2nd Generation Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ Thread (3cyl GR 86 Coming?)

supra93

Expert
Reactions
This was the largest photo I could find from the cover.

rebymYW.jpg

supra93

Expert
Reactions
The media is reporting this a face lift (for a car that ends production this month), but a little birdie told me it's the test mule for the GR86.

From Oct. 2019

SubaruBRZ16081.KGP_.jpg

SubaruBRZ16085.KGP_.jpg

SubaruBRZ16088.KGP_.jpg

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
I've been thinking... We currently know from Toyota own words that it's called 86 because currently bore, stroke and exhaust sizing are all 86mm. Then, if we keep reading a new 2.4L is coming, it will know longer have 86mm for bore and stroke, then, what can we say about GR86 trademark?

Maybe, it's just a GR variant of the current Toyota 86:

I'm not saying a 2nd "86" isn't coming because we have some degree of confirmation from Toyota and Subaru officials, but we may be hyping a bit too much over the GR86 trademark...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I've been thinking... We currently know from Toyota own words that it's called 86 because currently bore, stroke and exhaust sizing are all 86mm. Then, if we keep reading a new 2.4L is coming, it will know longer have 86mm for bore and stroke, then, what can we say about GR86 trademark?

Maybe, it's just a GR variant of the current Toyota 86:

I'm not saying a 2nd "86" isn't coming because we have some degree of confirmation from Toyota and Subaru officials, but we may be hyping a bit too much over the GR86 trademark...
The origin of the 86 name for the current coupe is actually as a homage to the AE86 Corolla coupes of the 1980s that arguably spanned the drifting craze in Japan. The 86mm bore x 86mm stroke of the 2-liter flat four is either a handy coincidence or a deliberate decision that further plays into the "86" heritage. As the 86/BRZ 2-liter FA20 flat four grew into the 2.4-liter FA24 (currently in Subaru Ascent, Legacy and Outback) its bore grew to 94mm while the stroke remained at 86mm. And the exhaust will surely remain at 86mm as well.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I hope this new naturally aspirated FA24 has a really decent performance improvement over the FA20, also be smoother and sound better than the FA20. The rendering looks very good👌.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141246&page=10

14stu said:
So, I'm an instructor at our local track and the track manager is a friend of mine. He told me that Toyota (this is the closest track to their US headquarters) is doing some marketing type stuff at the track in the very near future and that he knows the test driver for the next 86 (he's friends with Randy Pobst, and was a test/development driver for Cadillac back when they were doing the first CTS V).

Toyota is hosting a tech tour at the track on Saturday (it's for the Supra though) and I plan on trying to find out if they have any info on the new 86. My friend couldn't outright tell me anything, but with a wink and a nod he let me know that the new 86 will be at the track doing a photo/video shoot in the next couple of weeks (could have happened as early as this week). I didn't press him for too much info since he was giving me as much as he was allowed to without violating any NDA's.

I've got a few member day passes, I'll let him know that I want to use one on the day Toyota will be there (or just find out more details). He made it sound like the car is pretty much ready to be announced/unveiled and they are just waiting for the proper timing. It seems too late for a 2021, but I would be surprised if the new 86 isn't a 2022 model.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
More from 14stu:
I'm signed up for the Supra technical showcase at the track tomorrow and I'll share any info I find out there.

#Tcoat is absolutely right that this is second hand info, and I was hesitant to share anything since it's all unsubstantiated; however, my buddy got me excited with his insider info (he has no reason to string me along with any false info and offered it because I'm known as an 86 advocate).

You have no reason to take my info as gospel, and all I know for sure is that the "new" 86 will be at the track very soon for some sort of media/advertising event that I might be able to "incidentally" be at the track for. My friend specifically mentioned an increase in power and that the test driver was very happy with the new car but didn't offer or respond to my probing for any specifics. He neither confirmed nor denied the 2.4L motor when I brought it up.

That's all I've got atm, I'll update whenever I find out more. All this is presented in good faith, make of it what you will.

Reactions

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What do BMC and FMC mean?

And Subaru Wilderness is new. What will it be?

Will1991

Reactions
Is the Subaru BEV the SUV co-developed with Toyota on eTNGA dedicated BEV platform?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What do BMC and FMC mean?

And Subaru Wilderness is new. What will it be?

FMC = full model change
I think "BMC" = refresh, but I don't know what the acronym would stand for. Basic model change?

I assume Wilderness is some new off road trim - all the rage!