An early design study for the LC?

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Or maybe it was a design created before the final LC 500 design. Overall resembles the early LF-A concept more than the LC 500 to me.

Reactions
This was posted on another forum by Carmaker1. I think it looks pretty cool.

View attachment 2662 View attachment 2663 View attachment 2664 View attachment 2665

This mockup was shown as a pure design study at a year end meeting where the Lexus design studios around the globe exhibited their works of the year.

Among the board of examiners was the former Lexus International president Tokuo Fukuichi, who was not very impressed with this. But he was shown preliminary sketches for this work on the return bus from the meeting, among which he found bold and radical one which had been toned down in the process of making the final product for the sake of the “old man’s car Lexus design norm” at that time.

Impressed with this ambitious sketch, and knowing Lexus should’ve broken with tradition, Fukuichi decided to build the official concept car true to it. Needless to say, the result was the stunning LF-LC at NAIAS in 2012.

Whenever I see this mockup and remember this story, it strikes me how miraculously the LC came into being. If Fukuichi had never found that special sketch… Thank you, Fukuichi-san.

Reactions
Curious, I've never seen these images or the other @Carmaker1 posted:

View attachment 2666

And as for the LS mockup, this magazine called "新型レクサスLSのすべて" provides the whole design process of the LS (exteririor/interior) including these images by Carmaker1.

This "新型XXのすべて" series (All about the new XX) is published right after the major new models are launched and always provide the in depth story about their development including the design process. As I live outside Japan now I cannot obtain it, but they provide the preview images for all pages (low resolution) on their website so you can go to the link below and at least grasp some images of the car design process. You can see the preview by clicking the button circled in red. The latest issue is on the LS and of course there is also an issue on the LC, RX and more!

http://car.as-books.jp/books/?no=22

2017-12-17_LI.jpg

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
While I was looking at the images between show prototypes vs production model, I instantly noticed how show model always sits lower than production model (the gap between wheel and wheel arch is minimal). From the GS, the LC, and the LS. They provide a lower stance and look much more aggressive. Why can't production model retain the same wheel height?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There's a minimum wheel height you normally want to maintain to account for speed bumps, potholes, etc. Otherwise you'll be constantly hitting the limits of the suspension and the ride will be very harsh. There's some roads near here that I try to avoid because they have very tall, aggressive speed bumps that are harsh even in an LS.