LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Why isn't LX getting new Tundra/Sequoia hybrid consideration? Add maybe 5 mpg and a couple other niceties to the LX (mostly in the form of maybe 6-8 inches of length and 4-6 inches of width and I'd happily pay more than asking now. What say you Lexus?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Why isn't LX getting new Tundra/Sequoia hybrid consideration? Add maybe 5 mpg and a couple other niceties to the LX (mostly in the form of maybe 6-8 inches of length and 4-6 inches of width and I'd happily pay more than asking now. What say you Lexus?

The hybrid packaging is challenged.
Look at the third row in the sequoia when it's folded flat.

I imagine as energy density of their chemistry improves packaging will too.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The hybrid packaging is challenged.
Look at the third row in the sequoia when it's folded flat.

I imagine as energy density of their chemistry improves packaging will too.

Yes and supply constraints too. Hoping whatever update happens the LX keeps the floor flat.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So for New Year vacation we rented a Cayenne S. It's just 4 years old and 50k mi. Window switch panel fell off, ignition switch broke, parking sensors give false warning, transmission already shifting rough and slow (it's a PDK and is slower than a 2000s AT), infotainment reboots every time I plug in phone. It's $100k and doesn't have radar cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, auto folding and tilting mirrors, automatic tailgate with kick sensor, but with super fancy audio system, panoramic roof, height adjustable suspension. The Germans have some strange priorities.

That's a $100k SUV that will win every comparison against the LX600 but no thanks I will take the uncompetitive LX600.
20221223_144641_1.JPG

Reactions
So for New Year vacation we rented a Cayenne S. It's just 4 years old and 50k mi. Window switch panel fell off, ignition switch broke, parking sensors give false warning, transmission already shifting rough and slow (it's a PDK and is slower than a 2000s AT), infotainment reboots every time I plug in phone. It's $100k and doesn't have radar cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, auto folding and tilting mirrors, automatic tailgate with kick sensor, but with super fancy audio system, panoramic roof, height adjustable suspension. The Germans have some strange priorities.

That's a $100k SUV that will win every comparison against the LX600 but no thanks I will take the uncompetitive LX600.
View attachment 6563

That HAS to be a lemon. There's no way a Porsche is that unreliable.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Porsche is leagues ahead of other Germans, for sure.
Reliability and durability are two different things.
Will it start? Yes. Will it start like it used to when new after years of real world use?
That's a challenging thing to deliver on.

I'd say go test drive a bunch of used Porsches and see how they hold up for specific models.

The 911 is probably an outlier given how they've taken a near Toyota like approach to incrementally improving that car and how it's built over generations.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is used by the owner for online renting only (Turo) so it likely gets a lot of abuse. But window switches are things that don't simply fall off.

It is not a Lemon. For some reason the Cayenne feels well built and poorly built at the same time.

The owner has very good taste for cars BTW and he daily drives a GX460 and also has a Supra for renting. I feel the GX460 is just a standard fallback option when people grow tired of their unreliable German cars.

Last edited:
Reactions
Porsche is leagues ahead of other Germans, for sure.
Reliability and durability are two different things.
Will it start? Yes. Will it start like it used to when new after years of real world use?
That's a challenging thing to deliver on.

I'd say go test drive a bunch of used Porsches and see how they hold up for specific models.

The 911 is probably an outlier given how they've taken a near Toyota like approach to incrementally improving that car and how it's built over generations.

Caymans/Boxsters also hold up extremely well.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions

Even a brand new Cayenne will have dash light up like a christmas tree with warning lights. I've seen it myself right after two weeks of ownership from a close colleague. You know what's the weirdest thing? He was mad everytime but yet he made every pit stop at the dealer when the light got on.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's $100k and doesn't have radar cruise control, automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, auto folding and tilting mirrors, automatic tailgate with kick sensor, but with super fancy audio system, panoramic roof, height adjustable suspension. The Germans have some strange priorities.
That's wild, and it fills in a frequent question I have watching dash cam videos of people backing out of parking spaces into other cars. I believe every car Toyota currently sells would at the very least be sounding an alarm in that situation, and LSS+A would apply the brakes.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That's wild, and it fills in a frequent question I have watching dash cam videos of people backing out of parking spaces into other cars. I believe every car Toyota currently sells would at the very least be sounding an alarm in that situation, and LSS+A would apply the brakes.
What I also don't understand is it has hydraulic power steering and auto start-stop at the same time. This should never happen since the car is a sitting duck and has no ability to move out of danger when stopped at a traffic light with engine off. I also have this poor design on my XC60. Seems like the European brands put environment ahead of safety.

Reactions
I turn off the auto start-stop every time I start up my LX. It's annoying, but I am getting use to it.

I also have a Mini Cooper. There is a switch that turns off this feature and stays off. I'm not sure why this wasn't implemented in the Lexus vehicles.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Really missing the clamshell rear tailgate. Was at the airport and saw a guy in a Range Rover opening his and it just helps with loading and it was cool to see both sides were power operated. Also missing the digital mirror and I wish the second row moved fore and aft.

Going between the RX and LX as well as the LX drives for a BOF the RX being a unibody is way way smoother.

I do like the LX size, fits fine in a garage, really easy to park with the around view cameras and doesn’t feel like a bus.

Just some thoughts nearing 17k miles.