Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions

• First-ever Overtrail and Overtrail+ grades with standard 33-inch All-Terrain tires/18-inch wheels
  • 3.4L twin-turbo V6 produces 349 horsepower; 479 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Hybrid powertrain available; introduced in the U.S. at a later date
  • Standard Lexus Safety System+ 3.0 and Lexus Interface with 14-inch multimedia touchscreen
  • Up to 8,000 lbs. towing capacity
  • Starting MSRP of $64,250* (includes Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee)
  • Expected to arrive at Lexus dealerships in early 2024

https://pressroom.lexus.com/vehicle/2024-lexus-gx/

Final spec sheet here as well.
-Curb weight: 5500-5700 lbs.
-Cargo capacity of 90 cu.ft in Overtrail
-Co-efficent drag is .399 (LX is .376)
-0-60 in 6.5 seconds (LX is 6.9 but records as low as 5.9 in instrumented tests)
-21.1 Gallon fuel tank from the LX as well

Wonder how fast this thing would be with that 421HP TRD tune and the optional AAP Catback exhaust(~2K)
Overall, love it. Only thing holding me back is Digital Rear View mirror not available on the Overtrail--a MUST for me. Anyone with multiple dogs hogging up the cargo area knows you can't see anything out the back. Maybe MY25 spreads the love and new interior colors.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Still very impressed with this new GX as a total package, and I'm glad the pricing for the base models didn't jump too much.

At the initial reveal, some folks were unhappy with the MPG numbers but it's a physically larger vehicle, 400-500lbs heavier and less aerodynamic, so... it is what it is. For that tradeoff, you're getting more space, a much better looking vehicle, more capability, and you can't have it all. 21 MPG highway seems just fine to me for all of that.

Also thinking about that factory tune with the catback exhaust. A 400hp+ GX would pretty much be my dream :love:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Now with official specs we confirm one thing: the light duty series chassis is almost identical to the station wagon chassis. The GX550's GVWR is now 3250kg vs. LX600's 3280kg. That's a 260kg increase over the old J150 chassis. Thanks to that an Overtrail could carry almost as much payload as a Tundra, great for overland builders who want to add a lot of gear. My guess for the reason behind this is the hybrid powertrain adds so much weight they have to increase GVWR to maintain the same payload capacity.

Once again this leaves the question that what really distinguishes J250 from J300. The light duty is almost as good as the station wagon, but at much lower price. What's the catch?

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
It’s a byproduct of consolidating platforms. The lesser models have greatly benefitted from TNGA especially the BOF products as the F platform is engineered for the Land Cruiser. Now the 300/310 series are still more premium than J250 as for example it uses more aluminum body panels. The station wagon series is more upscale and luxurious than the light duty series. Soon enough they’ll be further distinguished once the hybrid powertrains arrive for the former.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Now with official specs we confirm one thing: the light duty series chassis is almost identical to the station wagon chassis. The GX550's GVWR is now 3250kg vs. LX600's 3280kg. That's a 260kg increase over the old J150 chassis. Thanks to that an Overtrail could carry almost as much payload as a Tundra, great for overland builders who want to add a lot of gear. My guess for the reason behind this is the hybrid powertrain adds so much weight they have to increase GVWR to maintain the same payload capacity.

Once again this leaves the question that what really distinguishes J250 from J300. The light duty is almost as good as the station wagon, but at much lower price. What's the catch?
That's the bottom-line question. The answer should come in the form of the MY25 LX refresh. Because right now, a GX 550 looks like an amazing value proposition next to an LX 600. You get 90% of the flagship vehicle for 30-40k less.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Ops, my sales guy just send me a text that production has moved further back and I should not expect the car before March / April.!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Also the top trim GX is same weight as LX but the rated acceleration performance is better despite 60PS power difference. So they either underrated the engine (like the IS300 AWD) or heavily underrated LX's performance.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
Also the top trim GX is same weight as LX but the rated acceleration performance is better despite 60PS power difference. So they either underrated the engine (like the IS300 AWD) or heavily underrated LX's performance.
Which makes the LC300 lighter which is wild. I think it's the latter. The LX should stay faster.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
21 MPG isn’t bad. I’d be happy with that. The GX is really shaping up to be a stellar vehicle.
As mentioned above by CCTX it looks like it’s 17 mpg combined. I’m hoping the hybrid version hits 21 mpg combined. Anymore than that is a bonus and fingers crossed that it’s under 5K for hybrid variant. The twin turbo is powerful enough for my needs so I’m hoping Lexus tuned the hybrids for efficiency.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
As mentioned above by CCTX it looks like it’s 17 mpg combined. I’m hoping the hybrid version hits 21 mpg combined. Anymore than that is a bonus and fingers crossed that it’s under 5K for hybrid variant. The twin turbo is powerful enough for my needs so I’m hoping Lexus tuned the hybrids for efficiency.
Yes, I understand the 17 was combined.

I believe the hybrid is going to be the T24 hybrid, same as the LC250. Power would probably be a bit less than the V35.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
How do you guys speculate how they position the pricing on the hybrids?
I'd expect same price as the V6TT. The RX350 (2.4T) and RX350h (2.5HEV) are practically the same price. The NX350 (2.4T) and NX350h (2.5HEV) are practically the same price.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I'd expect same price as the V6TT. The RX350 (2.4T) and RX350h (2.5HEV) are practically the same price. The NX350 (2.4T) and NX350h (2.5HEV) are practically the same price.
I thought that too, but I figured they would probably need a bigger battery to carry all the weight which might drive up the price. Hope you’re right.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I thought that too, but I figured they would probably need a bigger battery to carry all the weight which might drive up the price. Hope you’re right.
Tundra uses a relatively small battery (<2kWh, IIRC). I'd expect a similar size on the GX 550h and Land Cruiser. We know Tundra gets a $2500-3000 cost up by going hybrid, but the difference is that it adds the 47hp motor and battery; nothing is removed to offset. The GX 550 to GX 550h should get some cost down on engine and transmission to offset the cost.

EngineTransmissionTransfer CaseProp shaftDiffsBatteryMotor
GX 5503.4TT10ATFT 4WDF&RF&Rnonenone
GX 550h2.4T (cheaper)8AT (cheaper)FT 4WDF&RF&R<2kwhmid capacity
RX 3502.4T8ATAWDRRnonenone
RX 350h2.5 (cheaper)2 motor hybridnonenonenone
(part of
rear motor)
~1kwhmid capacity

As you can see above, the RX and NX have a slight advantage to keeping the cost level. The get to dump quite a few parts in the transition to hybrid to help offset the cost of adding the rear motor and battery.

Ultimately, manufacturers price things less by bill of material changes and more by what they think the market will bear. If the GX 550 has slightly better performance and slightly worse fuel efficiency than the 550h, I think the prices will come in about the same because the market will value them the same. If the performance and drivability is identical but there is a decent improvement in efficiency, the 550h will be more expensive. If Toyota needs to sell a lot more 550h than 550 for their fleet fuel efficiency regulations, the 550h will be cheaper.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Tundra uses a relatively small battery (<2kWh, IIRC). I'd expect a similar size on the GX 550h and Land Cruiser. We know Tundra gets a $2500-3000 cost up by going hybrid, but the difference is that it adds the 47hp motor and battery; nothing is removed to offset. The GX 550 to GX 550h should get some cost down on engine and transmission to offset the cost.

EngineTransmissionTransfer CaseProp shaftDiffsBatteryMotor
GX 5503.4TT10ATFT 4WDF&RF&Rnonenone
GX 550h2.4T (cheaper)8AT (cheaper)FT 4WDF&RF&R<2kwhmid capacity
RX 3502.4T8ATAWDRRnonenone
RX 350h2.5 (cheaper)2 motor hybridnonenonenone
(part of
rear motor)
~1kwhmid capacity

As you can see above, the RX and NX have a slight advantage to keeping the cost level. The get to dump quite a few parts in the transition to hybrid to help offset the cost of adding the rear motor and battery.

Ultimately, manufacturers price things less by bill of material changes and more by what they think the market will bear. If the GX 550 has slightly better performance and slightly worse fuel efficiency than the 550h, I think the prices will come in about the same because the market will value them the same. If the performance and drivability is identical but there is a decent improvement in efficiency, the 550h will be more expensive. If Toyota needs to sell a lot more 550h than 550 for their fleet fuel efficiency regulations, the 550h will be cheaper.
Amazing post! Thank you for the thorough breakdown

Reactions
Ops, my sales guy just send me a text that production has moved further back and I should not expect the car before March / April.!
I have heard several others indicate the same online, some are now saying May and that this issue is attributed to something that was found on the production line. No other details at this time but if you hear more please let us know! Tahara cannot afford to tarnish their reputation and quality will be priority over release date. I will patiently wait.