Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Had the exact same thoughts. Which begs the question: where does this leave the LX? You could not ignore this seeing LX and new GX side by side at the auto show. The LX interior was outdated, didn’t have the latest OS.

I am really hoping they have a HEAVY refresh mid-gen. It’s not the treatment you would expect at the LX level.

I agree - I think the LX situation is two-fold:

1: GX interior design is more utilitarian with less traditional Lexus luxury, LX is more luxury-forward and more traditional. This probably separates them for many buyers, even though GX has a few key features the LX is missing like panoramic roof, 14" screen, front massaging seats, etc.

2: LX has got to have a substantial refresh coming soon, and LX 700h will definitely position itself clearly ahead of GX 550 and GX 550h.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The GX doesn't have much of a legacy globally so they were able to start from a clean sheet and make a Lexus version of Defender. For a long time its position is an affordable 3-row SUV for NA customers because the TX took so long. It's only in recent years that people realized its previously overlooked off-road potential.

The LX has to appeal to such diverse global customer base and none of them want to compromise on anything previous LX are good at. So the design team had their hands tied in the back and couldn't take significant steps forward.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
They are not going to sell the Lexus GX 550 in the GCC countries where the LX sells extremely well. At least not anytime soon.
How do I know this for certain?
I just checked the tech info for the new GX, no designation for GCC market.
Does this mean it will never be introduced here?
No one knows for certain, it could eventually come as lots are calling for it but the fact is, it won't be available at launch.

Why is this?
They are afraid it will flop like the old GX which failed sales wise in our market + Due to pricing probably being more than some J300 models.

Do I agree with that worry?
No, the new GX is a different league honestly and definitely would have sold more than it did in the past.
As for it being priced more than some J300 models, I think they are different enough that they could both survive side by side.

As @Gecko said the the J300/J310 will appeal to more traditional buyers and they will always be there.
Even the people who would have bought the GX 550 in our region had it been offered, would more than likely have least one J300/J310 in the house hold.

The new Defender is doing really well sales wise in our region and this new GX would have definitely gave Land Rover something to worry about around these parts...

Anyway we will still get the Prado.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I also feel that all the talk about Lexus should make the LX its own G-wagen fail to realize these:

Traditional LX buyers either don't want a G-wagen or already have a G-wagen. They use the LX for a different purpose.

Those who want a Toyota G-wagen probably already have a heavily modified J70/80/105/200 for off-road excursions.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I also feel that all the talk about Lexus should make the LX its own G-wagen fail to realize these:

Traditional LX buyers either don't want a G-wagen or already have a G-wagen. They use the LX for a different purpose.

Those who want a Toyota G-wagen probably already have a heavily modified J70/80/105/200 for off-road excursions.
Most G wagons here are G63s anyway.

More people use the LX off road here than G wagons (which like I said are mostly G63s) around these parts.

Looking forward to see the G wagon update actually...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
GX has exposed door window frames inside, LX has plastic cladding. LX has V6 Diesel, GX does not. LX has three locking diffs, GX two.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Had the exact same thoughts. Which begs the question: where does this leave the LX? You could not ignore this seeing LX and new GX side by side at the auto show. The LX interior was outdated, didn’t have the latest OS.

I am really hoping they have a HEAVY refresh mid-gen. It’s not the treatment you would expect at the LX level.

I assume LX will get a new powertrain with the rumored hybrid to continue to show its top dog.

Respectfully, I still much prefer the LX to the GX.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
GX has exposed door window frames inside, LX has plastic cladding. LX has V6 Diesel, GX does not. LX has three locking diffs, GX two.
I get that, loud and clear. But someone buying a LX isn’t obsessing about 2 vs 3 locking diffs. A salesman is unlikely to sway someone with that information. With GX acquiring massage seats, modern infotainment system and larger screen it gets murky whether Lexus considers this their flagship or not, and those features speak louder to consumers however true the LX features you listed may be.
I assume LX will get a new powertrain with the rumored hybrid to continue to show its top dog.

Respectfully, I still much prefer the LX to the GX.
Not arguing with you here, Mike, but you are a true enthusiast who can look past the surface and appreciate what the product offers at its core.

My problem is that the LX is Lexus’ flagship. I don’t want it to have to compromise or even question whether it’s superior to the GX. It should be a culmination of the BEST luxury and tech that Lexus has to offer. No concessions because this is not entry level UX. A product so competitive that it forces German automakers to stay up at night and figure out how to deal with this monster. A bold challenge to everything it has to compete against. If anyone can do it, it’s Lexus - with all of their resources, technology, know-how and patents. We saw it with LFA, we saw it with original LS.

I am impressed how much Mazda is doing this with such little resources they have.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The triple locker LX also has curb eating bumpers, 31 inch tires, and 200mm ground clearance (less than RAV4) because logic.

Just look at it. It really is a "station wagon". This JDM-exclusive LX600 "OFFROAD" is up there with the most stupid Lexus trims made in recent years.
1701925316894.png
1701925247278.png

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I get that, loud and clear. But someone buying a LX isn’t obsessing about 2 vs 3 locking diffs. A salesman is unlikely to sway someone with that information. With GX acquiring massage seats, modern infotainment system and larger screen it gets murky whether Lexus considers this their flagship or not, and those features speak louder to consumers however true the LX features you listed may be.
It is likely a matter of timing. The GX is coming out after the LX redesign but just before the LX midcycle refresh. So it is going to be a little more fresh and modern than a car that is effectively 2 years older. The LX midcycle refresh is probably going to pick up a lot of those features that the GX has. They either weren't ready or weren't considered necessary at the time of developing the spec for the LX. We will see the exact same thing with Tacoma and Tundra. The new '24 Tacoma will seem more modern than the '24 Tundra because 2 years have passed since the initial spec of the 4th gen Tundra.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Not arguing with you here, Mike, but you are a true enthusiast who can look past the surface and appreciate what the product offers at its core.

My problem is that the LX is Lexus’ flagship. I don’t want it to have to compromise or even question whether it’s superior to the GX. It should be a culmination of the BEST luxury and tech that Lexus has to offer. No concessions because this is not entry level UX. A product so competitive that it forces German automakers to stay up at night and figure out how to deal with this monster. A bold challenge to everything it has to compete against. If anyone can do it, it’s Lexus - with all of their resources, technology, know-how and patents. We saw it with LFA, we saw it with original LS.

I am impressed how much Mazda is doing this with such little resources they have.

Good post. I think if the LX had an interior more like the LS and LC people would more clearly understand the difference. I think some of it is the LX is not a USA product so our asks I assume are behind the Middle East. Contrarily the TX was made for us.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've seen some discussions on the facebook groups that GX 550s are starting to show up in inventory for some dealers, so I feel like first drives can't be too far off...?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I've seen some discussions on the facebook groups that GX 550s are starting to show up in inventory for some dealers, so I feel like first drives can't be too far off...?

Wtf, i havent even heard from mine.

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
Cant wait, I placed my deposit months ago. Hopefully I will be hearing from my sales guy soon! so exciting.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I believe it's a 6-8 week timeframe for North American dealers to get vehicles from Tahara, so each dealer has different protocols for how soon/far they add that inventory to their websites.

There is travel by boat, rail, and hauler that depends on ports and processing locations, so it's highly variable.

If you haven't heard anything by now, I wouldn't be worried :)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• First-ever Overtrail and Overtrail+ grades with standard 33-inch All-Terrain tires/18-inch wheels
  • 3.4L twin-turbo V6 produces 349 horsepower; 479 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Hybrid powertrain available; introduced in the U.S. at a later date
  • Standard Lexus Safety System+ 3.0 and Lexus Interface with 14-inch multimedia touchscreen
  • Up to 8,000 lbs. towing capacity
  • Starting MSRP of $64,250* (includes Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee)
  • Expected to arrive at Lexus dealerships in early 2024