2025 Mercedes-Benz GELÄNDEWAGEN 550 and G 63

Motor

Expert
Reactions

New OFFROAD COCKPIT

The redesigned off-road control unit takes drivers directly to the new OFFROAD COCKPIT. This provides an overview of the most relevant information for off-road driving in both the driver and central multimedia displays. This includes vehicle positioning, compass, altitude, steering angle, tire pressure and temperature, as well as the status of the differential locks. Content is displayed in various tiles, which can be changed using the direction arrows or by swiping. There are also buttons for quick access to vehicle functions relevant to
off-road driving.

The all-new Mercedes-Benz G 550 is powered by a 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine with turbocharging via an exhaust gas turbocharger and an electric auxiliary compressor, delivering 443 hp and 413 lb-ft of torque. A 48-volt integrated starter generator (ISG) provides support at lower engine speeds with an additional 20 hp and 148 lb-ft.

Electrified – Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine

The new AMG G 63 is powered by the proven Handcrafted AMG 4.0L V8 biturbo engine, producing 577 hp and 627 lb-ft of torque. The hand-built engine is electrified with a 48-volt on-board electrical system and an integrated starter generator (ISG), which provides support at lower engine speeds with an additional 20 hp and 148 lb-ft. From a standstill, the AMG G 63 accelerates to 60 mph in just 4.2 seconds, on the way to an electronically limited 137 mph top speed.

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Dropping the V8 for a v6 seems to be a downgrade. The G wagon owners i know are trading their lightly used ones in so they can get higher on the allocation list for the all electric G.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not a fan of newer MB interiors with super-sized screens -- not just MB though, I don't love the screen trend in general.

I wouldn't give up the V8 for an I6 either, so overall, not much that's interesting to me in this update.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If I were MB and serious about offroad capability I would start with fixing the fragile shock absorbers first. But MB knows its customers well.

Couldn't care less about an all show no substance product.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm not a fan of newer MB interiors with super-sized screens -- not just MB though, I don't love the screen trend in general.

I wouldn't give up the V8 for an I6 either, so overall, not much that's interesting to me in this update.
Six Cylinder G class is crazy

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Inline-six. Huge difference. A smooth inline-six would be perfect for the mall-crawler levels.
Inline-6 engines have traditionally been the go-to option for work trucks. The G-Class professional and LC70 have traditionally used I6 petrol and diesel engines. They are much more reliable and cheaper to maintain than V8s.

V8s only became popular because by late 90s they've reached the limit of naturally aspirated I6. 4.5L is practically the largest displacement an I6 can get in a light duty vehicle. But with forced induction there is not much reason keeping V8s.

It really annoys me that Toyota went through all the trouble to develop a 60-degree petrol V6 and a 90-degree diesel V6 with very complicated turbocharger setups when they could simplify it into an I6 single- or twin-turbo design.

Last edited:

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
Inline-6 engines have traditionally been the go-to option for work trucks. The G-Class professional and LC70 have traditionally used I6 petrol and diesel engines. They are much more reliable and cheaper to maintain than V8s.

V8s only became popular because by late 90s they've reached the limit of naturally aspirated I6. 4.5L is practically the largest displacement an I6 can get in a light duty vehicle. But with forced induction there is not much reason keeping V8s.

It really annoys me that Toyota went through all the trouble to develop a 60-degree petrol V6 and a 90-degree diesel V6 with very complicated turbocharger setups when they could simplify it into an I6 single- or twin-turbo design.
why did they go to the v6 over the i6?

In Europe for instance Toyota had issues with diesel engine development so they started sourcing them from BMW. Then the B58 was a better fit for them since they had issues with hi po force induction development.

Reactions

Very true, and I agree with you. My point is just that a lot of the G550 guys probably won't be off-roading or doing anything remotely relating to performance. It should be a good sell.

mikeavelli

Reactions
G63 is still one of the most in demand vehicles after 5 years. Good luck getting one.

The G550 losing the V-8 will likely piss off NEW purists but the G wagon has offered I-4/5/ V-6 etc for decades. V-8 came along I think in 1993 or so. As with all things not shocked it lost the V-8 for hybrid 6.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
G63 is still one of the most in demand vehicles after 5 years. Good luck getting one.

The G550 losing the V-8 will likely piss off NEW purists but the G wagon has offered I-4/5/ V-6 etc for decades. V-8 came along I think in 1993 or so. As with all things not shocked it lost the V-8 for hybrid 6.

I mean they're new at like $185k USD, but there's a couple hundred of lightly used ones around at around that price or a bit higher where i'm at.

It seems like they just sit around forever instead of reducing the price to move.

Knowing my luck i'll buy one and then the prices will tank

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
I mean they're new at like $185k USD, but there's a couple hundred of lightly used ones around at around that price or a bit higher where i'm at.

It seems like they just sit around forever instead of reducing the price to move.

Knowing my luck i'll buy one and then the prices will tank
If you have a facebook account, there are some car clubs (example WCC) that have motivated dealers offloading g63s. Of course you have to be open to config, which at the msrp of these runs contrary to the purpose of owning these beasts, but hey a g63 is a g63....?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think non digital dash g63s are in less demand so less mark up. It just is meh lol.

With V-8s dying every day the value will continue to hold