Automakers race to meet sizzling demand for performance vehicles

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...meet-sizzling-demand-for-performance-vehicles
Performance car and truck sales are on a tear in the U.S.

Despite ever-tightening emissions laws and fuel economy requirements, sales of high-performance models in the U.S. have outpaced global growth since the teeth of the recession in 2009, according to Dave Pericak, director of Ford Performance.

"Performance vehicle sales around the world continue to grow -- with sales up 70 percent in the United States and 14 percent in Europe since 2009," Pericak said.

Demand for some vehicles is so white hot that automakers can't keep up: Dodge recently announced it was suspending new orders for its 707-hp Challenger and Charger Hellcat models until it could validate orders and fulfill its backlog. And at the New York auto show, traditionally a bastion of luxury car reveals, automakers touted performance models in virtually every segment, from the affordable Ford Focus RS to the new McLaren 570S supercar.

It's not just a desire for magazine covers and 0-to-60 bragging rights driving this trend; automakers and analysts say performance cars are good business. They offer fat profit margins and draw different, younger buyers who can spend more, and they cast a high-performance halo on an automaker's more prosaic offerings.

These models also can serve as highly motivating "passion projects" for engineers and as test beds for technologies. As Pericak put it, Ford has a heritage of performance models that "serve the much larger, far more important goal -- which is to drive innovation throughout our entire company."

Tim Kuniskis, head of Dodge and SRT, says the Hellcat models have wildly exceeded expectations, with 9,000 orders placed as of mid-March, when order-taking was suspended.

"Both of them have been on fire," Kuniskis said. "We're up over 90 percent on those cars [since the crisis]. If you look at Charger, we're up about 90 percent. If you look at Challenger, we're up 95 percent at retail.

"We saw this a long time ago, and that's why we started to move in this direction."

Growth across segments

Performance models long have been a part of European automakers' playbooks. But as U.S. automakers improve their balance sheets, the trend is picking up speed anew in Detroit, says Larry Dominique, executive vice president of industry solutions for TrueCar.

"Some brands like BMW, Mercedes and Audi have had a long history of these derivatives. For the domestics, it is more of a 'rediscovery.'"

Quantifying the trend can be problematic.

"Sales of the specific variants are hard to discern because most of them are trims or derivatives of the core model," Dominique said.

Automakers often decline to provide trim-level sales metrics. But given the growing number of variants, Dominique believes "we can assume these variants are selling well and actually accelerating."

Sales of premium high-performance cars such as the Chevrolet Corvette and Jaguar F-Type have risen through April. Growth in 2014 was driven by the new seventh-generation Corvette (up 101 percent over 2013), but even aging models were up. Nissan's GT-R saw a 16 percent sales uptick, and the Dodge Viper climbed 29 percent, in part because of a price cut.

In larger-volume sales waters, American pony cars likewise enjoyed a solid 2014. Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro sales both climbed 7.1 percent, and the Dodge Challenger eked out a 0.3 percent gain. This is despite the sixth-generation Mustang and Hellcat Challenger models not going on sale until the end of the year.

"Those [cars] are always a pretty good barometer of performance cars in the larger market," notes Karl Brauer, senior director of insights at Kelley Blue Book.

According to Ford's Pericak, the Blue Oval's high-performance buyers "are younger and better educated than the average buyer." In particular, Ford's Fiesta ST and Focus ST have done an impressive job of conquesting young buyers from other companies. "Over 65 percent of ST customers come from outside the Ford brand," with millennial buyers purchasing ST models at twice the rate of other Blue Oval products, Pericak notes.

They're also more affluent, with 30 percent of ST buyers having household incomes in excess of $100,000. Those strong numbers have helped Ford build a case to bring the Focus RS, which debuted in March at the Geneva auto show, to the U.S.

Just how much these sporty versions of mainstream products cost to develop remains a closely guarded secret. But analysts say the effort is well worth it. As Eric Lyman, vice president of industry insights for TrueCar, notes: "The incremental cost to develop a performance variant is a very cost-effective way for automakers to drive revenue."

A typical list of improvements for performance variants includes power upgrades, firmer suspension and bigger wheels and tires. Aesthetic changes typically include body kits, special badges and unique paint colors.

But automakers don't necessarily have to touch the powertrain to court performance buyers.

In milder sports models such as the Nismo variant of the Nissan Juke, a few bolt-on parts and special trim pieces can still add thousands to the bottom line. The Nismo features retuned suspension and steering, along with 18-inch wheels and a body kit, and costs $25,655 with shipping -- a 22 percent increase over the $21,075 Juke S upon which it's based. Both are powered by the Nissan 1.6-liter, inline-four engine with turbo-charging and direct injection, making 188 hp and 177 pounds-feet of torque.

The Juke Nismo RS adds 27 hp and includes bigger front brakes and Recaro seats for $28,845 with shipping, a 37 percent increase over the base Juke S.

The margins tend to get even thicker as the vehicles get more luxurious. BMW's X6 crossover starts at $60,550 with shipping for its 300-hp X6 sDrive35i model; its 567-hp X6 M sibling costs $103,050 with shipping, a 70 percent increase.

"It's very inexpensive to develop a performance model," says Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis for industry research firm AutoPacific. "The development time and the cost of tooling is far less [than the rest of the vehicle]. It's too easy to not do, too easy to ignore."

What about green?

Yet this sales momentum seems to fight the tide of rising corporate average fuel economy standards, along with automakers' continued need to project environmentally responsible images.

Selling hybrids and electric cars alongside high-horsepower V-8 coupes and sport sedans may seem contradictory. But it's part of being a big automaker, one observer says.

"A full-line manufacturer is akin to Baskin-Robbins with its 31 flavors," says Reilly Brennan, executive director of the Revs program at Stanford University, which funds students studying the past, present and future of the automobile. "They have to be very good at things that appear to be diametrically opposed."

Consumers may consistently rank fuel economy near the top of their wish lists when seeking out a new vehicle, but buyers clearly prioritize performance, too.

According to Stephanie Brinley, senior analyst-Americas for IHS Automotive: "What that really means is consumers want the most fuel-efficient version of whatever it is they want to drive, but that isn't necessarily a 'green' car."

Because high-performance variants don't tend to make up a large percentage of a given vehicle's sales, their impact on CAFE scores is often minimal. And with clever tuning, some models don't suffer fuel economy penalties at all.

Trickle-down benefits

This trend toward more performance vehicles can yield a payoff for future conventional models as well. Performance cars and trucks' higher price tags can more readily absorb the r&d costs associated with new technologies, many of which trickle down into mainstream models. As Brauer notes, "It's never a bad thing when car companies are trying to come up with the most efficient way to generate more horsepower."

Yet it's not just about adding power. Lightweighting not only benefits dynamic attributes such as handling and acceleration, it also pays dividends in fuel economy.

BMW has invested extensively in carbon-fiber manufacturing, with its i8 hybrid sports car being a primary beneficiary. But the lightweight woven material also is being used in BMW's i3 city electric vehicle, and it's widely expected to find increasing usage in the automaker's mainstay models, including the upcoming 7-series sedan.

Despite plenty of doomsayers just a few years ago, the industry's trend toward more performance models isn't abating.

AutoPacific analyst Sullivan sums it up: "A few years ago, the government was coming out with new CAFE standards, and everyone was saying, 'We're all going to be driving these small cars with three-cylinder engines. Nobody will be able to drive a pickup truck, and nothing will make sense.'

"And here we are with Hellcats. Who would've ever thought?"

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though I could be wrong, but I think some of this is just panic-buying, based on the idea that the upcoming CAFE standards are going to force most of the high-performance cars off the market, as they did back in the 1970s. It's true that the upcoming laws are forcing the use of smaller turbo power plants in lieu of larger, normally-aspirated ones (Ford's Ecoboost line of engines is a good example). But these smaller turbo engines, though with some loss of refinement/quietness, seem to be equalling or even exceeding the larger, older ones in power. The down sides, though, are that the smaller turbos, compared to the engines they replace, are sometimes stressed more, create more heat, are more complex mechancally/electronically, usually either recommend or require more expensive premium gas and full-synthetic oil, and may (?) not have as long a service-life.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A very good point mmcartalk. I think this is a combination of panic-buying, like you mentioned, combined with simply very desirable products being offered at this current time by a variety of automakers. In other words, a combination of timing and factors.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Maybe it should be a wake up call to Toyota/Lexus. Other brands are cashing in on these fun to drive machines, while our favorite brand is moving like molasses and keeps making more and more boring appliances.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Maybe it should be a wake up call to Toyota/Lexus. Other brands are cashing in on these fun to drive machines, while our favorite brand is moving like molasses and keeps making more and more boring appliances.

Well, even with the spindle-grilles, those molasses appliances seem to be selling. Lexus doesn't necessarily have to be BMW or Porsche to sell vehicles.....as the April and May sales figures that Mike (Lexfather) posted have shown.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Performance vehicles are still a tiny niche market. Toyota and Lexus wisely should never forget their core market, the meat of the market.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The hottest performance vehicles ToMoCo has right now are the TRD Pro 4Runner, Tacoma and Tundra.

A 3IS F would have been a great addition a year ago, but we are a little late now. At least GS F is around the corner...

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don't think its panic buying at all. I think we have right now the greatest cars ever being offered and people have the means and want to buy these cars. Here in Miami this is all the rage, getting the newest, baddest, coolest cars, something that wasn't really paramount in Atlanta. These cars are also highly profitable so it makes sense to offer them. Just a few years ago it was a couple of M cars, a couple of AMG cars, no RS cars and the XJ-R?

Today
AMG-tons of cars and SUVs
M-tons of cars and SUVs
RS-mostly in Europe
Jag-R-every car in their lineup has it. They even offered RS cars.
Porsche-GT3,2, RS, 4.0 etc etc
Caddy V (two cars)
Lexus F (one car)
Range Rover now has SVR
Not to mention special edition of exotics. The new McLaren 675 LT is amazing to me.

To be quite frank, I love my LS 460 F-Sport but I desperately want more power and it seems I have to jump ship to make this happen sadly. I cannot state enough how Lexus needs to move faster to produce these cars which not only produce profit but are great halo cars and lightening rods for the brand!!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I don't think its panic buying at all. I think we have right now the greatest cars ever being offered and people have the means and want to buy these cars. Here in Miami this is all the rage, getting the newest, baddest, coolest cars, something that wasn't really paramount in Atlanta. These cars are also highly profitable so it makes sense to offer them. Just a few years ago it was a couple of M cars, a couple of AMG cars, no RS cars and the XJ-R?

I agree it is not all panic buying by any means (on that part, Mike, you're correct), but I lived through the first round of the big CAFE/emission waves back in the early 1970s (I had just gotten out of high school when they hit), and saw first-hand what happened. At least for those who had the money to afford it (or who had well-heeled parents) ;) I saw a lot of the "Damn, I better buy now because tomorrow's cars will be dogs" attitude. Leasing had not really taken much hold yet in the general car-buying business, as it did later. I see at least some of the same attitude today (not as much today, though, as back then), though the main difference is that, unlike then, today's engineers are much more adept at getting both power and gas mileage out of smaller-displacement engines. Today's much more efficient transmissions, of course, also help. But back then, the fears of the early 70s were correct.....mid-late 1970s engines WERE dogs. It's almost incomprehensible today, but then, you had 400 cubic-inch (6.6L) V8s running between 150 and 200 Net horsepower, and, even worse, constantly stumbling and stalling during warm-up because the ridiculously over-leaned and underchoked carburetors wouldn't give them any gas. Fortunately, at least those days are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
To simplify, it's the economy driving the demand around here. I don't think it's panic buying at all because the latest high performance cars are consistently and incrementally better each gen.

And many of us have multiple vehicles per household in CA, so the performance car doesn't have to be the dd (daily driver), although many are used as such around here. Therefore I too will make my next purchase along the lines of the topic here (300hp++). The top premium brands are delivering a performance/luxury blend that is sweet and hard to resist for the true enthusiast and for those that know what premium machinery should feel like.

Reactions
Performance vehicles are still a tiny niche market. Toyota and Lexus wisely should never forget their core market, the meat of the market.
I doubt Toyota will ever abandon their core constituency because they cover it so well. Where Toyota is spending most of their extra dollars is on technology like the Mirai, rather than more performance vehicles like the other companies as mentioned.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I doubt Toyota will ever abandon their core constituency because they cover it so well. Where Toyota is spending most of their extra dollars is on technology like the Mirai, rather than more performance vehicles like the other companies as mentioned.

Agreed, but at the same time, Toyota is expanding their performance offerings as well. More Lexus F models coming, Toyota has the FR-S/86, there's the upcoming BMW/Toyota sports car collaboration model, and a rumored Toyota sports car below the FR-S.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Besides the usual Stang, they've got the Focus & Fiesta ST, and the upcoming Focus RS too...good stuff.

Yup, forgot those. Obviously Ford understands the importance of such models. Now that I think of it who doesn't have a high performance arm?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yup, forgot those. Obviously Ford understands the importance of such models. Now that I think of it who doesn't have a high performance arm?

Mazda? They come and go with some MazdaSpeed products here and there, but not regularly, and, even when they do, only commit production to a few thousand units of each model. VW does not have a performance arm per se, but sell a few special-production R models. Kia and Hyundai also, to my knowledge, do not have high-performance arms in the American market.........yet still enjoy a lot of sales here without one.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, and VW is lagging (declining) in U.S. Market. And Hundai and Kia are not experiencing strong sales growth like Mazda (which has made all new models more "Euro") for example. Maybe you just identified a important and missing factor...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, and VW is lagging (declining) in U.S. Market. And Hundai and Kia are not experiencing strong sales growth like Mazda (which has made all new models more "Euro") for example. Maybe you just identified a important and missing factor...

Many Mazda owners, particularly with the Miata, complain that the factory doesn't offer enough power, that the now-discontinued RX-8 didn't have any spunk (I've driven it.....it WAS very low on torque at low RPMs), and that there weren't enough remedies outside of the very limited-production MazdaSpeed models. Power and speed is not a very important issue with me, but it is with some people.

Mazdas, BTW, at least since I started driving and owning them in the mid 1980s (I owned three of them, for about 12 years total) have always had a "Euro" feel, at least for the ones that weren't rebadged Fords, like the Navaho, B-series, or Tribute. That's not something that's just starting now. It was traditionally called "Kansai" engineering...to try and make the vehicle, even with FWD, feel like an extension of the driver's arms. That's why Mazdas were nicknamed the "Poor Man's BMWs". I thought one of the silliest things the company ever did was trade the Kansai slogan for the "Zoom, Zoom" term, which sounds like a term used by 5-year-olds.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The difference with Mazda today is the level of refinement and fuel efficiency to go with the Euro ride/handling. Big step forward with Skyactive designs, very different from past designs.

Mazda has achieved a lot last couple of years. Names are just names, but the new machinery today is truly better.

Note: rotary is done for 2015, a gas sucking, gross polluting piece of cool history. Those that wanted more power in Mazda Miata were shopping wrong car, therefore they were largely ignored. Miata is about balance.

Last edited: