Bon voyage, LS460. Hello LS500

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So I have a new minor peeve, but it's probably not specific to the LS. My workplace is in an office park that was quite literally carved out of a forest in the 1980s. So it's quite common to have trees and brush right up against the outer parking spaces. This means that when I'm pulling into one of those spaces, the Safety System goes nuts thinking I'm about to hit something, even though I'm not and it's just some leaves anyway. That's fine. What's not fine is when I go to leave. When I put the car into reverse, the Safety System again goes nuts even though I'm in reverse and there is no way I could possibly hit something in front of me. This is not only annoying, but it takes away from my ability to tell if there's a legitimate problem behind me or on the rear cross-traffic sensors.

Wow that certainly sounds annoying! Given the extended development cycle of the 5LS you would think that would have been something Toyota caught in testing. Can the Safety System alerts on the 5LS be disabled completely, or at the very least can the sensitivity of the different Safety Systems be changed? I only have limited experience with Toyota's new Safety Systems. I know on the 4RX some Safety System sensitivity settings can be changed.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The new safety system lets you temporarily mute the alerts until the car's moved a significant distance/gone over a certain speed, which is super nice for drive-thru situations compared to the old system. In this case I don't *want* to mute it in case something comes up behind me, and I pretty much just have to watch everything.

And as I said, I'll be surprised if this same thing doesn't occur with other cars with the new Safety System.

Reactions: CIF

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I maybe missed it but could not find; how is the turbo lag? Is is responsive? How is it compared to other NA Lexus engines and other FI engines (BMW I6, Audi/Porsche V6, Infiniti 3.0l V6)?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I don't notice any lag unless I'm actively hunting for it, and I even drive with the boost meter enabled in the middle of the tach most of the time. One thing I've noticed vs. other turbo cars is that it's pretty aggressive about cranking the boost level even under minor acceleration and in eco mode. I had one experience early on where I was making a left turn and I hit the pedal pretty hard because of muscle memory of the LS460 and the thing took off so fast I almost lost control. Fortunately the handling bailed me out.

Vs. NA Lexus engines it has some nice early torque coming from a dead stop, which for me fixes probably my top drivability peeve of the LS460. I haven't driven recent examples of those FI competitors so I can't speak to their characteristics. I'd defer to someone like Mike on that, who gets paid to drive awesome cars ;-)

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt @Levi 0 and I mean 0 turbo lag.. The new TTV6 takes off and it really does have a high power band throughout the entire range... it comes in very early around 1600 and goes to 4800 and when your in Sport+ the full 6000... it really is a very powerful motor. IMO.

R,

Markus

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Let's not over-praise the car. As Scotty would say, "Ye cannae defy the laws of physics, Cap'n!" and turbo lag is one of those things. It does exist, it's just at a level that I find to be wholly acceptable.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt how is the head room in the front and rear with the pano roof? also need to discuss a couple things in relation to my purchase need some advice.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Again, you didn't notice this on your own test? Headroom is fine for me (I'm 6'1") both front and rear with the pano roof. Actually getting in and out is tighter than on the 460 (hence the CUV craze), but once inside the space works for me. PM me if you want for purchase advice.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt yes I did!! Just trying to get other opinions and stuff. I actually just came from Sheehy Lexus in Annapolis. I’ll send you a pm shortly. I believe I sent you a pm a while ago but I don’t think you seen it.

Markus

Reactions
Markus, have a look at the three reviewers in this Consumer Reports review released just a few days ago.
Jump to 00:04'40" for the LS500.
They said the LS line of cars has been an excellent ultra-luxury vehicle for years; at the top, or near the top.
You be the judge; maybe just terribly biased reviewers etc...

Reactions
@peterharvey whats up sir! i think this is the latter.. i think these 3 people were just terrribly bias against lexus. I think consumer reports has always been lexus bias. its sad.

Yeah its a little weird from them that they continuously support Toyota in their reviews but bash Lexus at the same time. It's like they don't even know they're under the same corporation, but whatever. e_e

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
They have no credibility with me at all. They did a **** review on the 5LS which came in second to the genesis.. you kidding me right? The LS won that hands down. Just bias idiots the same as consumer reports.

Reactions
They have no credibility with me at all. They did a **** review on the 5LS which came in second to the genesis.. you kidding me right? The LS won that hands down. Just bias idiots the same as consumer reports.

Oh honey good thing you haven't seen the comparison test from Motor Trend, then you would explode with even more anger.