guy80

Fan
Reactions
Doug is good for utility reviews it seems to me. Except his E63 wagon bias (personally I'm a fan for a ski mobile with studded tires and a roof box for the skis..I digress).
I'll be the/my ultimate personal reviewer :)

Still on the fence about tuning the GX for more HP (assuming power is engaged early)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For someone in the European market the new LC250/GX is not such a good upgrade. The GX with V6 turbo we don’t get (and it would be too thirsty, but a fair alternative to a G63 which isn’t as practical and screams fake wannabe Eastern Mafia), and the T24A hybrid we don’t get either. Only engine is the 200 hp Diesel, which is a carryover from the more compact and lighter LC150, so performance and fuel economy will be worse in the new one. Too bad they didn’t give it the F33A which would it cannibalise LC300, because we don’t get it either anyway.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
For someone in the European market the new LC250/GX is not such a good upgrade. The GX with V6 turbo we don’t get (and it would be too thirsty, but a fair alternative to a G63 which isn’t as practical and screams fake wannabe Eastern Mafia), and the T24A hybrid we don’t get either. Only engine is the 200 hp Diesel, which is a carryover from the more compact and lighter LC150, so performance and fuel economy will be worse in the new one. Too bad they didn’t give it the F33A which would it cannibalise LC300, because we don’t get it either anyway.
It is odd that Toyota designed a totally new diesel and only put it in one vehicle. The oddball design of the F33 makes me wonder if they intended to put that engine in other applications (250 series, 70 series, and especially the Hilux), but back-peddled for some reason. Even a single turbo version of that engine would’ve been nice.

I still think Toyota should add two cylinders to the 2.8 and have a 4.2 I6 that replaces both the 4.5 V8 and 3.3 V6 diesels. Maybe even put that in a 250 series.

Reactions
If anyone still wants the last V8 GXs...

2023 Lexus GX Lease Discount Hits $3,000 Off MSRP

Discounts on the Lexus GX have increased ahead of a major redesign. According to bulletins sent to dealers, 2023 Lexus GX incentives have reached as much as $3,000 off MSRP. However, we found some important limitations that could make it hard for luxury SUV buyers to take advantage of these Lexus GX deals.

Through March 4th, all versions of the 2023 Lexus GX have $3,000 in lease cash on the East Coast, with offers starting at $589 for 36 months with $5,999 due at signing. On the West Coast, the discount is $2,500. Curiously, Lexus isn't offering any discount whatsoever in the Central U.S., creating a big disadvantage.

At $3,000 off MSRP, this is the largest 2023 Lexus GX discount that we've seen to date. Having said that, Lexus doesn't have a rebate for buyers, making leasing a way better deal. If you're intent on buying, Lexus is offering interest rates as low as 2.49% APR for 48 months, less than half the rate of most other Lexus models.

Unfortunately, finding a 2023 Lexus GX may be harder than you think. Even though the 2024 Lexus GX redesign hasn't arrived on dealership lots yet, national inventory data indicates the outgoing GX generation is nearly sold out. As a result, taking advantage of Lexus GX model-year-end deals could be very difficult.

This could put GX buyers in an odd position. After all, if the outgoing SUV is effectively sold out and the new one isn't on sale yet, you may simply need to wait. Lexus isn't offering any introductory deals yet on the 2024 GX. This could change in the coming months, but there's no guarantee of any sort of discount.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I've been reading Doug's writing since he was writing for TTAC in the early 10s. He built his brand on being casual/accessible and wildly enthusiastic about whatever he is discussing. That's his core competency. I don't watch many of his videos, but I can see the appeal of his unbridled enthusiasm -- particularly to the younger generation of enthusiasts.

Can't fault the dude's work ethic despite his personal presentation, though. He pretty much built his thing completely from scratch and apparently spends his resources in effective places. I'd much rather watch Doug geek out on little things in a dirty t-shirt than listen to Leno indifferently drone about a car he clearly doesn't care about (the Renault 5 Turbo II review comes to mind... guy was totally lost until the latter half of the review when it seemed like his brain fog lifted.)

Sorry, this is just covering for him. You're pretending like it's one or the other. There are dozens of small time car reviewers who manage to go into the details and still not look like they're some easy money, entitled trust fund trash.

You think 99% of car enthusiasts wouldn't like to just be "accessible" car reviewers? That's language used to cover a system where mediocre men can be elevated and rewarded, specifically because it's messaging to the population. "Educator in an inner city school? You're worthless. Now let me tell you about this man who throws a football for $20 million a year."

Can you imagine anyone defending Sofyan or other reviewers like him if they had this quality of presentation, this method of "i'm sheltered and entitled look at me" style of lazy, sloppy, dishrag delivery?

A lot of people don't have the luxury of being mediocre. It is a luxury. The fields i've worked in and the people i've met, some portion of whom are incredibly mediocre yet earn massive fortunes off of insider access and positioning, has really clarified a lot for me.

It's not a coincedence.

FYI, Jay Leno is a mediocre man who built a fortune off of being mediocre. He was never that funny, or intelligent, or well reasoned. He wasn't necessarily well spoken or the best presenter. As i've said, men like this embody as system of elevated mediocrity.

If you think Leno and Demuro found their success purely because of what they delivered, I have a bridge to sell you.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Sorry, this is just covering for him. You're pretending like it's one or the other. There are dozens of small time car reviewers who manage to go into the details and still not look like they're some easy money, entitled trust fund trash.

You think 99% of car enthusiasts wouldn't like to just be "accessible" car reviewers? That's language used to cover a system where mediocre men can be elevated and rewarded, specifically because it's messaging to the population. "Educator in an inner city school? You're worthless. Now let me tell you about this man who throws a football for $20 million a year."

Can you imagine anyone defending Sofyan or other reviewers like him if they had this quality of presentation, this method of "i'm sheltered and entitled look at me" style of lazy, sloppy, dishrag delivery?

A lot of people don't have the luxury of being mediocre. It is a luxury. The fields i've worked in and the people i've met, some portion of whom are incredibly mediocre yet earn massive fortunes off of insider access and positioning, has really clarified a lot for me.

It's not a coincedence.

FYI, Jay Leno is a mediocre man who built a fortune off of being mediocre. He was never that funny, or intelligent, or well reasoned. He wasn't necessarily well spoken or the best presenter. As i've said, men like this embody as system of elevated mediocrity.

If you think Leno and Demuro found their success purely because of what they delivered, I have a bridge to sell you.

Look, I didn't say it was a meritocracy. Almost nothing in this world is a meritocracy. The parent lottery and having the luxury of being able to take risks combined with pure dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time is an annoyingly significant portion of success. I'm saying he built it from scratch as in he didn't inherit a position at an established media outlet. Sure, he probably has contacts that got him access to things that he was able to effectively put to use.

I'm saying that he has built his brand on being goofy, likeable, and enthusiastic. Most people have a friend like that so it is relatable. I don't think he is mediocre, though. He found a niche and he's exploiting it. Is he otherworldly talented? Absolutely not. Did he do things with his resources that most people probably would not be able to do? Absolutely. Luxury of being able to fail or whatever, I'm not putting myself in the public eye like that so more power to him.

JMO, Sofyan and the rest of the youtube car media aren't even playing the same sport so it is somewhat pointless to compare them. Their thing is not saying too many mean things so they continue getting early access at press junkets. Alex on Autos is my choice for that style of review. And, TBH, I wouldn't care if his production quality was lower because that's not why I watch his video. I watch him because he gets way into the minutia of how the vehicle and the user interact with a lot of comparison callouts. His level of dress is inconsequential to his output.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I’m just thinking about how the GX product will evolve over this generation, but anyone think there is a chance of a GX F-sport? Kind of odd that Lexus will have an F sport offering for all of their models except GX, especially when 95% of the GX owners are not going to take their $80k SUV and scrape it up off-roading. Also wondering whether there is room for the TX 550 engine in there, TTV6 Hybrid, and eventual PHEV model. One can dream.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Look, I didn't say it was a meritocracy. Almost nothing in this world is a meritocracy. The parent lottery and having the luxury of being able to take risks combined with pure dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time is an annoyingly significant portion of success. I'm saying he built it from scratch as in he didn't inherit a position at an established media outlet. Sure, he probably has contacts that got him access to things that he was able to effectively put to use.

I'm saying that he has built his brand on being goofy, likeable, and enthusiastic. Most people have a friend like that so it is relatable. I don't think he is mediocre, though. He found a niche and he's exploiting it. Is he otherworldly talented? Absolutely not. Did he do things with his resources that most people probably would not be able to do? Absolutely. Luxury of being able to fail or whatever, I'm not putting myself in the public eye like that so more power to him.

JMO, Sofyan and the rest of the youtube car media aren't even playing the same sport so it is somewhat pointless to compare them. Their thing is not saying too many mean things so they continue getting early access at press junkets. Alex on Autos is my choice for that style of review. And, TBH, I wouldn't care if his production quality was lower because that's not why I watch his video. I watch him because he gets way into the minutia of how the vehicle and the user interact with a lot of comparison callouts. His level of dress is inconsequential to his output.

Having to "not say... too many mean things" to get access is a burden, and they don't have the luxury as I said of being a mediocre, critical loser and still getting access.

Anyone in Doug's spot could've delivered on what he did. Social media (and celebrity in general) very specifically elevates mediocre people to fame and fortunate, in part to confuse some people, incentive delusional others, and to signal to others yet that "you'll never be as successful as this mediocre man", even if they're an african american, female brain surgeon.

It's like the Chris Rock joke about his neighbours, and how his neighbour was a dentist while the african americans in his neighbourhood were all the best of their respective fields, just to get there.

The USA is filled with terrible, shitty people with enormous followings. It's not surprising given the first invading populations, who they were and how they behaved (including since then), but it's still disappointing to see how worthless our society is becoming to everyone but the 0.1% in 2023.

Will1991

Reactions
toyota-gr-yaris-2024-interior.jpg

That POV made remember the new GR Yaris dashboard!

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’d like to see a comparison between the GX E-KDSS and LC250 SDM. Both an Offroad flex test and a on-road body roll comparison would be interesting. I’m curious why Toyota developed two totally different systems to achieve similar goals.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I’d like to see a comparison between the GX E-KDSS and LC250 SDM. Both an Offroad flex test and a on-road body roll comparison would be interesting. I’m curious why Toyota developed two totally different systems to achieve similar goals.
Yes. He's going to talk about the differences in a future video.

Kai is by far the best channel for Toyota BOF products and I learn something new from his video every time.

mikeavelli

Reactions

It's not a coincedence.

This was beautiful and absolutely correct.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
My dealer just informed me that I should expect my GX around mid April. Anyone has any other info about dealer deliveries?
That would mean that GX's will leave factory in about a month and then another month to get to the states.