Lexus GS F Autoblog 2020 GS F Review & Video | Looking past the numbers

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
This is, surprisingly, quite complimentary of Toyota/Lexus. I would have expected the usual knee-jerk, critical reaction to Toyota products from Autoblog.

Reactions
This is, surprisingly, quite complimentary of Toyota/Lexus. I would have expected the usual knee-jerk, critical reaction to Toyota products from Autoblog.
I think some journalists are figuring out that being pretentious is kind of lame when a vehicle brings you driving pleasure (Looking at those Top Gear guys). Yeah, the GS F is "only" 467hp, but the experience of a NA V8 can't be ignored by any enthusiast.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
My one gripe with Autoblog really has to do with many of their followers who are often quite negative, especially towards Lexus and Toyota (as well as many Japanese makes). The negativity, as of the time I post my comments to this article, are not too bad.

Back to the GS F. I absolutely love this car and if I had around $85,000-$90,000 to spend on a car, new or used, this would be at the top of my list. With forced induction engines increasing market share, as well as electric motors, this is truly a future classic. I love the mix of luxury and raw performance. While some complain about the technology in the GS F lagging behind many models in this price range, I think it adds to its uniqueness.

Last edited:
Reactions
My one gripe with Autoblog really has to do with many of their followers who are often quite negative, especially towards Lexus and Toyota (as well as many Japanese makes). The negativity, as of the time I post my comments to this article, are not too bad.

Back to the GS F. I absolutely love this car and if I had around $85,000-$90,000 to spend on a car, new or used, this would be at the top of my list. With forced induction engines increasing market share, as well as electric motors, this is truly a future classic. I love the mix of luxury and raw performance.
Since I read this article, my knee jerk response was to build one on Lexus.com. Dealers currently have a $5,000 rebate on them, and I'm sure they have room to discount as well. Used ones I've seen are around $50K with higher mileage.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The GS F is one of the few Lexus' where journalists have nothing bad to say except infotainement (which now customer seems to complain about, but remember Lexus made touchescrrens before and they were good, but no enough cool, now they are cool, go figure).

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions

IMO, the problem with most internet publications is that they are just releasing stuff so far after the fact. Big deal Autoblog likes or does not like something. Where opinion really counts is when the review or viewpoints are released day and date (off embargo) among all the peers in the journalism field. Only then is there no bias, pandering or massaging based on all the opinions out there.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Well there is always general pro-German bias, as if everyone has stocks in German companies, or works in marketing department of German carmakers. For example, while I am no fan of Hyundai/Kia though I like Genesis, these companies have changed, but journalists always feel the need to present a brief history lesson how cr*ap these brands were and how they have evolved. That would be like presenting the a new Porsche like "The new Porsche xxx, owned by VAG that got busted for using emissions cheating software in diesel models.....". No need to say this! But they do (only when it is not German).

Reactions
Well there is always general pro-German bias, as if everyone has stocks in German companies, or works in marketing department of German carmakers.
Does European car media tend to favor or prefer Euro makes over everything else? I don't really follow Top Gear and such, so I'm not as versed in their tastes as the US media, but cars like the Ford Fiesta ST and VW GTI are revered by the press there as much as they are lauded by the media here. I would think that most car journalists grew up with posters of European cars on their wall, not necessarily Japanese cars, but perhaps a Supra or something "JDM" if they are younger and grew up with Fast and Furious.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Does European car media tend to favor or prefer Euro makes over everything else? I don't really follow Top Gear and such, so I'm not as versed in their tastes as the US media...I would think that most car journalists grew up with posters of European cars on their wall, not necessarily Japanese cars, but perhaps a Supra or something "JDM"...

Unfortunately I can't answer, because I am biased too but in a different way, and I do not follow the 'boring cars'. Badges have no value for me. And it is not like in Europe there are many brands that are not German, except the three French. Fiat is minor, and Seat and Skoda are German, and customers know it, thus they buy them. So many Skoda CUVs since this brand made CUVs.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Does European car media tend to favor or prefer Euro makes over everything else? I don't really follow Top Gear and such, so I'm not as versed in their tastes as the US media, but cars like the Ford Fiesta ST and VW GTI are revered by the press there as much as they are lauded by the media here. I would think that most car journalists grew up with posters of European cars on their wall, not necessarily Japanese cars, but perhaps a Supra or something "JDM" if they are younger and grew up with Fast and Furious.

I would say the European media is more favourable towards Lexus than North American. I think wherever there is a chance for eyeballs to help grow a publication, the media will pander.

Reactions
Unfortunately I can't answer, because I am biased too but in a different way, and I do not follow the 'boring cars'. Badges have no value for me. And it is not like in Europe there are many brands that are not German, except the three French. Fiat is minor, and Seat and Skoda are German, and customers know it, thus they buy them. So many Skoda CUVs since this brand made CUVs.
Seat and Skoda are both subsidiaries of VW Group. What interests me more in the European market aren't the supercars, but those hot compact performance hatches that most of us here wish we could get, or lost if you consider that the Fiesta and Focus ST live on.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Seat and Skoda are both subsidiaries of VW Group. What interests me more in the European market aren't the supercars, but those hot compact performance hatches that most of us here wish we could get, or lost if you consider that the Fiesta and Focus ST live on.

Compact performance hatches are not a big market, especially now, compact hatches are, but they are not performance but budget. There are only Ford Fiesta ST, Ford Focus ST, Renault Clio RS, Renault Megane RS and Abarth 500. No more Peugeot GTI or Opel OPC. Compared to NA market, now it is compact CUV, like Renault Capture, Peugeot 3008 etc. And only the three German make small performance CUVs. Hyundai is likely to join as we heard about the GR CH-R.