UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I'm curious to know what's the model code for the new GX.
Can anyone who sees this live check for us please.

Maybe VJA250?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the name "Land Cruiser" just refers to "the most capable and dependable BoF Toyota truck period". In that case, nothing less than the J300 should be considered "real Land Cruiser". The "real Land Cruiser" family (J80, J105, J200, J300) has that "25-year service life" target, using the highest standard and best facility/people to ensure maximum QDR, and the highest GVM rating plus margins. But that kind of recipe failed in NA because of the price and its target demographics wanting a Lexus badge.

"Offroading" as a part of car culture really shouldn't be generalized as one group. That would be like grouping people who do track driving, drag racing, drifting, rallying into just one group of "sports car enthusiasts". And similarly there really is no one-size-fits-all solution for offroading.

As an example, the Mitsubishi Pajero with its unique unibody-BOF hybrid construction and four wheel independent suspension has no place doing rock crawling, but is a legendary desert runner because of its agility. Wrangler is unbeatable for rock crawling, but is actually terrible for gravel and dirt driving because of the terrible handling. Nissan Patrol/Armada may not excel at any one thing, but is extremely comfortable for long-distance overlanding (even surpassing the LC). The Jimny is an extremely light mountain goat that can bypass all the obstacles that get big trucks stuck, but is barely drivable on road and can be stopped by the shallowest rivers. Among all these, the LC has always been that jack of all trades master of none vehicle that tries to cater to the maximum amount of off-road users. And that's why it's so successful. That role is filled by the 4Runner and the new GX in NA so I'm not really sure where Toyota would position this vehicle. The volume would not justify a multiple trim for different purpose approach like the Tacoma so they would have to focus on one thing.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I think the name "Land Cruiser" just refers to "the most capable and dependable BoF Toyota truck period". In that case, nothing less than the J300 should be considered "real Land Cruiser". The "real Land Cruiser" family (J80, J105, J200, J300) has that "25-year service life" target, using the highest standard and best facility/people to ensure maximum QDR, and the highest GVM rating plus margins. But that kind of recipe failed in NA because of the price and its target demographics wanting a Lexus badge.

"Offroading" as a part of car culture really shouldn't be generalized as one group. That would be like grouping people who do track driving, drag racing, drifting, rallying into just one group of "sports car enthusiasts". And similarly there really is no one-size-fits-all solution for offroading.

As an example, the Mitsubishi Pajero with its unique unibody-BOF hybrid construction and four wheel independent suspension has no place doing rock crawling, but is a legendary desert runner because of its agility. Wrangler is unbeatable for rock crawling, but is actually terrible for gravel and dirt driving because of the terrible handling. Nissan Patrol/Armada may not excel at any one thing, but is extremely comfortable for long-distance overlanding (even surpassing the LC). The Jimny is an extremely light mountain goat that can bypass all the obstacles that get big trucks stuck, but is barely drivable on road and can be stopped by the shallowest rivers. Among all these, the LC has always been that jack of all trades master of none vehicle that tries to cater to the maximum amount of off-road users. And that's why it's so successful. That role is filled by the 4Runner and the new GX in NA so I'm not really sure where Toyota would position this vehicle. The volume would not justify a multiple trim for different purpose approach like the Tacoma so they would have to focus on one thing.

Well stated. My Toyota HQ source claimed this in a previous conversation.

Price point is not a concern to them against GX and 4Runner. 4Runner will have its own customers, in greater volume. Land Cruiser will be 25% of 4Runner volume and specialized.

I don't want to say too much, but those are the targets.

Bronco Badlands/Heritage Edition is the main focus, while GX is Defender I6 and Geländewagen G 550.

4Runner will continue attacking the segment that no longer exists, with unibody fully independent suspension Explorer and non-existent direct rival in Everest, unibody transverse Pathfinder, and unibody fully independent suspension Grand Cherokee.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
from my dealer this morning...
Thank you. What I said wasn't incorrect, because there's some inconsistency with scheduling. My source claimed January 2024 SOP, despite previously sharing October 2023 many months ago. Toyota keeps doing that, where the Tacoma was delayed 4 months from August 2023 SOP to December 2023. Then it became November 2023 SOP ultimately for December 2023 intro.

Launch per my commentary, has to do with market launch in terms of first customer deliveries or OK To Buy., not when production starts. December 2023 was the internally held launch date for the GX from Q2 2021 to Q2 2023. Other sources backed this up previously.

Yet at reveal, they've told Europe "end of 2023". In North America, they're stating "Early 2024" to instead.

A December 2023 production start means February 2024 market launch. With Tahara and shipping times in sufficient enough volume, it is always takes 8-10 weeks before Ok To Buy is given.

Lexus began production of the LS 400 on May 15, 1989, but the first cars arrived in USA in August 1989. Some were sold before the official September 1, 1989 launch date. The extra wait, was due to ES 250 launch taking longer than LS 400, due to it being more last minute and needing extra time to enter production.

With GX, no matter which day production begins in December or January, expect another 8 weeks before sales begin officially. The ordering process in North America is very different from other countries.

I also remember how the LC 500 debuted on January 11, 2016 as the 2017 LC 500, quickly being revised to "2018 LC 500" by the end of the day. It was the weirdest last minute change I'd seen yet. It was supposed to be launched in Q1 2017, quickly becoming April/May 2017 instead.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
technically they're already too wide for trail use - although Tundra wide is "next level" of too wide

I've offroading my 4runner for 15yrs in Colorado

This is a slight concern. In the carribean the Prado/GX is popular because it’s a rather slim 7 seater. LX is too wide for many of the roads. As we look at options for Dominica the GX again being nimble and smart size was a huge plus. Note it’s also no longer as a RX in 460 form. Now it’s pretty much LX sized.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Why didn't they showcase the luxury trim with 22' wheels......wondered how it looked

Usually based on what they can get…In a perfect world both would be loaded….

Seems there is an event on the East Coast with another Earth Overtrail….

Reactions
My iphone video of the luxury model

2024 Lexus GX 550 Luxury | iPhone walkaround
Mike, thanks for the video, while you were looking at it in person, did the rear side windows seem small to you?

They seem like the over the shoulder visibility for lane changes may be limited, like, dare I say, the FJ Cruiser.

1686749181284.png
GXP5010.jpg

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Mike, thanks for the video, while you were looking at it in person, did the rear side windows seem small to you?

They seem like the over the shoulder visibility for lane changes may be limited, like, dare I say, the FJ Cruiser.
You'll never have to do an over the shoulder glance for a lane change if you adjust your mirrors per this link: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

I honestly don't even notice that my cars have blind spot monitoring anymore because I'm aware the car is there before the BSM light comes on.

Reactions
You'll never have to do an over the shoulder glance for a lane change if you adjust your mirrors per this link: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

I honestly don't even notice that my cars have blind spot monitoring anymore because I'm aware the car is there before the BSM light comes on.
Hi Mike, thanks for the link, I'll give the SAE methodology a try. In years and years of driving I've never had a blind spot accident, I like the belt and suspenders method, even though I love all my nanny electronics, including BSD.

Now as far as the Car & Driver author writing that article, I can only say, if he believes what he wrote “Have fun filling out those accident reports" if you don't use the SAE method, how do I say in the nicest words, he must be ignorant of how to properly use the shoulder glance methodology.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I cant wait to get mine. Even the Luxury models can trailer tow an LC500 too.
Its a totally resonable car theyve built for everyday applications.

Gonna park it on some dirt occasionally.