5th Generation Toyota Prius

Will1991

Reactions
Maybe we will get a first look on the production Prius GR:

"and the CP ROOKIE PRIUS CNF-HEV GR concept, a newly added Prius HEV running on carbon-neutral fuel. The new Prius competing in this year's race has been developed based on a production vehicle, marking the first time that Toyota has competed with a production Prius HEV."

"TOYOTA GAZOO Racing has been refining its Racing Hybrid technology through its participation in the World Endurance Championship (WEC). This time, Toyota will introduce technology suitable for racing to the Prius to refine HEV technology that combines the fun of driving and fuel efficiency."

Motor

Expert
Reactions

BoziT

Fan
Reactions
Got to play around with a fifth gen Prius for a bit and was incredibly surprised at how well it handles. Really considering one as my next daily.

I went through the suspension and saw a lot of places where I could make adjustments to make it handle even better:

It also has a decent amount of space inside and even fits me at 6'2" in various configurations:

Reactions
Got to play around with a fifth gen Prius for a bit and was incredibly surprised at how well it handles. Really considering one as my next daily.

I went through the suspension and saw a lot of places where I could make adjustments to make it handle even better:

It also has a decent amount of space inside and even fits me at 6'2" in various configurations:

I don't know of a single person that hasn't raved about the new Prius. Toyota really knocked it outta the park with this one. Glad you enjoyed it Bozi. :)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I don't know of a single person that hasn't raved about the new Prius. Toyota really knocked it outta the park with this one. Glad you enjoyed it Bozi. :)
My wife is that person. :( She couldn't get over the rake on the windshield. She's getting a UX 300h instead. At least the UX is getting the 5th gen hybrid drivetrain from the Prius and there are a number of other little upgrades, but it sucks that a Prius Limited comes with heated rear seats, memory driver seat, birds eye camera, and digital rear view mirror and none of those are available on the UX Premium. Memory seats and maybe birds eye camera are on the F sport handling, but that trim doesn't come in the right color (Grecian water).

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I believe that it is time for a next-gen UX, based upon the latest Prius and Prius Prime, not just the 5th-gen hybrid but the latest plug-in hybrid technology. Re-package the new UX for much better (efficient) space utilization inside.

My wife is still waiting for her Prius Prime but if we knew there is a new UXh+ PHEV on the way, there may have been another option.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
In the US, anyway, there won’t be a new UX until ‘27 at the earliest. The ‘25 just got the 5th gen, so it will get 2-3 model years even though the UX is basically the same as ‘19.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
In the US, anyway, there won’t be a new UX until ‘27 at the earliest. The ‘25 just got the 5th gen, so it will get 2-3 model years even though the UX is basically the same as ‘19.
I realize that. But it can't come soon enough.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
My wife's Prius Prime has arrived, 21 months after ordering it (and initially being told the wait would be about 9 months). We test drove it last week and picked it up yesterday. Here are some first thoughts and impressions.

Despite the swoopy styling, it was not difficult to get in and out of the car, not even the back seat. When I was car shopping a few years ago, I looked at the Toyota Corolla but kept hitting my head getting into the back seat due to the cut of the door opening; I do not have the problem with the Prius.

Despite the rake of the front windshield, it was not a terrible problem looking around the A-pillars.

The car is loud. It is not annoyingly so, and it is definitely not buzzy, but it is definitely not what is expected given the general idea that EVs are whisper-quiet. When I first test drove it last week, I thought that the engine was running, but sitting in it yesterday as my wife drove it home, I realized that it is just a loud EV powertrain (and not just road noise).

It is most definitely a modern car. Let me explain.

My wife traded in a base 2013 Honda Accord in which everything was mechanical -- mechanical gauges, mechanical ignition key (and cranking the key to start the car) and mechanical (cable-operated) gear shift mechanism. My 2022 Camry Hybrid still has basic mechanical gauges and mechanical gear shift.

The Prius has full computer display gauges, push-button start and the not-yet-intuitive gear shift pattern. This is fine for a techy like me but will take some getting used to for my non-techy wife. I find her fighting the gear shifter (and still having problem getting the car into R or D), and had to tell her that she does not have to heft the gear shift, just tap it into position.

I also had to caution her to be gentle on the accelerator and brake pedals (to avoid having the engine turn on due to great and immediate torque demand), as she has a bit of a lead foot.

She commutes within the city and we are hoping that she can avoid running the engine (and consuming expensive gasoline), and only have to recharge the battery once a week at home. We have decided to delay installing a home EV charger until we become familiar with charging needs.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Greener Cars List 2024

View attachment 8768
That is a ridiculous amount of Toyota / Lexus products in the top 10 considering the analysis included > 1000 vehicles. I also find it hilariously shortsighted and borderline stupid when people claim to buy Teslas or whatever because it’s so “green” and that Toyota pollutes so much while neglecting all the geographical scarring involved in creating and disposing an EV (the heck are we gonna do when we have all these dead batteries). What irks me is when people bash the company for polluting while neglecting the fact that Toyota reduced emissions with their hybrid tech long before anyone cared. It’s not like people who drove traditional cars suddenly don’t need cars and they were converted to lower emission vehicles when they adopted a hybrid.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
That is a ridiculous amount of Toyota / Lexus products in the top 10 considering the analysis included > 1000 vehicles. I also find it hilariously shortsighted and borderline stupid when people claim to buy Teslas or whatever because it’s so “green” and that Toyota pollutes so much while neglecting all the geographical scarring involved in creating and disposing an EV (the heck are we gonna do when we have all these dead batteries). What irks me is when people bash the company for polluting while neglecting the fact that Toyota reduced emissions with their hybrid tech long before anyone cared. It’s not like people who drove traditional cars suddenly don’t need cars and they were converted to lower emission vehicles when they adopted a hybrid.
Half (6 out of 12) on the Greenest List are Toyota or Lexus vehicles.