After 40 years, BMW's 3 series rules a tougher league

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes and IMO they also need to address interiors and overall solidness, both areas where they lag slightly behind Mercedes and Lexus.

Regardless, seems like only Mercedes C-class (sedan plus new coupe) has a sniff of knocking the 3/4 off first place pedestal. Although IS/RC sales are showing strength. All the current gen 3 (and 5) series owners that I know are pleased with their cars.

The Cadillac ATS, according to a number of reviews, can outdo the latest 3/4 series in the handling department, but at the cost of a rather stiff ride and a somewhat unrefined turbo engine.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The Cadillac ATS, according to a number of reviews, can outdo the latest 3/4 series in the handling department, but at the cost of a rather stiff ride and a somewhat unrefined turbo engine.

Yes, and we know how poorly the ATS sells versus 3/4, C-class, IS/RC. ATS is not something BMW needs to worry about.

Good point about unacceptably crude 4 bangers, not to mention crappy GM/Cadillac interior, dated Escalade-derived body styling, and poor reliability/quality.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, and we know how poorly the ATS sells versus 3/4, C-class, IS/RC. ATS is not something BMW needs to worry about.

Good point about unacceptably crude 4 bangers, not to mention crappy GM/Cadillac interior, dated Escalade-derived body styling, and poor reliability/quality.

While I respect your opinion on it, I don't quite agree on the interior. The ATS (and most current Caddys, for that matter) are not the cheap plastic junk inside anymore (the Catera and 1Gen CTS were probably the worst) that Cadillac used as recently as up to about 6-7 years ago.

Back to the new BMW 3/4 series, I hope to get a good look at them at the D.C. Auto Show in about two weeks. Among other things, one thing I'm going to check out is how their interiors compare with that of the ATS.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
While I respect your opinion on it, I don't quite agree on the interior. The ATS (and most current Caddys, for that matter) are not the cheap plastic junk inside anymore (the Catera and 1Gen CTS were probably the worst) that Cadillac used as recently as up to about 6-7 years ago.

Back to the new BMW 3/4 series, I hope to get a good look at them at the D.C. Auto Show in about two weeks. Among other things, one thing I'm going to check out is how their interiors compare with that of the ATS.

Nobody said they were "cheap plastic junk inside".

But the ATS interior is no match for current equivalent Mercedes or Lexus in terms of design/style, fit and finish, quality of materials used. Just look at the lame Caddy steering wheel for starters, any good interior designer knows the importance of getting that right. I already checked out/compared Caddy (ATS), BMW, Lexus, Mercedes interiors at SF car show in November and again will do same at SJ this week.

As I implied before, BMW (and Mercedes and Lexus) is smarter than using ATS as it's compact premium car benchmark. Cadillac is losing market share in a booming premium car market today, and ATS follows that trend unfortunately.

Let's see if the new 340 addresses some of the concerns and helps keep BMW in #1 spot...

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nobody said they were "cheap plastic junk inside".

I was using the term as a figure of speech, not quoting you directly.

But the ATS interior is no match for current equivalent Mercedes or Lexus in terms of design/style, fit and finish, quality of materials used. Just look at the lame Caddy steering wheel for starters, any good interior designer knows the importance of getting that right. I already checked out/compared Caddy (ATS), BMW, Lexus, Mercedes interiors at SF car show in November and again will do same at SJ this week.

I plan to do the same at the D.C. show. I've seen the new C-Class interior in images/pictures, and read a lot of nice comments on it both here and in other forums/reviews, but have not yet actually seen it for myself.

Let's see if the new 340 addresses some of the concerns and helps keep BMW in #1 spot...

In other words, smiling all the way to the engineering department instead of to the bank. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I was using the term as a figure of speech, not quoting you directly.

In other words, smiling all the way to the engineering department instead of to the bank. ;)

Got it, an outdated figure of speech not applicable to my comment.

BMW is doing a fine job of building shareholder wealth with good cash flow, bankers are impressed accordingly. All top auto companies spend heavily on engineering and new product development (in contrast to VW for example).