BMW is Killing the 8 Coupe and Cabriolet

Och

Admirer
Reactions
That's a shame. I know I'm in the minority, but I like that car -- especially the Gran Coupe. Glad that one might live on, I guess...?

The grand coupe is completely different, its an 8 series in the name only - much like its predecessor 6 series, there was a coupe and the GC, and the GC remained after the coupe was discontinued.

I like the 8 series coupe, and was considering the M8, until I test drove it. It's got the about the worst ergonomics and visibility of any car I drove, reminded me of the SC430.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
"8 Series is better than LC, it has AWD, TT V8, is faster, more tech....."

Still doesn't sell (enough for finance department).

I saw the new SL on the road. I doubt it will be a sales success. They made a mistake not making it a BEV, now the Maserati Granturismo is the first BEV Coupe, and we know Maserati/Alfa don't sell be "reliability", but that is ok when it is a Range Rover or a Tesla.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Love the look of the 8 series coupe. I have never driven it, but on looks alone I think it is great. Sad to hear it is going away, I will never understand the love affair with the SUV. I just don’t get it.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Love the look of the 8 series coupe. I have never driven it, but on looks alone I think it is great. Sad to hear it is going away, I will never understand the love affair with the SUV. I just don’t get it.

It looks good, but its a horrible ergonomic clusterpluck. Low roof, thick pillars, high dash and window sills, long hood. We considered a M8 and test drove one, and were very disappointed. I'm 6'4, I could barely fit with my head pressed against the roof, I couldn't see jack out of the car. My wife is 5'4, she couldn't see anything over the dash and long hood. We went with a X6M instead. With the current trend of shrinking greenhouses, you need a tall SUV to have some sort of visibility out of the damn thing.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
It looks good, but its a horrible ergonomic clusterpluck. Low roof, thick pillars, high dash and window sills, long hood. We considered a M8 and test drove one, and were very disappointed. I'm 6'4, I could barely fit with my head pressed against the roof, I couldn't see jack out of the car. My wife is 5'4, she couldn't see anything over the dash and long hood. We went with a X6M instead. With the current trend of shrinking greenhouses, you need a tall SUV to have some sort of visibility out of the damn thing.
Thanks for the added information. Doesn’t sound good from a livability standpoint. I love coupes, but mine is a 2015 2 series which has been easy to live with, not a small greenhouse. I look forward to the next RC.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Thanks for the added information. Doesn’t sound good from a livability standpoint. I love coupes, but mine is a 2015 2 series which has been easy to live with, not a small greenhouse. I look forward to the next RC.

Yep, the 2 series is BMWs best car all around.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I disagree.. for me it was the launch of BMW's not looking like BMW's anymore. Especially when you compare it to the 6-Series Coupe.
8 Series, X5 were the first BMW's looking like Kia/Hyundai. Probably good looking, but not BMW identity. Still better than "not BMW, but, 'Lexus ugly'".

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I used to love large luxury sedans. Large proper SUVs are just so much more practical though. I fully understand why the interest in products like this is waning at least in the US.

mikeavelli

Reactions
No surprise. From my understanding this was supposed to be badged a 6 series and they decided to change to 8. The last 8 series was as good
as it got. Still beautiful and a design knock out. Respectfully the 8 coupe looks like a mustang and the gran coupe a kia stinger. If it was going to be an 8 series it was a major opportunity to make something unique and beautiful. Interior ain’t great either and these things START at 135k or so.

I can only imagine the joy of that wonderful engine they have in the LC…..