All-New Audi A8 Combines Sophistication With Sleek Style

supra93

Expert
Reactions
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/all-new-audi-a8-combines-sophistication.html

Finally, after years of testing, months of teasers and days of eager anticipation, the all-new Audi A8 has officially premiered at the Audi Summit in Barcelona, Spain.

As we previously learnt, the new A8 will make use of a 48-volt electrical system and therefore adopts a number of advanced technologies, including a fully active, electromechanical suspension system and is said to be the first car on the market that offers level 3 autonomous driving.

The aforementioned suspension system works thanks to an electric motor on each wheel and incorporates a rotary tube and an internal titanium torsion bar and lever that can apply up to 1,100 Nm (811.3 lb-ft) of torque on the suspension courtesy of a coupling rod. This system then works in conjunction with the luxury sedan’s front camera which detects bumpers and allows the suspension to automatically adjust to offer the smoothest ride possible. Audi says this system will be able to eliminate almost all vibrations and jolts.

On highways at up to 60 km/h, the autonomous system can take full control of the vehicle and permits the driver to completely remove their hands from the steering wheel. Like its rivals, the new A8 includes remote parking which can be operated via a remote, even without any occupants seated inside.

In terms of its design, the A8 is heavily inspired by 2014’s Prologue Concept and brings a new Audi design language into reality. Created by Marc Lichte, the A8 is significantly sleeker than the outgoing and still manages to ooze the sophistication and class you’d expect from the company’s flagship sedan.

At the front, Audi has integrated a set of thin horizontal headlights with LED daytime running lights seamlessly incorporated within. Additionally, the front is made of up an enlarged chrome grille. Audi says that it has also designed a sleek roofline for the car, allowing it to achieve a “coupe-like” shape. There is also an elegant line running the length of the car on both sides.

The rear meanwhile incorporates overhauled taillights dramatically different to those of the outgoing model. Perhaps the most obvious change are the twin LED taillights which incorporate a light bar stretching the width of the rear. Altogether, the design of the new A8 isn’t quite as revolutionary as the Prologue was but it is certainly modern enough to rival the existing Mercedes-Benz S-Class and BMW 7-Series.

In Germany, the new A8 will initially be offered with two V6 turbo engines, a 3.0-liter TDI and a 3.0-liter TFSI. The diesel engine will deliver 286 hp while the petrol powertrain will offer up 340 hp. Further down the road, a 4.0-liter TDI V8 with 435 hp will be introduced alongside a 460 hp 4.0-liter V8. The range will then be completed by a 6.0-liter W12 delivering an undisclosed amount.

All five engines operate alongside a belt alternator starter thanks to the 48-volt electrical system. This means the new A8 can coast with the engine switched off and restart smoothly when required. Audi says that this alone can drops fuel consumption by as much as 0.7 liters per 100 km in real driving conditions.

At a later date, an A8 L e-tron quattro will hit the market. It will combine a 3.0-liter TFSI engine with an electric motor to deliver 449 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. Thanks to its lithium-ion battery, it will also have an all-electric range of about 50 km.

German prices for the new A8 will start at 90,600 euros ($103,248) in Germany while the A8 L kicks off at 94,100 euros ($107,236).

Audi-A8-4.jpg

Audi-A8-3.jpg

Audi-A8-5.jpg

Audi-A8-6.jpg

Audi-A8-7.jpg

Audi-A8-8.jpg

Audi-A8-9.jpg

Audi-A8-10.jpg

Audi-A8-11.jpg

Audi-A8-12.jpg

Audi-A8-13.jpg

Audi-A8-14.jpg

Audi-A8-15.jpg

Audi-A8-16.jpg

Audi-A8-17.jpg

Audi-A8-18.jpg

Audi-A8-21.jpg

Audi-A8-23.jpg

Audi-A8-19.jpg

Audi-A8-20.jpg

Audi-A8-22.jpg

Audi-A8-25.jpg

Audi-A8-26.jpg

Audi-A8-30.jpg

Audi-A8-31.jpg

Audi-A8-32.jpg

Audi-A8-33.jpg

Audi-A8-34.jpg

Audi-A8-35.jpg

Audi-A8-36.jpg

Audi-A8-37.jpg

Audi-A8-2438.jpg

Audi-A8-6738.jpg

Audi-A8-6938.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I feel the same way about this car that I feel about so many other Audi products: It's nice looking, conservative and handsome... but it's 100% predictable and looks exactly like every other Audi sedan. So what makes it special?

I won't deny the new tech, powertrains and many of the advancements, but those things are hard to appreciate when they come in a wrapper that looks 90% the same to most people.

Also, just a personal note: I know screens are all the rage, but I can't say that I think it will be very easy to change the temp or fan setting with a flat touch screen when you're driving down the road. Sometimes, buttons really just are easier, even if they're not high tech.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Ahhaaaa... that is where they are wrong, the new A8 will not be the first level 3 autonomous car, the Cadillac CT6 will be. My uncle, who is a GM engineer showed me one of the pre-market production CT6 he was inspecting by driving it around, and he showed me how there was a sensor on top of the wheel to detect if the driver is sleeping, so his/her hands are not required to be on the wheel. Sucks for Audi, they must've been so excited :(

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The exterior overall looks very elegant, the front end is a little too sharp, however. The taillights really look like the 7-Series taillights upside down lol.

The interior is very beautiful, especially the rear seats. IMO it is better than the LS in the rear section, especially because there is a two-seat option. The dash isn't half bad, but I feel like it is too tech-focused.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Ahhaaaa... that is where they are wrong, the new A8 will not be the first level 3 autonomous car, the Cadillac CT6 will be. My uncle, who is a GM engineer showed me one of the pre-market production CT6 he was inspecting by driving it around, and he showed me how there was a sensor on top of the wheel to detect if the driver is sleeping, so his/her hands are not required to be on the wheel. Sucks for Audi, they must've been so excited :(
The answer to what is the first Level 3-capable autonomous production car you can buy may depend on where in the world you are, not to mention whether or not local laws allow for cars with level 3 autonomy.

The new 4th-gen (D5) Audi A8 with Traffic Jam Pilot is expected to go on sale in late fall 2017 in Germany, and in spring 2018 in China and the U.S. (early 2019 model year in the latter). The Cadillac CT6 with optional ($2500) Super Cruise goes on sale in fall 2018 in the U.S. Thus, it seems that Cadillac will be first in North America, Audi will be first in Europe and it's a too-early-to-tell tossup who will be first in China (though Cadillac has an edge given that the CT6 is already in production there).

It's worth noting, though, that Cadillac's website already has 2018 model year CT6 info (including a downloadable brochure) and dealers have the 2018 CT6 print brochure on hand. All make zero mention of Super Cruise.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
New Audi S8 To Feature Twin-Turbo Porsche Powertrains

Now that Audi has released the new A8, the question on everyone's minds is when we'll see the new S8 performance version, and what will be under the hood.
Evo has some interesting tidbitsabout the second. According to the British publication, the new performance sedan is set to employ Porsche power – and even a hybrid version.

Now before you go screaming “what, that's crazy,” let's establish a couple of things. For one, the previous S8 employed a 5.2-liter V10 that was essentially adapted from the Lamborghini Gallardo. The current model uses the same engine as the Bentley Continental GT. So the idea of using a Porsche engine suddenly doesn't seem quite so outlandish, especially when you consider that the new A8 shares its platform with the Panamera.

The engine deployed in the Panamera and being mooted for the S8 bears the same basic parameters as the outgoing model's: a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8. But it's an entirely different block, and where the current S8 packs 513 hp (or 597 in Plus guise), the Panamera Turbo boasts 550 – or, crucially, 680 with an electric boost in the Turbo S E-Hybrid.

That's where things get interesting, because Evo and its sister-site Auto Express report that the S8 Plus could be replaced by an S8 E-Tron, using the Porsche's hybrid powertrain. Both versions could end up detuned slightly on their way from Zuffenhausen to Ingolstadt, but not by much.

As it is, the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid churns out significantly more power not only than the Mercedes S550e PHEV or BMW 740e iPerformance, but than the AMG S63 or M760i – and more torque than all but the S65.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/new-audi-s8-to-feature-twin-turbo.html

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The car's an interesting mix of contrasts. The basic exterior shape is that of a boxy, ultra-square 1980s car, with a few creases and a curved greenhouse added to soften it slightly. Then there's the front end, which is very modern and almost outre, and has a grille large enough to drive a GS-F through. And then the interior is so up-to-this-exact-minute modern that it may look outdated by the time the car is in stores. I don't hate it, but it's definitely going to be an acquired taste I think.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow this was challenging getting through this post. I almost fell asleep looking at the pics of this thing. Same old boring Audi design. The rear looks a bit like a Lincoln, so I guess that's something exciting from Audi. Not a fan whatsoever of the "all screens" interior. Interesting though that the A8 now gets a direct competitor to Mercedes' Magic Body Control. I wonder when Lexus will get a competing system. It would be nice. A system like Magic Body Control is the next step up in luxury ride and comfort.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Same old boring Audi design.

Those "boring" Audis sedan designs sell, though. People like them. Some them are temporarily on hold in Germany with a stop-sales, but that's because of the government, not the customer...the A4 and A5 apparently don't meet their own EPA gas-engine estimates.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Those "boring" Audis sedan designs sell, though. People like them. .

Note: In the United States the less boring Mercedes, BMW and Lexus vehicles outsell the "boring" Audis. People like them (Benz, BMW, Lexus) it seems, lol.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Note: In the United States the less boring Mercedes, BMW and Lexus vehicles outsell the "boring" Audis. People like them it seems, lol.

To me, personally, none of them are boring....I was only quoting a term that CIF used. As an auto enthusiast, I enjoy test-driving almost anything on four wheels, though, of course, some things are subjective, and every car has its good and bad points. The only modern car I ever sampled that I truly couldn't stand (though I wouldn't call it a true automobile LOL) was the Smart-for-Two...and if you ever had the wonderful chance to sample one, you would probably agree. Even the Scion iQ was more pleasant (or should I say less un-pleasant) to drive.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Automotive News Europe's Christiaan Hetzner provides some informative commentary on the Audi A8's Traffic Jam Pilot and Level 3 autonomy. Again, curiously, not a word on the Cadillac CT6's Super Cruise.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...driving?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Audi believes it will be the first automaker to launch a self-driving car even though its first model with that capability, the new A8, still needs to undergo lengthy government approvals that could allow a competitor to pass the automaker in the race to market.

“I’m confident that nobody can jump ahead of us,” Audi r&d boss Peter Mertens told Automotive News Europe at the A8’s world debut here last week. “We have the only car right now in the homologation process.”

Audi said that with its forthcoming Traffic Jam Pilot, the A8 will be the first production car with Level 3 autonomy. That means under specific conditions those A8s can be put in autopilot, allowing the driver to take his eyes off the road.

All other current production vehicles, including those from Tesla or Mercedes-Benz, offer Level 2 autonomy, which provides assistance but requires near constant interaction from the driver.

Level 3 autonomy, however, is still in its infancy. That is why Audi hasn’t announced when Traffic Jam Pilot will debut and why BMW only plans to offer the same level of autonomous technology in 2021, with the debut of the iNEXT.

“We’re in uncharted territory and the authorities are too,” Mertens said.

Audi and type approval regulators need to resolve how to properly regulate how the technology should function in everyday conditions.

“That’s why we cannot estimate when that process will be finalized,” Mertens said. “I, alone, am not going to give a date, because it’s not in our hands. I am not blaming anybody. We’re doing our job and they are doing theirs. We need to sort it out together.”

Mertens expects a staggered global rollout of Level 3-capable versions of the sedan with Traffic Jam Pilot as the technology gets legally approvals. While some global homologation procedures are similar, in several countries the process may have to start from scratch.

Mertens, who joined Audi in May from Volvo where he served in the same capacity, said the key goal is to ensure drivers always know when they will be held accountable for operating the vehicle.

“It’s either the driver or the car — there can be no shared responsibility," he said.

That potential gray area is one reason several carmakers are reluctant to offer the Level 3’s limited autonomy. Volvo, Toyota and Ford say they will leapfrog Level 3 and concentrate on reaching the most automated stages, Levels 4 and 5.

Guaranteed to work

Mertens promised that Audi’s Traffic Jam Pilot would provide full autonomous functionality in the instances it’s designed for.

“When the car takes over, it is responsible. It is not going to put you in a position where it goes Ding! Ding! Ding! and all of a sudden you have to take over because it cannot navigate a corner,” Mertens said. “It’s almost mind-blowing because this is a big step. We are going into a situation where we guarantee the system works.”

One thing is clear: Audi has already ruled out the availability of Traffic Jam Pilot when the A8 sedan launches later this year. This also true in Germany, where Level 3 cars, in theory, can now be legally operated on domestic roads — as long as they have been approved for sale by authorities.

It remains uncertain whether A8 customers will be penalized if they purchase the car before the approval process is completed. When pressed whether early buyers could activate the dormant function at a later date, Mertens declined to commit, instead indicating he might be able to say more toward the end of this summer.

Even if the regulatory approvals in other countries are slow, Audi remains confident no competitor is positioned to overtake it with this fledgling technology.

“This is the only car that from the very beginning has been developed to enable autonomous driving with all the necessary redundancies,” he said. “That means steering, brakes, sensors and the power supply all have failsafe systems as a backup.”

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Again, curiously, not a word on the Cadillac CT6's Super Cruise.
Yeah, my uncle told me that they tested it anonymously :D but the final product will have it, as the model he showed me was a production model that he was just trying to fix a small issue on.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was reading the most recent issue of Automotive News today and they note something very, very interesting. After being known for their use of aluminum, Audi is actually moving away from it and more heavily relying on steel for the new A8. Article text:

...[The A8] has a big reduction in the amount of aluminum in its body in favor of steel. Audi pioneered the use of aluminum as a body shell material for its first A8 in 1994, and it marketed the car on the lightness of its Audi Space Frame. The technology continued in later A8s and spread to other models.

But aluminum content has significantly dropped in the body shell for this new A8, down to 58%, says Audi. That's compared with 92% for the outgoing A8, according to steel supplier ArcelorMittal, which hailed the switch as signaling a trend away from the lightweight but expensive metal and toward modern steel technologies.

The result is a heavier body at 621lbs vs. 509lbs for the outgoing car, despite the use of carbon fiber for the rear seat back and parcel shelf.

So why the switch? Three reasons, says Alexander Kobilke, engineering manager at Audi's lightweight design center in Germany. The most important is crash strength. New regulations plus protecting the battery for the plug-in hybrid called for high-strength, hot-formed steel to build the occupancy cell. It also helps torsional rigidity, up 24 percent compared with the old car, Audi says. That helps handling. Lastly, steel has better acoustic properties, reducing cabin noise.

Source: Automotive News, 7/24 issue.

Very, very interesting.