Audi is taking the fight to BMW and Mercedes with a new strategy

mikeavelli

Reactions
Audi's roll in the states continues, passing 200k cars for the first time here and it beat their goal by 3 years. Good read on the Presidents thoughts.

View gallery

Audi_is_taking_the_fight-e4514a8a47efff46c309aa631f8d84d1

(Audi)

Audi had a banner year last year.

The German automaker sold more than 200,000 cars in the US for the first time in its history — reaching this milestone three years ahead of schedule.

Audi's surging sales were led by the strong performance of its A3 compact sedan, as well as the Q3 and Q5 crossover SUVs.

Leading the charge for the company is Audi of America president Scott Keogh.

The 46-year-old from Long Island, New York, has been Audi's top man in the US for more than three years, in which time the company has experienced record growth.

Keogh sat down with Business Insider at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. We talked about everything from the prospect for a slowdown in US sales, to plans to launch an electric SUV, and parent company Volkswagen's emissions scandal.

On the US auto market in 2016:

The auto industry in the US, as a whole, had a banner year in 2015, with 17.5 million automobiles rolling out of dealer showrooms — a feat that had never been accomplished before.

"Looking at the macro view of the American car market, I think it's still good," Keogh said. "Fuel prices and interest rates, while climbing, are still extremely low, and if you look at the age of most fleets out there you are still looking at a 10- to 11-year-old vehicle population, so there will room for movement there."

However, the Audi executive a cautioned that despite its strong performance in 2015, the industry will likely see growth rates slow down.

"I think we should not be naive, though," Keogh said. "The market just broke a record for sales and I don't think we are going to see the type of growth rates we've been seeing."

"Since the market hit rock bottom in 2008-2009, we've seen these great growth rates," he added. "There's no way that's going to continue when the market is already at 17.5 million cars."

View gallery

Audi_is_taking_the_fight-284c9e0e138e00007fbf4d14d903e576

(Audi)
Audi RS7.

Furthermore, he added, that Audi has taken a different approach to its high-performance brand than their German counterparts in that the company has spent much more time delivering racing success and not enough time capitalizing on the commercial aspects of the racing image.

"We spent so much on the authenticity of Audi Sports and the racing of Audi Sport that we forgot to commercialize Audi Sport and take advantage of the success we've had," Keogh said. "Our competitors have done a smart job of putting more focus into turning out more M cars and AMGs."

With that said, Audi's racing success, which includes more than a dozen victories since 2000 at the grueling 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance sports-cars race, will mean the company won't be lacking for credibility.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Audi's increasing reliability (per Consumer Reports) may also be helping the brand. Until just a few years ago, they were known as classic money-pits once the warranty expired. Just in those last few years, though, they have risen to the #3 brand in the American market for reliability.......right behind Lexus and Toyota. And they always had good fit/finish and quality interior materials.

Today, if I was in the market for that particular class of car, I'd probably buy or lease an Audi product before either a BMW or Mercedes.

The biggest question mark in the near-future for them may be the VW scandal......but, in general, Audi doesn't sell as many diesels in the American market as VW does.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I worked with Mark for a short while at Lexus... great guy.

Audi was very successful with picking off some long time Lexus vets in the late 2000s.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Just as a backstory if it wasn't known, Audi USA's COO Mark Del Rosso started his auto career with Toyota, and had stints with Lexus as well. Probably why he was poached with a pay raise to go work at Audi.
https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/corporate/executive-team/mark-del-rosso
^I worked with Mark for a short while at Lexus... great guy.

Audi was very successful with picking off some long time Lexus vets in the late 2000s.

Nice insight!!!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Probably why he was poached with a pay raise to go work at Audi.

From what I know, this is very true. There was a saying at Lexus that "You'll never get rich working here!" and I think Audi took advantage of that. And good for them.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Why? In blind taste tests, 3 out of 5 drivers surveyed couldn't tell the difference between an A3, A4, A6 without removing their blindfolds :confused:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And some Audi's look so similar to VW sedans that some get confused...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Why? In blind taste tests, 3 out of 5 drivers surveyed couldn't tell the difference between an A3, A4, A6 without removing their blindfolds :confused:

The way I see some people drive, I'm not sure they have actually taken the blindfolds off. :D