2021 (Canadian) Camry SE Driving Impression

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The members of LE know that I drive an ES Hybrid and that I have sworn that I will only drive hybrid-electric or battery-electric vehicles from now on. I have driven non-electrified vehicles in the past seven years since I started driving my ES, but they were short-term rentals during vacation or business trips (none of which were Toyota or Lexus vehicles), and one-day loaners while my car was in for service; they have not been daily drivers.

But now, because my ES is in the shop, I have a rental car, a 2021 Camry SE, as a daily driver. I have had it a week now, enough time to give me some good impressions of the Camry as a day-to-day vehicle.

My 2015 ES and the Camry are natural comparisons. My ES is powered by the electrified version of the 2.5-litre 2AR 4-cylinder engine; the 2020 Camry is powered by the non-electrified 2.5-litre A25A-FKS 4-cylinder, the replacement for the 2AR-FE engine. I have wanted to drive a vehicle with this engine, preferably the Camry.

My first impression upon picking up the Camry earlier this week was that it has a key, a real, honest-to-goodness ignition key. I was surprised. It has a spring-loaded switchblade-type key blade that retracts into the fob, which makes the fob thicker and heavier than the keyless fob of my ES. Members here know of my dislike of the keyless lock and ignition system but I have not yet decided if I like this key. I think I prefer the old-style, non-retractable key with the transmitter built into the key head.

My second impression was not surprising but frustrating nevertheless. This Camry SE has a gloomy, dour, all-black interior that gives a low-quality feeling. I wish that automotive brands selling in Canada would offer more interior colours than black; mass-market cars used to offer more choices for interior colours, but in the past few years, the only choice -- unless you are willing to pay more for a higher (or highest) trim level -- is black.

One other surprise is how unrefined the power windows are. The switches, despite the presence of the one-touch up-down feature like in my ES, do not operate smoothly. When activated, the window quickly shoots up or down, and does not slow upon reaching full-up or -down (like the window will crash into its stop).

Something else I have found is that there is no way to switch radio stations without going through a multi-step process of first selecting the Audio screen on the infotainment display and then searching for the station preset I had earlier programmed in. (At least I have not yet found a way to do it with the push-button controls on the steering wheel.) Has anyone found an easier way to switch radio stations? Having to use the infotainment screen takes my eyes off the road for a moment, a moment that could mean being hit by some idiot speeding out of a sidestreet.

But I want to concentrate on how the non-hybrid Camry drives, compared to my ES Hybrid.

At first start of the engine, with the windows open (or standing outside the car), it sounds rather rough. It is not a particularly refined-sounding engine at idle.

At part-throttle, slowly and steadily accelerating away from a stop, the powertrain is smooth and the frequent shifts of the 8-speed transmission barely noticeable; but at full throttle, either from a stop or at slow speed, the throttle hesitates and the transmission has to shift, and then the upshifts as I continue to accelerate are noticeable, with a noticeable hesitation in the engine and the acceleration, at each shift.

This is so very different from my Hybrid, which has maximum torque available immediately and provides turbine-like smoothness with no gearshifts, and no drops in RPM and torque delivery that come with each shift. Accelerating from a slow speed or a stop is so much smoother and nicer in my Hybrid.

Aside from the driveability of the non-hybrid powertrain compared to a hybrid powertrain, the A25A engine in the Camry is also loud. No, it is not loud as an old Honda Civic is loud, but it has a low-frequency bass drone while driving that is not only heard but felt also. At times (if I let off the throttle a bit), the engine also feels like it is working against engine braking, the feeling you get when you downshift, the car slows, and the engine gets loud and rough.

Steady-speed driving, however, as I said earlier, is smooth and relatively quiet. I am assuming that steady-state high speed driving (I have not yet taken it out on the highway) would also be relatively smooth and quiet.

The ride of the new GA-K platform and multilink rear suspension in the newer Camry, however, is better than the MacPherson strut rear suspension in my older ES. The Camry SE does not feel sporty -- it rides a bit soft (but then I do not know how the Camry without the sport-tuned suspension of the SE rides) -- but it does handle imperfections on the road like rough pavement and off-level manhole covers much better than my ES. I knew this from the 2019 ES 350 loaner I drove a few weeks ago. The new, stiffer platform and more-sophisticated rear suspension are great improvements for Toyota's mid-size cars.

I also found the driver seat more comfortable than in my ES, due to the greater powered adjustability of the seat. I can adjust the seat quite high, which I like, giving me a better sense of control of the vehicle; I am not short but I hate the sitting-in-a-bathtub feeling and the lower beltline (taller greenhouse) of this Camry also helps. I can also adjust the height of the front of the seat cushion with greater independence from the height of the rear of the seat cushion; this gives me great thigh support even at higher seat heights. (In my ES, the rear of the seat cushion can only go so high before it prevents the front of the seat cushion from going higher, so I have the (bad) choice of sitting high up but with no thigh support, or having some bit of thigh support but limiting how high I can adjust the seat cushion.)

So, what is the bottom line? Could I get used to driving a Camry as my daily driver?

I like the new platform and more sophisticated rear suspension. I would want to drive the Camry Hybrid, however. Driving this 4-cylinder, non-electrified Camry has proven to me that I want to drive an electrified vehicle, either a hybrid-electric, or a plug-in hybrid or full electric vehicle; I am finding it difficult to return to a car with a traditional powertrain. I want the refined, turbine-like smoothness of an electrified vehicle.

I would also seriously consider paying more to get a brighter, seemingly higher-quality interior. The black (SofTex) interior is gloomy, dour and gives the impression of low-rent, low-quality surroundings that will heat up too quickly under the summer sun. That would mean paying for features that I may not need or want, but I may have to bite the bullet, just to get a brighter interior.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Camry is actually one of the smoother car in its class. The A25A-FKS has the best NVH and overall driveability. The problem as you said is most ICEVs feel rough and unrefined once you get used to hybrids.

How's your experience with fuel economy. I drove the same car for about 800km and averaged 5.7L/100km or 41MPG. On highway it's almost as efficient as the older generation ES300h and only 1L more than the current generation I drive.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Hybrid is the way to go if you want a Camry, IMO. I'll tell Rav4 and Highlander buyers the same thing. At this point, the only Toyota hybrid I won't recommend over the conventional is the Corolla.

Reactions
Hybrid is the way to go if you want a Camry, IMO. I'll tell Rav4 and Highlander buyers the same thing. At this point, the only Toyota hybrid I won't recommend over the conventional is the Corolla.

I actually love the Corolla Hybrid because it's the Prius with a truly handsome exterior.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I actually love the Corolla Hybrid because it's the Prius with a truly handsome exterior.
I really don't care for the ZR derived hybrids. Buzzy and weak. I have the M20A w/ 6MT in my daily (Corolla hatchback). It is, by no means, a hot hatch, but it is a fun little daily driver. I'd have strongly considered a Corolla hybrid if it was the M20A hybrid like the UX 250h. 121hp is simply not enough in the mountains where I drive.

Reactions
I really don't care for the ZR derived hybrids. Buzzy and weak. I have the M20A w/ 6MT in my daily (Corolla hatchback). It is, by no means, a hot hatch, but it is a fun little daily driver. I'd have strongly considered a Corolla hybrid if it was the M20A hybrid like the UX 250h. 121hp is simply not enough in the mountains where I drive.

Ah, well I mainly use it for around town and the torque from the electric motors have more than enough pep to drive quickly but I will agree that it is a relatively slow car in the grand scheme of things.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Excellent review, Sulu. I'm not a big fan of the push-button ignition, either....it can make it difficult to tell, what mode the ignition is in a glance, and to find the accessory position.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Here is an update.

My 2015 ES 300h could not be repaired so I received an insurance settlement and have -- only now -- replaced it with a 2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE. A perfect storm of circumstances delayed the arrival of my new car; pandemic supply problems meant that I signed for a new car, sight-unseen in October and waited 2 months for it to be delivered; I picked it up 2 weeks ago. In the intervening period, my wife and I shared her 2013 Honda Accord.

The new car is white with a black interior, 2 of my least favourite colours. I still find the interior “gloomy, dour, …that gives a low-quality feeling”. Where the black interior is good at hiding everything, especially bad build quality, the white exterior is good at showing everything, especially minor dirt; it also highlights the aggressive styling of the Camry SE trim, which the black rental Camry SE I had hid (to an extent) due to its colour.

I am happy, however, to report that the Hybrid powertrain is very smooth, refined and (relatively) quiet. A few days after I picked it up, I had visiting relatives in the car. They complimented the very smooth and quiet car. The 2.5-litre A25A engine, I find, is not the most refined engine (similar to my experience in the rental Camry), with a low-frequency bass drone, but it is refined by the electric motors.

I am impressed by this new Hybrid powertrain, which I find to be even smoother and more refined than the Hybrid powertrain in my old Lexus ES 300h Hybrid. Acceleration from a stop is very smooth; transition from EV mode (where the gasoline engine is off and only the electric motor drives the vehicle) to Hybrid mode (where the gasoline engine switches on) is much smoother than my old car, imperceptible unless you are waiting for it. And it takes much less effort to keep the car in EV mode; in my old ESh, I had to be very deliberate – very easy and particularly light on the throttle – to keep it in EV mode, but I don’t have to be that deliberate in my new Camry Hybrid.

I am still impressed by the ride. The ride provided by the more sophisticated multilink rear suspension in the newer Camry with its stiffer GA-K platform, is much better than the MacPherson strut rear suspension on the older platform of my ES. The new Camry handles minor road imperfections much better than my older ES and also better than the supposedly sporty 2013 Honda Accord that my wife drives. On a short section of road that I drive over every day, where the asphalt is wavy, the Camry handles it in stride whereas the older ES and Accord rock back and forth.

I am not impressed, however, by the space efficiency of the GA-K platform. Despite a similar footprint (the 2022 Camry is the same length, has slightly longer wheelbase and is slightly wider than the 2015 ES), the Camry has narrower front footwells, less rear legroom and has a shallower trunk than the ES. Where did the space go? I am thinking that the space was lost to allow for more stuff to be tucked up under the floor (of the cabin and the trunk) allowing for a flat and aerodynamic underbody.

I am glad that I chose a Hybrid model over the regular Camry. The rental Camry SE that I drove was such a different car than my old Lexus ES Hybrid but this new Camry Hybrid SE (which is, really, a SE Plus trim, with more features, such as push-button start, larger, better infotainment screen and blind-spot monitoring compared the base Camry SE) is much closer to my ES.

I will keep this Camry for a few years, hoping that Lexus decides to bring out an ES Plug-in Hybrid (I am not sure that I am ready yet for a ES EV due to the lack of recharging infrastructure here in Ontario, especially along the province-spanning expressways). An ES PHEV should allow me to drive strictly in EV mode in the city (I would seriously consider installing a home charger) while still driving in fuel-saving Hybrid mode on the expressways.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Glad you are enjoying it! The ride quality, balance, handling and power delivery of the Camry hybrid are pretty close to luxury car status, if you ask me. We love our XSE V6 and were 50/50 on getting the hybrid instead - the V6 was just available sooner.

Congrats -- and post some pics if you can!

Reactions
If you don't like the white with black interior, why didn't you go for a different color combo or trim level Hybrid? I guess because of the circumstances, you had to settle for something at the current moment, until you trade the Camry in. I had seat time in a 2020 Camry SE rental, as well as a 2022 Camry XSE that I rented off of Turo. Both cars for me are better than any Camrys I've driven and/or owned in the past. I guess I like sportier suspensions and what not, so it caters more to the youths...

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
If you don't like the white with black interior, why didn't you go for a different color combo or trim level Hybrid? I guess because of the circumstances, you had to settle for something at the current moment, until you trade the Camry in.
"Beggars can't be choosers."

Other than the fact that my new car is a Camry Hybrid (the model I wanted), I really had no choice when it came to the trim level and exterior colour (for interior colour, unfortunately the only choice available in Canada is black for LE and SE trim levels).

When I first started shopping for a new car in early October, dealers' inventories of all 2021 Camry models were already extremely low to non-existent; 2022 models had not yet arrived and would not be delivered until late-November or early-December due to supply problems.

One dealer I talked to was willing to search across the province for any available Camry Hybrid and trade for it; they found one but by the time they tried to contact the sales manager, it had already been sold. Remaining 2021 inventory was going fast due to the supply problems.

Another dealer told me that all 2022 Camry models were already pre-sold before delivery. So I had to find a dealer with an unsold 2022 Camry Hybrid. That dealer sold me the white 2022 Camry Hybrid SE (with the no-other-choice black interior) that it knew was being delivered in early-December.

I had seat time in a 2020 Camry SE rental, as well as a 2022 Camry XSE that I rented off of Turo. Both cars for me are better than any Camrys I've driven and/or owned in the past. I guess I like sportier suspensions and what not, so it caters more to the youths...
I have owned and driven many Camrys (all but one generation) and I found them all to be very comfortable long-distance high-speed expressway cruisers, despite that they were all criticized by car mag enthusiasts as being "not sporty". I have no doubt that my new Hybrid SE will also be a comfortable high-speed, long-distance cruiser (helped by the comfortable, more-supportive seat); it may be sportier than previous Camrys but I would not consider it "sporty".