krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2023-03-12-lexus-rz-hero-shot.jpg

Lexus is entering the battery-electric race in North America with the RZ 450e, an all-new model built on the brand’s first dedicated BEV platform. The mid-size crossover occupies an interesting place in the lineup, with a overall size most similar to the compact NX crossover but a wheelbase closer to the mid-size RX crossover.
Lexus Enthusiast was invited by Lexus USA to tour the French countryside outside of Aix-en-Provence in the new RZ, and our coverage starts with a broad technical overview.
Platform
The RZ is built on the e-TNGA platform alongside its sister vehicle, the Toyota BZ-4X. This is Toyota’s first dedicated Battery-Electric Vehicle platform, and allows engineers to take advantage of BEV characteristics — the RZ is able to have a lower center of gravity and stiffer structure compared to other Lexus vehicles due to the weight and shape of the battery pack under the cabin...

Continue reading...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Can't wait for an in-depth tear down and reveals why its efficiency is so bad. The reduction ratio can't be the only factor.

0-60 in less than 5s with such low power-to-weight ratio suggests the reduction ratio is way overkill at 13.478. Would be better to have 20% longer ratios and close to 6s acceleration time for longer range.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Can't wait for an in-depth tear down and reveals why its efficiency is so bad. The reduction ratio can't be the only factor.

0-60 in less than 5s with such low power-to-weight ratio suggests the reduction ratio is way overkill at 13.478. Would be better to have 20% longer ratios and close to 6s acceleration time for longer range.
Lexus IS 300h is criticized for being to slow for 220 PS. In this case Lexus chose efficiency over acceleration. Can't have have both, got to choose. Either way there always will be complaints.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Lexus IS 300h is criticized for being to slow for 220 PS. In this case Lexus chose efficiency over acceleration. Can't have have both, got to choose. Either way there always will be complaints.
I guess this is where the Taycan's two-gear transmission shines haha.

But like you, I think I'd prefer better performance over range. I'm not buying an EV to go cross-country driving anyway.