And then there were two: Why bother with the Chrysler brand?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
When's the last time anyone really sat down to think about the Chrysler brand? If you're like me, it's been a while.

Looking back at the last few years, there was the FCA merger, Dodge splitting from Ram, a lot of exciting product for the Jeep brand, Fiat coming to America...... and Chrysler.

With a history including everything from now-dead vehicles like the Sebring or Aspen, there was a time when Chrysler had a more robust product portfolio that really meant something.

Now, the Chrysler brand includes only the 300 sedan and Pacifica minivan. How many of you realized this?

With the 200 sedan dropping off and many other products retiring over the years, this entire brand is now built around just two vehicles. The Pacifica is brand new and thank god for that considering the repeated reports of replacements for the 300/Charger being pushed off until 2020 or later.

I have no clue how this brand is even relevant anymore, or how FCA plans to make them competitive. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I actually hadn't realized that (or that they currently only have 3 models). FCA in general seems pretty unstable to me; what happens to Jeep and Ram when the current SUV/CUV/truck craze ends? Does Dodge have any purpose beyond the Hellcats?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Dodge is another one... the decision to split trucks away from everything else was stupid to me. And I think they're ultimately planning to do away with the Grand Caravan, leaving only the Pacifica?

So much of it makes so little sense to me...

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I pondered this myself in August when I had a 200 rental car... It was A-W-F-U-L in every sense of the word. I truly don't understand FCA's business model, and if you take away Jeep, the whole series of brands would go under in my opinion. FCA is a waste of taxpayer dollars. Can't produce a reliable or competitive product to save their lives.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I pondered this myself in August when I had a 200 rental car... It was A-W-F-U-L in every sense of the word.

I can't vouch for the in-line 4 version (Consumer Reports doesn't like the 4, either), but the V6 version I reviewed a couple of years ago was pretty nice, except for that silly rotary-knob shfter. I wouldn't mind owning one myself...in fact, few sedans in that segment are still available with a V6.

I truly don't understand FCA's business model, and if you take away Jeep, the whole series of brands would go under in my opinion. FCA is a waste of taxpayer dollars. Can't produce a reliable or competitive product to save their lives.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is certainly competitive, and quite a nice vehicle to drive, though, like many FCA products, it is below average in reliability. The Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger have also been very successful, with high owner-satisfaction ratings despite lower-than-average reliability. The Ram seems to be the only pickup that combines utility with REAL riding-comfort. But, other that those vehicles, I agree.....there isn't much in the Chrysler brands that could be considered truly competitive. The Jeep Wrangler is popular as an inexpensive mountain goat, but is uncomfortable and unrefined on dry pavement.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Does Dodge have any purpose beyond the Hellcats?

For now, basically performance-oriented and a less-expensive alternative to to the Chrysler brand.....although soon, there will be only platform shared between the two of them....the Mercedes-derived 300/Charger. I wouldn't consider the Hellcats a significant part of the brand, as they are basically niche vehicles, hard to find, and, like the Shelby Mustangs, subject to big dealer price-gouges that make an already overpriced car even more so.

Reactions
I actually hadn't realized that (or that they currently only have 3 models). FCA in general seems pretty unstable to me; what happens to Jeep and Ram when the current SUV/CUV/truck craze ends? Does Dodge have any purpose beyond the Hellcats?
Muscle cars....nostalgic, brash and 'American'. A huge demographic is into them and the motivation to drive one aren't the same reasons you buy a Lexus. Hell, V8s sound sweet.
DG015_140CL.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
No, I get that. If I hadn't seen the crash test video where the barrier nearly ended up in the driver's seat, I'd be tempted to have one as a weekend car. I'm just not convinced it's worth an entire brand at this point.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I get it too. But my choice of American weekend pony car only includes current Mustang and Camaro in that order.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I also didn't realize it was just two. I had the "pleasure" of driving a Chrysler 200 and it really lost me. The first thing was how cramped it was inside. Then the info screen was like 3" big. The steering, braking, drive was like being in the 1980s again. It looked good but the Fusion does too. No wonder it never found a place in the market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I also didn't realize it was just two. I had the "pleasure" of driving a Chrysler 200 and it really lost me. The first thing was how cramped it was inside. Then the info screen was like 3" big. The steering, braking, drive was like being in the 1980s again. It looked good but the Fusion does too. No wonder it never found a place in the market.

Was this the latest 200 version, or a past model (Chrysler Sebring)? I totally agree with you on the last one....it was basically a POS, just like its Dodge Avenger twin, although it did include a (nicely-priced) convertible that the latest version lacks.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Was this the latest 200 version, or a past model (Chrysler Sebring)? I totally agree with you on the last one....it was basically a POS, just like its Dodge Avenger twin, although it did include a (nicely-priced) convertible that the latest version lacks.

It was the new version. I barely fit in the car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I get it too. But my choice of American weekend pony car only includes current Mustang and Camaro in that order.

Challenger too large and heavy for you?...that would be my guess.

I like it because it has the most retro-styling of the three (and some of those original wild 1970-71 pastel paint colors). It's also not slapped together at the factory with chewing-gum and rubber bands like the original one, which squeaked and rattled like a can of marbles. But the retro-interior is not as well done as the retro-exterior....the lack of the wood-grained dash/console/steering wheel and chromed bumpers like the original one does not give quite the same personality. But one can also say that of the new Mustang and Camaro. Lately, I've been seeing a couple of Challengers with the 70s-style "shaker" through the hole in the hood...so that may be one more sop to the original.