Akio Toyoda revealed the story behind saving Toyota from collapse

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
https://toyotatimes.jp/en/toyota_news/1054.html#index01

I think many of us have read from 3rd party articles on how Akio Toyoda fought against the old, corrupt management structure and saved the company after a string of unfortunate events that almost brought down TMC. But here's the first time he spoke about the story himself. Here's a summary:

>> When he first got into the company, he carried the stigma of being the "princeling". In East Asian culture, we tend to think descendants of successful business people as spoiled and incompetent and will run their parent's company into the ground. This stigma prevented people in the company from working with him.

>> That's why he chose to work at the Genba ("the actual place", i.e. the factory floor) since the frontline workers are the most pragmatic and approachable. These people represent the true spirit of the TPS philosophy.

>> He later got transferred to managing domestic sales, and what he saw was a complete mess. While the factory was hard at work minimizing lead times and inventory, cars would sit on dealer lots for weeks without being touched, completely negating the benefit of JIT. There was no communication between production and sales. And that's when he decided to completely reform Toyota's domestic dealership network (which is arguably one of his biggest achievements apart from TNGA and GR).

>> Gazoo Racing received no official support from HQ because they criticized it as "Akio's hobby" (yeah, otherwise how are they going to fund the poorly managed 1 billion Euro F1 program?), so they had to race two second-hand Altezzas. He was very frustrated when other manufacturer's sports cars flew past them and realized Toyota didn't have any sports car offerings at the time.

>> During the Global Financial Crisis, TMC fell into the red for the first time, and people within the company waited for him to crumble under pressure. So they made him a scapegoat for the sticking pedal hearings at the U.S. Congress.

>> Back then, the company operated under the "Global Master Plan". The strategy is centered on "profitable cars for profitable regions" and maximization of volume and scale. We often call this the "beancounter era". Akio was really shocked when he heard about an American journalist commenting "Lexus is boring - a sales channel, not a brand". That's when he realized TMC has lost the plot: instead of a car maker, it turned into a profit-maximizing machine.

>> One of the key pillars of his reforms was the "in-house company system". This separates the main corporation into 5 individual companies (Lexus, Compact, Mid-size, Commercial/Vans, and GR) so each company could focus on delivering diverse products for different regions of the world and become the only car company to offer "full lineup" globally. Previously under the GMP, products were created mainly for the U.S. market first, then decontented for the international market.

>> Akio certainly isn't afraid of saying the company needs an "ultimate authority" which is often disliked by investors. As the Master Driver, every new product need to receive greenlight after he test drives it (which matches the story that the LC-F was not approved because he felt it wasn't fast enough).

>> Finally, he talked about the "executive reforms". When he became the president, there were 79 executives and 67 "senior advisors", all of which older than 62 years old. Most of these people had no clue how the Genba works, and most of the titles were completely redundant. After the "reform", only 14 executives remained and there were no "senior advisors". This encouraged individuals to thinks independently and act with initiative, instead of waiting for instructions from above. By doing so, the authority was brought back to the Genba and away from corporate HQ, so the engineers and workers have more say on how products need to be designed and manufactured.

Reactions
While I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us Toyota and Lexus enthusiasts knew the general gist of what's going on, I appreciate this lovely breakdown. I love the further insight that we received. Thank you.

With that being said, I don't want to hear a single damn soul ever complain about Toyoda-san again. Nope. Don't wanna hear jack. Save it.

Reactions
>> Finally, he talked about the "executive reforms". When he became the president, there were 79 executives and 67 "senior advisors", all of which older than 62 years old. Most of these people had no clue how the Genba works, and most of the titles were completely redundant. After the "reform", only 14 executives remained and there were no "senior advisors". This encouraged individuals to thinks independently and act with initiative, instead of waiting for instructions from above. By doing so, the authority was brought back to the Genba and away from corporate HQ, so the engineers and workers have more say on how products need to be designed and manufactured.
I'm going to double post by shedding more light about this final point that was made by Toyoda-san. When reading this, I couldn't help but think about their F1 team.

Ideally, a well-run F1 team would have sub-teams that runs individually and in parallel to further develop and better certain elements of the car as well as optimizing the overall operation, and sub-teams would work together to ensure everything is being done in a cohesive manner. Occasionally, you'll have management getting involved and giving the green-light to certain projects ensuring that there is a (positive) direction within the team.

What Toyota did, was in fact the polar opposite of this, and it was to a point where people who worked for the team were being driven to insanity by their insane bureaucratic system. The reason why the F1 team completely crashed and burned was because Toyota did the exact opposite of what was mentioned here by Toyoda-san. It wasn't their cars, drivers, team members/engineers, equipment/facilities... none of that was to blame for their ultimate failure.

What happened was that they would hold meetings over the most minute changes within the team. These so-called meetings, slowed Toyota's progress down hard, and ultimately they felt the burn. It's disheartening, they had the best resources but with their horrendous management and obtuse way of thinking they failed and became the biggest disappointment in recent F1 history. This humiliation on the global stage was necessary though, as it showed that having a bunch of old fart executives inserting their nose into everything is not the way to run a motorsports outfit (let alone a F1 team, or to a greater extent, a car manufacturer). This taught Toyota the lesson that they need to compartmentalize and apply different skillsets in the right areas, while getting rid of unnecessary fluff in other areas.

Look at Toyota Gazoo Racing now. They have been winning championships left, right, and center, and was basically the number one manufacturer winning FIA titles last year, continuing their dominant momentum on the global stage for at least half a decade.

As someone that is following Toyota in WEC, it's fascinating to see how spectacularly their organization is managed, and seeing the pure look of jealousy and lowkey disgust on people's faces (*coughs* Porsche *coughs*) when they see Toyota's pace on-track and off-track brings me a lot of pleasure. Mind you, a lot of the people in Toyota's WEC team worked for Toyota F1 back in the day too. The only thing that changed? Management.

That only changed because of visionaries like Toyoda-san. Now Sato-san and the other executives that look at things pragmatically have understood the importance of everything, and there is no excuses for cutting corners. What they're doing is what Kiichiro and Shoichiro envisioned Toyota to be. Another remark I wanted to make was that Toyoda-san's success was a huge middle finger to some of the toxic east Asian (and in this case, Japanese) customs in the business world.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota just proved the largest car company can operate just fine if not better with a 90% reduction in high management and 50% reduction in middle management. Reminds me of early last year VAG had a meeting of 200 executives talking about how to innovate the no longer competitive VW brand and I saw people commenting "200 executives, that's the problem". Took VAG long enough to realize their high management is among the most incompetent and corrupt in the industry.

That only changed because of visionaries like Toyoda-san. Now Sato-san and the other executives that look at things pragmatically have understood the importance of everything, and there is no excuses for cutting corners. What they're doing is what Kiichiro and Shoichiro envisioned Toyota to be. Another remark I wanted to make was that Toyoda-san's success was a huge middle finger to some of the toxic east Asian (and in this case, Japanese) customs in the business world.
Sato-san is the man. He even did the unthinkable that even Toyoda-san didn't dare do: abolishing the Nenko(年功序列) system. Nenko is the most toxic Japanese corporate culture where promotions and salaries are tied to an employee's seniority and we all know just how bad that system is. But abolishing Nenko in a mega corporation is almost a taboo since that's the main reason people work for them for life. Last year Sato-san announced TMC will transition to merit-based pay and promotions based on contribution. This will surely make even more people angry, but this is the kind of reforms Japan desparately needs after the Three Lost Decades.

About a decade ago TMC also abolished the Naitei(内定) system where college graduates are recruited in bulk 6-12 months before their graduation. This sounds like a good way to ensure the most highly educated students get employed but in reality it works poorly. Most college students don't actually know what they want for their career, and being in the most prestigious college isn't guarantee for success (since in East Asia being a "good student" just means you are good at exams). The Naitei system just throw them straight into the corporate grinder where their most innovative and productive years are wasted working on trivial stuff. TMC instead adopted the apprenticeship system where students from technical schools or college are allowed to take apprenticeship in the factory while studying. Only people with passion about manufacturing and engineering stay with the company. My ex-boss's son took a 3-year apprenticeship on servicing high voltage electrical systems and later became a formal engineer in hybrid powertrain development. Of course they still do Naitei recruiting, but only for highly technical positions that require graduate level diploma.

Last edited: