Reactions
The new GX in Chinese market is hybrid only, GX 550h. The same powertrain as LC250, 2.4 iForce MAX.

4 cylinder? Really?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
4 cylinder? Really?
It’s a turbo 4 hybrid with full-time AWD, same as the Tacoma Limited and LC250. That drivetrain puts out 326hp and 465 lb-ft torque. The TT V6 in the GX makes 349hp and 479 lb-ft torque. It’s a pretty negligible difference, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2.4T hybrid in the GX gets a bit more hp since Lexus usually tunes their vehicles for premium fuel.

I think the only real advantage the TT V6 has over the turbo 4 hybrid is the better towing capacity and not having the added complexity of the hybrid. That being said, it sounds like the turbo 4 hybrid may get considerably better mpg, and the I4 is a simpler engine (inline, single turbo).

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
It’s a turbo 4 hybrid with full-time AWD, same as the Tacoma Limited and LC250. That drivetrain puts out 326hp and 465 lb-ft torque. The TT V6 in the GX makes 349hp and 479 lb-ft torque. It’s a pretty negligible difference, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2.4T hybrid in the GX gets a bit more hp since Lexus usually tunes their vehicles for premium fuel.

I think the only real advantage the TT V6 has over the turbo 4 hybrid is the better towing capacity and not having the added complexity of the hybrid. That being said, it sounds like the turbo 4 hybrid may get considerably better mpg, and the I4 is a simpler engine (inline, single turbo).

The V6TT will have packaging advantages as it won't need space for the hybrid battery. I expect that the 550h will only offer 2 row models due to the 3rd row and battery basically occupying the same space. I don't think we'll see a repeat of the Sequoia 3rd row.

I'm excited to see a back to back comparison between the V6TT and the 2.4T hybrid for performance and fuel efficiency. IMO, one of the big benefits of going hybrid is that the manufacturers can downsize/detune the engine to more efficient during low load conditions. With the 1 motor hybrids from Toyota, thus far, we've only seen the standard engine with the electric motor added on -- effectively performance hybrids. This will be the first time we get to see the efficiency gain that comes from giving up 2 cylinders and 23hp. I hope it shakes out and is successful so we maybe see a 2.5L hybrid Tacoma that is kissing 30mpg or a 2.4T Tundra that can do 24mpg real world. (I fully realize that truck and SUV buyers largely don't care about gas mileage, but getting something like this out in the wild at least gives the concept a chance at success.)

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The V6TT will have packaging advantages as it won't need space for the hybrid battery. I expect that the 550h will only offer 2 row models due to the 3rd row and battery basically occupying the same space. I don't think we'll see a repeat of the Sequoia 3rd row.

I think you’re right about the packaging. We can already see that with the LC250. From what I’ve seen thus far, all the three row models have the 2.8 diesel.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

I'm excited to see a back to back comparison between the V6TT and the 2.4T hybrid for performance and fuel efficiency. IMO, one of the big benefits of going hybrid is that the manufacturers can downsize/detune the engine to more efficient during low load conditions. With the 1 motor hybrids from Toyota, thus far, we've only seen the standard engine with the electric motor added on -- effectively performance hybrids. This will be the first time we get to see the efficiency gain that comes from giving up 2 cylinders and 23hp. I hope it shakes out and is successful so we maybe see a 2.5L hybrid Tacoma that is kissing 30mpg or a 2.4T Tundra that can do 24mpg real world. (I fully realize that truck and SUV buyers largely don't care about gas mileage, but getting something like this out in the wild at least gives the concept a chance at success.)
What I’d like to see in that comparison is F33A.

Reactions

The big downside here isn't just towing capacity but also smoothness and refinement. The 4cyl tends to be quite noisy and buzzy in Toyota and Lexus products, as compared to their german counterparts.

Reactions
The big downside here isn't just towing capacity but also smoothness and refinement. The 4cyl tends to be quite noisy and buzzy in Toyota and Lexus products, as compared to their german counterparts.
I would be interested in hearing more about this. Does the noisy 4 cylinder you mentioned include a 4 cylinder hybrid? I'd been hoping that the electric motor boost on the forthcoming LC250/GX550h/6thGen4Runner would make it somewhat quiet. Do we already know Toyota's 4cylinder hybrid engine is noisy based on other models?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I would be interested in hearing more about this. Does the noisy 4 cylinder you mentioned include a 4 cylinder hybrid? I'd been hoping that the electric motor boost on the forthcoming LC250/GX550h/6thGen4Runner would make it somewhat quiet. Do we already know Toyota's 4cylinder hybrid engine is noisy based on other models?
Having driven the current model Camry (non-hybrid) immediately before getting my current Camry Hybrid, I can comment on the A25A normally-aspirated 4-cylinder (but not the T24A turbo-4).

The A25A-FKS in the normal Camry is very buzzy -- both loud and rough.

The A25A-FXS in the Camry Hybrid is still buzzy, but less so; the hybrid system really does smooth out the engine.

The extra insulation of a Lexus probably does help to make these Dynamic Force 4-cylinder engines smoother and quieter, but the comments tell me that these new engines are less refined (louder and rougher) than the old AR-series 4-cylinder engines.

Reactions
Having driven the current model Camry (non-hybrid) immediately before getting my current Camry Hybrid, I can comment on the A25A normally-aspirated 4-cylinder (but not the T24A turbo-4).

The A25A-FXS in the Camry Hybrid is still buzzy, but less so; the hybrid system really does smooth out the engine.

The extra insulation of a Lexus probably does help to make these Dynamic Force 4-cylinder engines smoother and quieter, but the comments tell me that these new engines are less refined (louder and rougher) than the old AR-series 4-cylinder engines.
Appreciate the feedback. I will be keeping this in mind once the hybrid rolls out.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions

And i guess toyota knows that too that's why they are launching a new series of engines pretty soon

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Doug DeMuro is such a physical embodiment of the promote-the-right-mediocre-people insider-access world we live in.

Imagine all that youtube traction and you still can't be bothered to put any effort into your videos or how you present yourself.

"It's OK I appeal to trash" I imagine would be the response.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
THIS is cool
He gave it a good Doug score. Top 4, behind 2 Land Rovers and Mercedes G-wagon. Top score in many categories. If “reliability” was even one of his metrics I’m sure it would absolutely thrash the competition since Land Rover reliability is pretty much a meme now and reliability is the last thing on Mercedes’ mind when it comes to their SUVs. GX has a lot of new tech but even then the competition has established poor reliability

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Doug DeMuro is such a physical embodiment of the promote-the-right-mediocre-people insider-access world we live in.

Imagine all that youtube traction and you still can't be bothered to put any effort into your videos or how you present yourself.

"It's OK I appeal to trash" I imagine would be the response.
I've been reading Doug's writing since he was writing for TTAC in the early 10s. He built his brand on being casual/accessible and wildly enthusiastic about whatever he is discussing. That's his core competency. I don't watch many of his videos, but I can see the appeal of his unbridled enthusiasm -- particularly to the younger generation of enthusiasts.

Can't fault the dude's work ethic despite his personal presentation, though. He pretty much built his thing completely from scratch and apparently spends his resources in effective places. I'd much rather watch Doug geek out on little things in a dirty t-shirt than listen to Leno indifferently drone about a car he clearly doesn't care about (the Renault 5 Turbo II review comes to mind... guy was totally lost until the latter half of the review when it seemed like his brain fog lifted.)