said that Cadillac hopes to go up against Rolls-Royce and Bentley but, in my opinion, this does not have the on-road presence of a RR or Bentley.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
All the initial stories I have read said that Cadillac hopes to go up against Rolls-Royce and Bentley but, in my opinion, this does not have the on-road presence of a RR or Bentley.
I always wonder when an auto mfg decides to shift upmarket, do they have a dedicated feasibility study with actual targeted clientele or are do they just throw **** at the ceiling and hope it sticks with targeted PR campaigns?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I can't stop imagining how much more beautiful it would have been as a 3-box sedan, rear end being designed similar to the Sixteen concept. Oh well! The humpback rear just is.. too humpback-y, needs to be more like the Audi A5 SB/A7 SB imo.

I'd love to see this in two versions, a 3-box and a "sport"/hatchback, instead of being half one and half the other.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
It sure is grand! This is definitely what Cadillac needed.. some of their extravagance back! But, a little skeptical of the >300k starting price. Definitely worth over 150k, but idk about 300k.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The only, and I mean ONLY, thing I don't like and admire about this design is the top rear light. Why does it have to be shaped like a hockey stick and go all the way up the C/D pillar?

Pretty killer car otherwise. I applaud Cadillac for this.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
The only, and I mean ONLY, thing I don't like and admire about this design is the top rear light. Why does it have to be shaped like a hockey stick and go all the way up the C/D pillar?

Pretty killer car otherwise. I applaud Cadillac for this.
get a black one and tint that portion of the light to almost match body color.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Nope. Cadillac has struggled to make really good luxury vehicles for the last 1-2 decades. The brand has been very "un-special" by nearly every measure. Questionable quality. Very questionable reliability. Cheap interiors. Now they're suddenly going to build ultra luxury vehicles at 3-5x the price of where they've traditionally been?

The brand new Escalade looks like a believable step in the right direction. But this?

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Nope. Cadillac has struggled to make really good luxury vehicles for the last 1-2 decades. The brand has been very "un-special" by nearly every measure. Questionable quality. Very questionable reliability. Cheap interiors. Now they're suddenly going to build ultra luxury vehicles at 3-5x the price of where they've traditionally been?

The brand new Escalade looks like a believable step in the right direction. But this?

The brand is a US niche that's true but their concepts over the decades have all been in ultra-luxury category. Probably the bean counters or the lack of proper craftsmanship and suppliers have prevented them to ever build and offer Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, Elmiraj. Who would have thought Innerspace would actually turn into a ultra-luxury production car.

Anyway my guess is they priced it in 300K because they couldn't integrate the craftsmanship into serial production to lower the price. Current Escalade is way better than XLR squeak and rattle interior but it still feels GMis just like how Lincoln feels like Ford.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
The brand is a US niche that's true but their concepts over the decades have all been in ultra-luxury category. Probably the bean counters or the lack of proper craftsmanship and suppliers have prevented them to ever build and offer Sixteen, Cien, Ciel, Elmiraj. Who would have thought Innerspace would actually turn into a ultra-luxury production car.

Anyway my guess is they priced it in 300K because they couldn't integrate the craftsmanship into serial production to lower the price. Current Escalade is way better than XLR squeak and rattle interior but it still feels GMis just like how Lincoln feels like Ford.
Ultra luxury concepts with Under luxury products. Great business.

Test drove a $130k 2023 Escalade and it was very nice in the front 1/3rd, but the back 2/3rd felt cheap and didn't feel like the overall vehicle was worth cost. Now, I'll readily admit that maybe I overvalue quality and reliability but I'm quite comfortable with that at the moment.

Anyways, Cadillac should prove they can repeatedly and reliably make 1,000s of luxury vehicles that people really want and that hold their value before deciding to swim way up stream. That's my last Cadillac take. Care very little for this obviously fake luxury brand, but always amazed so many Americans somehow hold them in high regard.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Care very little for this obviously fake luxury brand, but always amazed so many Americans somehow hold them in high regard.

Until the early 80s, Cadillac was a legit luxury brand, and pretty much the only one in the US. (BMW/Mercedes/Audi existed but were niche players and not very serious about the US market). That kind of dominance casts a long shadow, and the big success of the Escalade has kept that idea alive even if the rest of their lineup is largely underwhelming.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Until the early 80s, Cadillac was a legit luxury brand, and pretty much the only one in the US. (BMW/Mercedes/Audi existed but were niche players and not very serious about the US market). That kind of dominance casts a long shadow, and the big success of the Escalade has kept that idea alive even if the rest of their lineup is largely underwhelming.

That was 40 years ago. This forums namesake, Lexus, didn't even start until 1989. Toyota was a small player nationally and internationally until the late 80s when Japanese brands really ramped up in the US. Saturn was America's answer to Japanese car brands and was semi-successful for a hot minute.

Cadillacs shadow was already on Hospice 20 years ago.