Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
This was posted in one of the GX 550 groups but… GX is huge! We knew that based on specs but seeing it next to the LX makes it feel real.

View attachment 9041
I guess no lx overtrail needed?

This generation of the Lexus BOF is shaping upto be, you want a offroad focused TGNA-F or do you want a luxury TGNA-F?

Whereas in previous years it was do you want medium or large with that dual onroad offroad Lexus BOF?

Falcon

Fan
Reactions

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Would an LX600 Overtrail sway anyone over a GX OT+?

Probably looking at more power, better MPG, EKDSS, real leather, plenty color options and an extra locker. A substantial interior refresh could do wonders. It'd be a true 300 series as well.
Also would be 115k at least.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Just wait for the Overtrail version later this year. It'll come with a front locker (1 more than the GX).

AHC makes it the most refined BOF vehicle they make.

LX 700h on the way! I also hope the V8 is only on hiatus and returns eventually. They can make it happen.
Do you know if it would have an updated interior? Maybe toned down grille? In my opinion, it needs to have these things addressed to convince buyers to spend almost double going from GX to LX.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
LX suffers from the same thing every LX has suffered from. It doesn't know what the heck it is (in the US market). It looks like an X7 competitor from the outside, but being on top of a frame and solid axle completely make a mess of the interior space. It's a 6000lb tank that feels crowded inside. It needs to be wider and longer if it will ever go for the Escalade market. It needs to drop BOF if it wants to fight the big German SUVs. Ultimately, it works really well for the Middle East market and that's probably where it should stay. There needs to be another product all together if they want to sell in volume in the US. Adding hybrid, adding a front locker, adding an overtrail... none of those things fix the inherent problems in its market.

Honestly, an LS based SUV is probably what the LX should be become. There's no need for a luxury 300 series LC in the US.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don’t see in what way the GX is better than the LX. It will is mostly a question in styling preference.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I don’t see in what way the GX is better than the LX. It will is mostly a question in styling preference.
Most people who are buying GX or LX are not driving these off road. The vast majority of people buying these are using them as mall crawlers. They are now equal in size. The GX has an updated interior. It also has massage seats, a premium feature not even available on the LX. The reception for the GX styling has been very positive and it has been questionable for the LX. Some people would question “why pay >40k more for an LX.”

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
LX suffers from the same thing every LX has suffered from. It doesn't know what the heck it is (in the US market). It looks like an X7 competitor from the outside, but being on top of a frame and solid axle completely make a mess of the interior space. It's a 6000lb tank that feels crowded inside. It needs to be wider and longer if it will ever go for the Escalade market. It needs to drop BOF if it wants to fight the big German SUVs. Ultimately, it works really well for the Middle East market and that's probably where it should stay. There needs to be another product all together if they want to sell in volume in the US. Adding hybrid, adding a front locker, adding an overtrail... none of those things fix the inherent problems in its market.

Honestly, an LS based SUV is probably what the LX should be become. There's no need for a luxury 300 series LC in the US.
The Escalade is -- and always has been -- a body-on-frame vehicle. Its continued presence on the market is proof that there is a demand in North America for large truck-based soft roaders.

The best and most logical competitor from Toyota for the Escalade would have been -- I thought -- the Sequoia, but this latest generation vehicle was obviously a missed opportunity, in size, and suspension and drivetrain.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The Escalade is -- and always has been -- a body-on-frame vehicle. Its continued presence on the market is proof that there is a demand in North America for large truck-based soft roaders.

The best and most logical competitor from Toyota for the Escalade would have been -- I thought -- the Sequoia, but this latest generation vehicle was obviously a missed opportunity, in size, and suspension and drivetrain.
I am well aware that the Escalade is BOF. I’m saying that there are 2 paths: BOF huge SUV or large unibody SUV. The LX is too small to compete with the Escalade (where the large size hides some of the BOF sins) and is space inefficient compare to similarly sized German SUVs due to being hamstrung by BOF and SRA.

A Sequoia based LX could compete with the Escalade if they had a body that was longer. It is undersized versus the SWB Escalade and doesn’t have a LWB version at all. SRA definitely would put it at a disadvantage BUT Escalade was SRA up until the most recent generation. There could be space for a SRA luxury BOF SUV for the people that tow.

It doesn’t know what it is and honestly needs to pick a lane. It occupies a weird space that only the Middle East market values.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Which is why I believe the "Land Cruiser Se" EV concept will actually be a GA-L based large SUV with similar dimensions to the Range Rover and a Lexus twin. That will replace the LS as the flagship while the LS turns into a EV flagship as previewed by LF-ZL.

Falcon

Fan
Reactions
Disagree. The Century makes a lot of sense to be driven in, so it could replace the Ultra Luxury trim, but it would be a bad fit for the rest of the LX market.
They can both co-exist like the Maybach GLS & G-Class. The Century offers a bespoke ordering process unlike anything within the Toyota ecosystem.
Which is why I believe the "Land Cruiser Se" EV concept will actually be a GA-L based large SUV with similar dimensions to the Range Rover and a Lexus twin. That will replace the LS as the flagship while the LS turns into a EV flagship as previewed by LF-ZL.
Well the chief engineer DID confirm it'll most likely ride on some form of GA-L instead of their new giga casted architecture. Whether they spawn an ICE/HEV variant or not is another matter.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Disagree. The Century makes a lot of sense to be driven in, so it could replace the Ultra Luxury trim, but it would be a bad fit for the rest of the LX market.

It's pretty clearly targeting the Cullinan "drive it yourself too" market too, I still see the LX evolving into something more luxury oriented.