AutoNews:Has the Taurus comeback story come to an end?

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/201.../has-the-taurus-comeback-story-come-to-an-end

DETROIT -- The Ford Taurus -- a once-revolutionary nameplate that Ford Motor Co. already killed once, until Alan Mulally arrived and gave it new life -- again has an uncertain future, at least on this side of the globe.

U.S. sales of the Taurus, like many large cars, are tanking, down 28 percent through July. Ford unveiled a redesigned Taurus in April but said it was designed only to be built and sold in China.

Ford hasn't revealed any updates for the Taurus in North America, suggesting the current generation, introduced in 2009 and updated in 2012, will linger on dealership lots for at least a few more years. If sales keep falling, analysts speculate Ford could eliminate U.S. production of it and either import the small volume it needs here from China or leave the full-size sedan segment to its Lincoln brand, which will roll out the Continental next year.

Chris Lemley, a Ford dealer in Medford, Mass., said he keeps requesting more Tauruses but has received very few each month. He figures Ford would rather maximize output of the highly profitable Explorer at the Chicago plant where both vehicles are built.

"If they want to retain Taurus long term, they need to produce and sell more of them in the short term," Lemley wrote in an email. "Right now, we are below the threshold level of inventory to participate meaningfully in the D [full-size] segment."

Mulally, who studied Ford's development of the Taurus while working for Boeing, had a clear affinity for the sedan. Upon being hired as CEO in 2006, he criticized the logic of Ford casting aside one of its most recognizable names and ordered the Five Hundred -- a full-size car, whereas the former Taurus was a midsize -- be hurriedly overhauled and renamed to become Ford's flagship sedan. When he retired last year, he took a Taurus home with him to Seattle.

But Ford has allowed the Taurus to languish, showing little interest in making the investment necessary to compete with the redesigned Chevrolet Impala and Toyota Avalon. With Mulally gone and the full-size sedan market down 18 percent this year, the Taurus is likely to get even fewer resources.

Ford hasn't given any hints about what it may do.

"Taurus continues to play an important role in our North America vehicle lineup," Ford spokesman Said Deep said.

About 20 percent of Tauruses are converted into police cars. That business is an incentive for Ford to keep the Taurus in the U.S. to some degree, though the Police Interceptor Utility, based on the Explorer, is far more popular, and sales of the sedan version are falling.

Despite Mulally's criticism of the move nine years ago, replacing the midsize Taurus sedan with the Fusion has been a positive for Ford. By the end of its life, the old Taurus was ubiquitous on rental-car lots and absent from most car shoppers' consideration lists. But the Fusion vaulted Ford back into contention with Toyota and Honda, particularly after a 2012 redesign that featured the kind of bold styling most sedans had been missing.

In fact, the current Taurus has suffered partly because of the Fusion's success. Despite being a class bigger, the Taurus has slightly less front and rear legroom, front headroom and passenger volume than the Fusion, leaving few reasons, other than a larger trunk, to pay the Taurus' higher price. The Taurus starts at $27,930, including shipping, about $5,000 more than the Fusion.

In the U.S., Ford sold more Fusions in July than it has sold Tauruses in all of 2015, excluding police cars. It's on pace for full-year U.S. sales of 45,000 Tauruses, including police cars, which would be an all-time low, and 290,000 Fusions.

"You'd have trouble finding consumers out there -- especially the desirable [younger] demographics -- who would look at the car and have any kind of awareness of it and affinity for it," said Karl Brauer, senior director of insights for KBB. "There are so many strikes against almost any car in that category and then a few more against the Taurus."

mikeavelli

Reactions
Wow, not a good sign. I have to admit I rarely seem them and the SHO seems to be as rare as it gets.

I just built one, starts at 40k, pretty good options and standard features. Over 6k in incentives ONLINE so probably more when you get to the dealer. This is quite a steal of a car.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I was one of the (apparently) few people that liked it better inside and out under the Five Hundred name, and with the nice Mercury Montego twin (I didn't care for the 2009 redesign). I thought it was ludicrous that potential shoppers wouldn't buy it just because the name changed from Taurus to Five Hundred.....but hey, sometimes that is just the realities of doing business. The market can do strange things, though..........and I understand the business case for axing Mercury.

Lexfather said:
the SHO seems to be as rare as it gets.

IMHO the main reason the SHO does not sell better is because of the turbo V6 and transverse-layout, even though it comes standard with AWD. The Ecoboost V6 offers some decent power numbers, it is not quite the equal of the Dodge Charger R/T's Hemi, and especially the SRT-8 and Hellcat models. It lacks the Charger's popular retro styling. And it's also clearly not the equal of Chevy's RWD SS 6.2L V8, though one cannot really call the SS a true competitor because GM simply does not build and import it to the U.S. in sufficient numbers. In fact, GM is soon going to dump Holden production altogether.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nearly all the police departments in CA are favoring/buying the police version of Explorer (over Taurus) lately, as they join crossover SUV trend.

No thanks to Taurus, and I'm from a Ford family. Zero interest in my family. Fusion, yes. Taurus, no.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
About 20 percent of Tauruses are converted into police cars. That business is an incentive for Ford to keep the Taurus in the U.S. to some degree, though the Police Interceptor Utility, based on the Explorer, is far more popular, and sales of the sedan version are falling.

In the D.C. area, the Taurus (and a few Dodge Chargers), rather than the Explorer, seems to be the main post-Crown-Vic police car, though the Crown Vics did so well in that role, and were so durable, that many of them are still in police service. Most of the cops I've actually spoken to say they prefer the Vics. Apparantly, though, from Steve's observation, they are going with the Explorers on the West Coast....and there might be some merits to that. The Explorer, with its larger and roomier rear seat and roofline, is (probably) easier to get suspects/prisoners and big police dogs in and out

In fact, the current Taurus has suffered partly because of the Fusion's success.

IS-SV said:
Fusion, yes. Taurus, no.

Yep......that alone tells a lot of the story. And, Steve, I agree that, unless one wants the high performance SHO version (which itself is not that impressive compared to Chargers or the SS), the Fusion is probably a better car for less money....and, of course, unlike the Taurus, is available as a hybrid. I'm generally not a fan of the slick, aero/jelly-bean look, but the Fusion is one of the few cars that, IMO, does it well. It's also been mechanically reliable. Another indicator, IMO, of the mediocre nature of the Taurus is how unsuccessful its upmarket Lincoln alphabet-soup MKS brother has been.....marketed as a Lincoln flagship sedan when IMO it is not a true flagship.

In all fairness, though (and I noticed this when I did a Taurus review several years ago), the Taurus did have one outstanding future......a superbly padded rear seat. The rear-seat comfort of many vehicles tends to suffer in comparison to the front, (especially in the Ford Escape), but the Taurus's rear seat was so thickly and solidly padded that even I could plop my big frame down on it and be at least reasonably comfortable....which is a rarity. (and you probably wouldn't see that version of the rear seat in the police-cruiser spec) :D

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Quite frankly, it just needs to be redesigned. Avalon, 300 and Maxima are all better looking and package more of what consumers want.

Wake up, Ford.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Seems like Mulally single-handedly kept the Taurus relevant at Ford. Now that he's gone, well you can see the results.

Reactions
Not enough Robocop this time to save it?
original.jpg

The movie did wonders for the first car (#1 seller until the Accord and eventually Camry dethroned it)...my dad had two of them (Mercury Sables, but as company cars)
robocop31of.7685.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Robocop was a once in a lifetime special occurrence. Ford won't get such a gift again, timed perfectly with a revolutionary product that was the 1st-gen Taurus.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The other night, saw a modified 1st-gen Taurus cruising the local streets. Guess I wasn't the only one with Robocop on my mind :D.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The other night, saw a modified 1st-gen Taurus cruising the local streets. Guess I wasn't the only one with Robocop on my mind :D.

The 1Gen Taurus was a strange bird when it came to reliability and how well it was assembled at the plant. Seems like you could pick out almost any three of them at random, and one of them would run the better part of 200K miles without any major problems, one would be more or less like the average car, and the third would be in the shop more than it was out.