Rydo

Follower
Reactions
UK Press Release for 2020 LC

Unbeknown to me until a couple of months ago, Lexus didn’t actually bother to offer the last revision in the U.K...meaning that until 2 days ago, Lexus’ £90k flagship coupe didn’t have Apple CarPlay. Absolutely mind boggling. That’s why the press release mentions both that and Android Auto as new features.

There’s only one small problem with these little tweaks and upgrades, someone like me looking for a nice used prospect now has a headache of finding the update models whilst browsing 😂

Will1991

Reactions
@Rydo , the best part is that any LC, in any color, looks stunning.
Believe me, I’ve looked for it, even pink looks good 😜

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
I am glad that I bought the 2019 LC 500 early last year instead of waiting for the 2020 LC 500 to offer Android Auto, which the 2020 never did.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
2021 add more tech, performance and styling! That’s sound great, I am happy about that!
Yeah! Finally! Haha I have already waited for Lexus to introduce an all-new LX and an all-new V8-powered LS for years, so I was already tired of waiting when I got the LC 500. The LC 500 is awesome enough to forgo Android Auto. Hahaha

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I hope to god all of this word salad means that they've shortened the gearing. Having the long gears made this car sluggish.
I said in the other thread that the LS500 does not suffer from the 10AT's gearing. The LC500 certainly does.

6 gears to cover 0-260km/h just isn't close enough for such a high-revving NA engine. What also makes it worse is the really low redline (just 200rpm above peak power) which makes the 2UR drop out of the power band after shifting. The LC500 should have similar ratios as the 10-spd multi-stage with a constant 1.25:1 inter-gear ratio covering 0-260km/h in 8 gears. Although which much higher power it should have longer final drive to make it 0-260km/h in 7 gears. It would also make every shift sound consistent with that perfectly uniform gearing (though on the hybrid it just sounds weird). However we know this long gearing with 4 ODs is a conscious choice to make the LC500 a comfortable cruiser at any highway speed and it certainly is.

The multi-stage gearing is just way too crazy. The first stage has massive torque magnification making a 2-ton car wheel-spin up to 80km/h with just 354hp is unheard of. 4 gears to 100km/h is even shorter than rally cars!

Last edited:
Reactions
Yeah! Finally! Haha I have already waited for Lexus to introduce an all-new LX and an all-new V8-powered LS for years, so I was already tired of waiting when I got the LC 500. The LC 500 is awesome enough to forgo Android Auto. Hahaha
Yeah, sound a good thing with the updates.
LC500h can make
Naturally aspirated with hybrid and twin turbo hybrid v6.
LC500 naturally aspirated v8
LC-F Twin Turbo v8

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Embarassing isn’t it? You can spec it in £15k Nissans for crying out loud.

Would do nothing for weight, but since everyone is now at ease LC is a GT and not a sports car, why don’t they put in some of that lovely LS Shiatsu massage gubbins? That would make it on par with S Class Coupés features and I’m sure the others.

The lack of side and front cameras is a terrible omission. Our RX had it. And with the low and long front it’s needed.

One thing I really want.

Reactions
Let's hope Lexus doesn't forget about its existing customers and allows an Android Auto retrofit to older LC models (just like they did with Apple Car Play).

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Let's hope Lexus doesn't forget about its existing customers and allows an Android Auto retrofit to older LC models (just like they did with Apple Car Play).

sadly this doesn’t appear to be possible. The new unit is different according to a Facebook group post with photo evidence of an internal document. So the firmware will run on the latest unit only.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
sadly this doesn’t appear to be possible. The new unit is different according to a Facebook group post with photo evidence of an internal document. So the firmware will run on the latest unit only.

This really shouldn't still be an issue. Is standardization/compatibility that challenging in cars vs everything else?

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
This really shouldn't still be an issue. Is standardization/compatibility that challenging in cars vs everything else?
Tell me about it. Savagegeese absolutely loathes in car technology for this exact reason. Carmakers make no commitment at all to future proof this stuff with updates and most of it is obsolete just 2 years into the car with zero firmware changes for the rest of time. I was seeing some Mercedes owners recently with 2016s tell them that their online Mercedes functionality was no obsolete...the thing is 4 years old. Beyond the lease period, these automakers couldn’t give a poop. It’s about the only thing I even remotely like about Tesla, the car is like an iPhone with frequent updates and fixes. Not this frozen in time hardware dependent garbage.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It’s about the only thing I even remotely like about Tesla, the car is like an iPhone with frequent updates and fixes. Not this frozen in time hardware dependent garbage.

Even then there are limits. Tesla's had 2 completely different infotainment platforms (NVIDIA and then Intel) and 4 different autopilot hardware platforms. But to their credit, they try and keep the user-visible differences down.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I don't need the convertible.

I don't need it.

edit: especially not in white with tan interior

edit: ohhhh structural blue ohhhhh you don't want that one with a white interior. not at allllll noooooo

edit: oh god they color coordinated everything

A structural blue model is US$150,000 or over C$200,000. Base model is US$130,000, C$170,000.
These guys are in some seriously competitive waters at these prices.

Last edited: