2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 & 580

mikeavelli

Reactions
18C1071_195-1280x720.jpg

Really well done, slightly larger and both engines have a small electric hybrid system.

This is now the third generation and I thought the X7 would get some breathing room at launch but that ain't gonna happen lol.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mer...020/2020-mercedes-benz-gls-first-look-review/

2020-Mercedes-Benz-GLS-26.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Mercedes has some interiors I really like - like GLC and C class - but some I can't stand, and strangely, it's generally their flagship cars I dislike so much. The S Class's column mounted shifter reminds me of a Crown Vic, and the shape of the steering wheel + circular vents has never really worked for me. Mercedes talked a lot about this new GLS finally being the "S Class of SUVs," and I just don't get that vibe.

GL/GLS has always looked like a big Highlander with nicer details, so the exterior design is nice but not particularly imposing or elegant. It's fairly basic, in my eyes. Mercedes design was great with the S Class, C and GLC, but now E, GLS, GLE and CLS are all looking too much alike with no real differentiation aside from size. Not my favorite.

On top of that, this layered dash with a large tablet that looks to be sitting on top of HVAC vents gives me vibes that are equal parts "Starship" and "unfinished integration." The other details look nice though. Mercedes is a big fan of just dropping framed screens in different places and it never looks well integrated or polished, IMO. Lexus does a much nicer job with integration on vehicles like LS, LC, LX and even ES. Even RX seems better integrated.

Another thing I'm seeing more often and don't understand: grab handles integrated into the transmission tunnel or dashboard. Why? What purpose does this serve? It seems like a completely unnecessary design cue that would only get in the way. Porsche has it, as does the LC.

Engines are great, as always with Mercedes.

I feel like this is 6.5/10 for me. It gets the job done, but it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that a Mercedes flagship vehicle should.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Even as old as it is, LX570 would be my choice in this class without a second thought. This, nor the X7, really do anything for me.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I just heard about this thread now and got excited because I was considering a G wagon but wanted more practicality and knew the current GLS was getting old. But I agree with Gecko here that it does not give off the feeling like a MB flagship should. Im much more impressed by the current GLS. Hopefully the new GLS's AMG sports or full AMG versions will be more expressive. It looks way too much like the AMG GT 4 Door Coupe, and that thing, IMO, looks depressed.

If it was the new GLS vs new X7, I'd say X7 takes the cake on presence alone.

Reactions: RAL

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I prefer the exterior on this to the X7, which is a bit too much, but @Gecko is totally right that all of M-B's recent redesigns are hard to differentiate from each other. And the interior's kind of all over the place. The dashboard is super wide, and they apparently chose to accentuate that. GM called from the late 80s/early 90s and wants that HVAC switchgear back. And while I understand the tunnel-mount "oh sh*t" handle for the passenger on the LC, having one for the driver in an SUV seems crazy. If some maneuver is happening where you want to grab those handles, the driver's hands should be firmly on the wheel.

Last edited: