Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm reading lots of praise for the driving dynamics and handling, as well as interior quality and materials. Seems everyone says the TX 350 has sufficient power, which is great to hear.

Also seeing a lot of "this really feels like a tried and true Lexus product" mentions which makes me happy... the Grand Highlander is a great starting place in itself, to be fair.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
I'm reading lots of praise for the driving dynamics and handling, as well as interior quality and materials. Seems everyone says the TX 350 has sufficient power, which is great to hear.

Also seeing a lot of "this really feels like a tried and true Lexus product" mentions which makes me happy... the Grand Highlander is a great starting place in itself, to be fair.
And so far no reviewer has been disappointed with the TX.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Interesting that Edmunds liked the hybrid powertrain the best and liked the V6 the least due to it feeling unrefined. Their choice overall was the TX 350 because it felt more mission focused (smooth, spacious, and best value proposition).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^Motor Trend came to a similar conclusion with the TX 350 being the best overall, though they recommended skipping the 500h and going straight to the 550h+.

Something for everyone I guess...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Wild to me… the 500/550 are significantly faster and the direct 4 awd makes them much more fun than the normal awd 350 to me. 500 has rear steer and moves for such a big vehicle..

Weird flex lol

Levi

Expert
Reactions
As a Toyota fan and conspiracy theorist, they (“independent” car media) got to say Lexus fast cars are worse than slow cars, so as not to attract buyers that left Lexus only because of low power.

Reactions
Wild to me… the 500/550 are significantly faster and the direct 4 awd makes them much more fun than the normal awd 350 to me. 500 has rear steer and moves for such a big vehicle..

Weird flex lol
Would have liked to see a normal v6 hybrid. The added weight of the plug-in renders it way too compromised in multiple ways. Also having an f sport is absolutely pointless. Nobody wants a sporty SUV at this size. The RX makes sense but not the TX. The TX is significantly bigger and thus more compromised compared to the likes of the MDX Type S. Drop the useless hybrid max system in favor of a hybrid v6. it should have been hybrid 4, phev 4, hybrid 6, phev 6.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 500h has a very small capacity battery for the size of the vehicle and it being a parallel hybrid means the hybrid system becomes dead weight the moment it runs out of energy. Unlike a PS hybrid where you still get similar fuel economy just less power.

My only experience with a 500h happens to be with a depleted battery and it indeed feels pointless to upgrade over a 350 for vast majority of the time. You may not feel the limitations of it driving alone, but with 6 passengers, full cargo and towing a trailer, the 500h is nothing but dead weight.

The tiny Aqua has a 1.0 kWh battery. The TX has 2.5x the GVM. It needs at least 2.5kWh to be somewhat usable. It has only 1.4kWh. A Camry hybrid has more than that. Lately Toyota has been very stingy with hybrid battery capacity. I guess that's the price to pay when they have to dedicate more production capacity to PHEVs.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The engine itself is capable of 275hp. It takes probably 40hp or so to push a TX at highway speeds down a flat road. As long as you aren't spending all of your time pulling long steep grades fully loaded at high speeds, the engine itself should have plenty of capacity to maintain speed in almost all driving conditions and keeping the battery at a state of charge where it can perform the random acceleration that would be requested by someone driving a 2.5 ton crossover. We aren't talking about a vehicle that is driven at the track where it is using every bit of power to accelerate from corner to corner and only has the ability to top up the battery in braking / coasting zones.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Would have liked to see a normal v6 hybrid. The added weight of the plug-in renders it way too compromised in multiple ways. Also having an f sport is absolutely pointless. Nobody wants a sporty SUV at this size. The RX makes sense but not the TX. The TX is significantly bigger and thus more compromised compared to the likes of the MDX Type S. Drop the useless hybrid max system in favor of a hybrid v6. it should have been hybrid 4, phev 4, hybrid 6, phev 6.

Much rather a plug in. To be able to drive around town without needing gas and still having the engine when I need it is amazing. We don’t pay for charging at our office. Wife drives 4-5 miles most days. Makes a ton of sense based on how we drive.

Have you driven or read mdx type a reviews? I know Acura likes to pawn off its some amazing sporty suvs but it’s merely okay and imo doesn’t drive any sportier than the TX, It’s lost to the RX 500h in reviews. It’s also woefully inefficient.

I am an anomaly with a LX 600 F Sport. Many think it’s silly. I put the LSD to good use 🤣. The TX 500h FSP runs circles around it. It is extremely capable and quite fun when you want it to be. Drives smaller than it is. Will most push it like me? Nope. But the LC or IS 500 or RC F etc person now can stick with a large Lexus SUV that won’t completely bore them to death

mikeavelli

Reactions
The engine itself is capable of 275hp. It takes probably 40hp or so to push a TX at highway speeds down a flat road. As long as you aren't spending all of your time pulling long steep grades fully loaded at high speeds, the engine itself should have plenty of capacity to maintain speed in almost all driving conditions and keeping the battery at a state of charge where it can perform the random acceleration that would be requested by someone driving a 2.5 ton crossover. We aren't talking about a vehicle that is driven at the track where it is using every bit of power to accelerate from corner to corner and only has the ability to top up the battery in braking / coasting zones.

Exactly. I’ve driven the 350 and it’s more than adequate. It’s not a slug. Obviously not fun but that’s not what it’s for. The I-4 lost 20hp to the V-6 but gained what 40lbs of torque? Honda debuts a brand new V-6 that makes 5 whole more hp. It’s been a full second slower to 60 mph.

Will1991

Reactions

Loving those wheels!

maxresdefault.jpg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Will1991

Reactions
So of the LF-1, all that went to production are the wheels?

Most of the design features trickled down to the range:

- Interior layout become Tazuna

- Front headlight concept with the reversed “L”

- Rear headlight going from one side to the other

- The wheels now on the TX

- The “beluga” spindle grille

- A divided rear spoiler similar to the one on the RZ

Maybe it was just a design concept…