BMW cuts No Cost Scheduled Maintenance - 3 years, 36k miles and no brakes for MY 2017

mikeavelli

Reactions
No Official BMW announcement yet but dealers have been notified.

Its a pretty big change.

Source
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889900

attachment.php

BMW has just informed dealers that starting in Model Year (MY) 2017 the included No Cost Schedule Maintenance program will be reduced to a 3 year, 36,000 mile program. Currently BMW is offering a 4 year, 50,000 mile program with new car. Furthermore the new program staring for all 2017 vehicles no longer includes brake pads, brake rotors, wiper blades, engine belts or manual transmission clutches. As is currently the new program will also be non-transferable.

In March of 2016, right when the first round of MY 2017 vehicles go on sale, BMW will being offering new maintenance program upgrades (MPU). These MPUs will be sold by the dealership and will further enhance and extended maintenance coverage.

This is a significant reduction in ownership value, especially in the 4th year when brake replacement is likely needed. Some Model Year (MY) 2017 production starts as soon as March (BMW production chart) so if you were on the fence about buying now or waiting to get a 2017 model this is something you should consider.

Complete 2016 Model Year BMW Pricing and Ordering Guides - All Models

The table below outlines the covered content in both the current 4 year, 50,000 mile program and the new 3 year, 36,000 mile No Cost Schedule Maintenance program. The new program applies to new car sales with a model year 2017 or great.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm not surprised to see free brake/clutch parts and wiper blades cut back. With wiper blades, simple ozone in the air (or misuse of the blades themselves by operating them on too-dry windshields, which I see all the time), can abrade, crack, or wear them out prematurely, and, of course, aggressive drivers can be notoriously hard on brakes and clutches.

Good post, Mike. :)

Reactions
The 30 Thousandaire lease club better take notice...then again, how many of them lease their vehicles over 36 months.