Buick Regal Lives On In China With A New Face And Massive Grille

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
This is aimed mainly at @mmcartalk, a life-long fan of Buick.

I find this interesting. The current generation Buick Regal was developed by GM's European subsidiary Opel as the Opel Insignia and rebadged as a Buick. Opel (and its sister nameplate Vauxhall) was later sold to the PSA Group.

PSA Group later discontinued the Insignia. The badge-engineered Buick Regal, however, lived on in China (although discontinued in North America when Opel was sold).

So the question in my mind was -- and is: Who owns the technology rights to the latest Opel Insignia? It shared its platform with the still-produced Chevrolet Malibu so I guess GM owns the platform technology, and since the model lives on (and is being facelifted) in China, I guess that GM retained ownership of the Insignia technology (although PSA Group owned the model name?).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This is aimed mainly at @mmcartalk, a life-long fan of Buick.

Thanks, Sulu. :) Always liked the nameplate, and had a couple of used Buicks back when was in college in the early 70s. Then their quality went south during that decade, and did not really come back again to my satisfaction for almost 40 years...I finally came back home to them in 2012 with the Verano, and have stayed with them ever since.

PSA Group later discontinued the Insignia. The badge-engineered Buick Regal, however, lived on in China (although discontinued in North America

Buick discontinued all of their North-American market passenger-cars....all that is left currently are crossovers.

when Opel was sold).So the question in my mind was -- and is: Who owns the technology rights to the latest Opel Insignia? It shared its platform with the still-produced Chevrolet Malibu so I guess GM owns the platform technology, and since the model lives on (and is being facelifted) in China, I guess that GM retained ownership of the Insignia technology (although PSA Group owned the model name?).

I am not a lawyer, but you are probably correct about the ownership.

Buick did the same thing with the new Regal they are doing with all their other products.....giving them that Wildcat-inspired shark-grille up front , the new Buick tri-shield logo, and the large video-screens across the dash.

1689642346674.png

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The front end looks a bit like some mid-teens Fords, but it's a good looking car. Too bad it's only for ChDM.