Audi Q5 ad takes a swipe at the Lexus RX

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A clever ad, considering that the Q5 itself is not very inconspicuous. ;) They don't mention the RX by name, but make reference to it in images.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Marketing is marketing... but the "new" Q5 is certainly far more inconspicuous looking than the audacious, overstlyed RX.

In fact, it's kind of ironic considering how bland all of Audi's lineup is.

Yeah.....I didn't post it because thought it was the perfect ad. It's a good example of just how cut-throat the global auto-sales business has become. Many car-ads, IMO, are an insult to human intelligence.....this one, at least, tries to be sophisticated. As I see it, in actuality, neither the Lexus spindle-grille nor the big oversized Audi trapezoid-grille in front are very inconspicuous.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And more free advertising for Lexus, essentially acknowledging #1 vehicle in that segment.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I saw this commercial the other night and immediately started laughing, because the photo of the "bland" RX does a great job showing off most of the more outre styling cues. The spindle grille that strikes terror into the hearts of auto journalists and Internet comment sections alike is right there in your face. And the logo's visible, which is usually a no-no in ads like this. By contrast, the Q5 looks like it's the box the RDX comes in.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
By contrast, the Q5 looks like it's the box the RDX comes in.

giphy.gif

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And more free advertising for Lexus, essentially acknowledging #1 vehicle in that segment.

Yes, probably still #1 in sales, although that huge spindle grille up front (one of the largest on any Lexus product to date) seems to have had at least some negative effect.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And more free advertising for Lexus,

Maybe (?)

They only displayed the RX image for a second or two. We auto enthusiasts, of course, could recognize it immediately, but that might not be the case for the rank-and-file public , who are not into cars like we are.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I did specifically mean RDX as in Acura (because it's also a bland-looking CUV), but either one could probably fit in a Suburban :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, probably still #1 in sales, although that huge spindle grille up front (one of the largest on any Lexus product to date) seems to have had at least some negative effect.

None measurable, because last time I looked RX sales have increased significantly over last gen sales.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Maybe (?)

They only displayed the RX image for a second or two. We auto enthusiasts, of course, could recognize it immediately, but that might not be the case for the rank-and-file public , who are not into cars like we are.

Yes, maybe a second or two if free advertising for RX, excluding those with impaired vision of course. Don't have to be an enthusiast to recognize a Lexus RX. And remember who Audi is targeting in this ad. Maybe (?) this reply is a waste of time,lol.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, maybe a second or two if free advertising for RX, excluding those with impaired vision of course. Don't have to be an enthusiast to recognize a Lexus RX. And remember who Audi is targeting in this ad. Maybe (?) this reply is a waste of time,lol.

I agree they aren't targeting me....I like sedans LOL. :yum Still a funny ad, though.....IMO better than average, at least.

And I've test-driven both the new RX and Q5...If I were an SUV guy, I could easily live with either one, even though I'm not a fan of spindle-grilles.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yawn:expressionless:, I just saw the ad on tv news show this Saturday morning. Maybe if the Q5 shown wasn't such a dull color (and didn't look like the last 6 years of Q5's) it might have been more impactful. Fortunately I was drinking good Peet's coffee to get me through the boring commercial.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Fortunately I was drinking good Peet's coffee to get me through the boring commercial.

Is Peet's better than Starbucks? If so, that's saying something....especially the excellent Starbucks French Roast (I use gift cards I get for the French Roast).

I thought the commercial, while not the best I've seen, actually beat some of the recent Super-Bowl car ads...and those ads cost several million dollars for 30 seconds.

Maybe if the Q5 shown wasn't such a dull color
Black, white, and a bunch of various silver and gray shades seem to be taking over the industry....although the Pepperdust Metallic color I ordered my new car in seemed to be an interesting-looking shade of smoke-grayish/champagne.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The new Q5 is beyond bland and the RX is at least styled, even if one thinks it is ugly. I think they need a reality check here. They honestly are making fun of themselves. Also considering how many they sell now, its as common as the cold.

Does not compute.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Even though this new '18 Q5 is a redesign (therefore Audi claims 198 pounds lighter), most will assume it's a refresh at best.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Even though this new '18 Q5 is a redesign (therefore Audi claims 198 pounds lighter), most will assume it's a refresh at best.

Yeah now with the last generation I get it...makes sense....but this generation? The RX is by far the most stylish car even if one hates the styling.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The new Q5 is beyond bland I think they need a reality check here.

Have you checked out (or test-driven) a new Q5 up close, Mike? I'll agree that its overall styling is somewhat on the conservative side (as with many Audi products).....but IMO at least, Audi fit/finish, assembly-quality, and road manners have improved enormously in recent years. I know you're not a terribly big fan of Consumer Reports, but, from what I can see, there's a reason why Audi now ranks with Toyota/Lexus and Buick at or near the top of quality/reliability surveys.