Bob Lutz on Tesla

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm a big fan of Bob Lutz....always was. I don't always agree with him 100% of the time (such as on the inevitability of low-profile tires, for existence)....but I have an enormous amount of respect for him. He knows the car business probably like no other executive today (better than Iacocca, IMO, who sometimes sounded like a snake-oil salesman), and when Lutz comes out and says something drastic about a manufacturer or product, you can usually take it seriously.

Lutz, BTW, does a monthly column in Road & Track, sometimes answering questions from viewers. This was one of those monthly columns, though it was obviously a narrative and not a Q/A session.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26859/bob-lutz-tesla/

Tesla's showing all the signs of a company in trouble: bleeding cash, securitized assets, and mounting inventory. It's the trifecta of doom for any automaker, and anyone paying attention probably saw this coming a mile away. Like most big puzzles, the company's woes don't have just one source.

It's true that the world may be running light on buyers who will spring for a big-dollar electric vehicle that can't make the hike from Detroit to Chicago without stopping for a long charge. And cheap gasoline isn't helping Tesla's case. Right now, prices around the country are hovering close to $2 a gallon. If that's bad news for the Prius and the Volt, it's worse for the Model S.

In addition, there's never been any secret sauce to the company's battery technology. The automakers that bought into Tesla's tech early did so to avoid having to pony up development dollars on first-generation battery packs of their own. Now that Audi has announced it's getting into the EV game, Tesla should be even more concerned. If you're a luxury buyer, which car would you rather have?

And then there's the distribution problem. Nobody has ever been successful with company stores, though plenty of manufacturers have tried them. When I came to BMW in the Seventies, it had five factory stores. The idea was, like Tesla, to be in control of the retail environment and give customers an upscale experience. They were all money pits.

I think Tesla CEO Elon Musk figured that if factory stores work for Apple, they'll work for Tesla. But the fixed costs for an Apple store are next to nothing compared with a car dealership's. Smartphones and laptops don't need anything beyond a mall storefront and a staff of kids. A car dealership is very different. It sits on multiple acres. You need a big building with service bays, chargers, and a trained sales force, plus all the necessary finance and accounting people. It ties up a staggering amount of capital, especially when you factor in inventory. Under a traditional franchise arrangement, the factory never has to carry that burden. Right now, Tesla does.

gallery-1445871089-gettyimages-493893234.jpg

Stockholders may be clinging to the hope that the company's upcoming crossover will help put Tesla back on track, but there's little evidence to bolster that optimism. A big, expensive vehicle with a compromised structure to accommodate gullwing doors can hardly be a sales knockout.

If I were sitting in Musk's seat, I would take an urgent look at cutting cost. Not just taking cost out of the car, but reducing expense in general. When they have a situation where, on an operating basis, they're losing $4000 per car, they're in trouble. At some point, they're not going to get any more money.

I would seriously consider an entry-level model with a cheaper, range-extended hybrid driveline. Something with a much smaller battery that also looks great and drives great. Something that's electric most of the time, say 50 or 60 miles, but can carry on under gasoline power past that. Would an internal-combustion engine dilute the Tesla brand? Maybe, but everyone said Porsche could never build a front-engine car, and look how that turned out.

I like Elon Musk personally, and I think the Model S is a fabulous car, but history's filled with defunct companies with great products run by brilliant people. Unless Tesla rights its organization and products in a hurry, it'll join those ranks.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I myself tend to be critical of what I sometimes think is unnecessary (and insulting) cost-cutting in new vehicles. But, in this article, Lutz, to me at least, seems to be criticizing Tesla's excessive cost of running their business and company-owned stores, more so than simply putting too much money into the vehicles themselves.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I already read that in my R&T earlier, and find some of his business and technology skills needed in 2015 to be a bit light. He certainly has pointed out several risks that were already well known (nothing new), but Tesla is a lot more nimble than most of the companies he was associated with.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I already read that in my R&T earlier, and find some of his business and technology skills needed in 2015 to be a bit light. He certainly has pointed out several risks that were already well known (nothing new), but Tesla is a lot more nimble than most of the companies he was associated with.

Perhaps I used the wrong term, at least to a degree. He's a car guy, no question about that. But he's also succeeded very well at being an auto executive at the same time, not just a guy who, like us, enjoys cars and driving.

Do you subscribe to R&T? I get the paper copy every month, but only because I get it very cheap, and the paper articles tend to be printed (and read) before they end up putting them on their web site. Otherwise, just subscribing to the paper copy would probably be a waste of money.

I still think he has a point on Tesla shops being money-pits for the company. No auto company, to date, has ever really succeeded with company-owned shops, and some states, of course, don't even allow them in their franchise-laws.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Do you subscribe to R&T? I get the paper copy every month, but only because I get it very cheap, and the paper articles tend to be printed (and read) before they end up putting them on their web site. Otherwise, just subscribing to the paper copy would probably be a waste of money.

I still think he has a point on Tesla shops being money-pits for the company. No auto company, to date, has ever really succeeded with company-owned shops, and some states, of course, don't even allow them in their franchise-laws.

Yes, I have subscribed to R&T and C&D for decades. They are dirt cheap for anybody to subscribe to.

Tesla is doing a lot of things never done by another car company, and copying any of the established American car companies and their ways of doing business is often not worth the bother.

The business risks are real and nothing new to those that know the company. Many of us here in Silicon Valley/world's tech capital are very familiar with this company.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, I have subscribed to R&T and C&D for decades. They are dirt cheap for anybody to subscribe to.

I get C&D even cheaper....for free. A friend of mine and I trade off LOL. With everything being on the web site now, though, there is less reason to get paper copies, unless one wants to read something immediately, before they put it on the site.

Tesla is doing a lot of things never done by another car company, and copying any of the established American car companies and their ways of doing business is often not worth the bother.

The business risks are real and nothing new to those that know the company. Many of us here in Silicon Valley/world's tech capital are very familiar with this company.

You aren't alone. It sells well in the D.C. area too. There is a Tesla store just a couple of miles from my house, though it is rather bare and not very well-finished, and stuck right in with several other upmarket/luxury-brand dealerships all around it (Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes).

Well, we'll just see, with time, if Lutz is correct. He didn't get to where he is by being incompetent, but, of course, to an extent, one could also say the same for Elon Musk.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well, we'll just see, with time, if Lutz is correct. He didn't get to where he is by being incompetent, but, of course, to an extent, one could also say the same for Elon Musk.

Speaking of success, one can not say the same for Elon Musk because he's in a different league.
Fyi - Elon Musk is far richer than Lutz ever was or ever will be.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Speaking of success, one can not say the same for Elon Musk because he's in a different league.
Fyi - Elon Musk is far richer than Lutz ever was or ever will be.

Lutz certainly has nothing to apologize for. He's had an excellent career serving both his country (as a Marine fighter pilot) and contributing to the auto industry over the years. And, as far as money goes, you can bet that he's not sleeping on any grates LOL.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lutz certainly has nothing to apologize for. He's had an excellent career serving both his country (as a Marine fighter pilot) and contributing to the auto industry over the years. And, as far as money goes, you can bet that he's not sleeping on any grates LOL.

Like I said, these 2 are in very different leagues. But yes, millionaires like Lutz and billionaires like Musk don't sleep on grates LOL.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They need volume. That expensive Model X won't help much. They have to move downmarket and the smaller sedan is coming. Also it seems quality/reliability is an issue which means after the novelty wears off, is it a great ownership experience?

Only time will tell.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I have to agree with IS-SV here.

Lutz is pointing out the obvious here. Sure these may be relevant to Tesla, but Elon Musk is no fool. The man is a genius. He's the closest person to a real-life Tony Stark that currently exists in the world today. In fact, the director of the first Iron Man film from 2008, Jon Favreau, said in interviews that Tony Stark in the Marvel films was partially modeled after Elon Musk himself. That is some high praise indeed.

Elon Musk was a co-founder of Paypal, and after Paypal was sold off to Ebay, he used his financial resources to start not one, but two revolutionary companies in SpaceX and Tesla.

I'm sure Musk is acutely aware of the issues Tesla faces. If anyone can solve Tesla's issues, it's Musk.

Lutz has made a few massive blunders during his career, that many would say he should apologize for. I personally have a highly critical view on Lutz, as I am well-aware of his automotive career.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lutz has made a few massive blunders during his career, that many would say he should apologize for. I personally have a highly critical view on Lutz, as I am well-aware of his automotive career.

As usual, I'll respect your opinion, but it's hard for me to criticize Lutz. If it wasn't for him, the car I'm driving today (and really like, BTW) probably wouldn't even exist. I do agree with you, though, that he's getting up in years, and won't be much of a factor in the industry much longer.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Behind due to capacity issues, including direct labor force allocating time for training on building new SUV.

Last edited: