2018 Subaru Ascent is a Tahoe-sized Forester

Reactions
While, yes, Subarus like that DO exist (as you note), that classic left-wing bumper-sticker image is more of a stereotype that of widespread reality. In my experience, from what I've seen, Subaru owners come from all walks of life and all different political views.
This just cracks me up
Wu5UYDH2_xinqqqw8LZa0poI0tPn_5HDlx8fOCuXayU.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That's true, but Subaru's own TV ads leaned into that stereotype pretty hard for a while. Now they're more pushing safety.

Yes, Subie ads lately with continued stereotyping showing doting parents and families. Predictably consistent with little information about the boring vehicles themselves.

Reactions
Again, stereotypes. Subaru owners are a LOT more than just outdoorsy, left-wing Yuppies.
How Subaru Became the Unofficial Car of Vermont
... and New Hampshire, and Maine, and Massachusetts, and Washington, and Oregon.

There are enduring stereotypes about certain automakers and the people who buy their products. Ferrari owners? Flashy, slightly greasy guys who wear sunglasses indoors. Tesla buyers? Silicon Valley tech insufferables.

And if you drive a Subaru, you're probably from New England or the Pacific Northwest.

It's an image that has hung with Subaru for decades—the practical car of choice for earthy, outdoorsy, environmentally-conscious types. College professors, say, or the type of rural folks who shun the notion of a pickup truck. The Japanese automaker has embraced its U.S. image with charitable contributions and feel-good involvement in the sorts of outreach that resonate with its presumed buyer. "Love: It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru," you've no doubt heard repeated on your local NPR station.

How did Subaru become the unofficial car of Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Washington and Oregon? It all has to do with a shrewd—some might say cynical—marketing decision made all the way back in 1971.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...-subaru-became-the-unofficial-car-of-vermont/

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tragic Bronson said:
"Love: It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru," you've no doubt heard repeated on your local NPR station.

That line is heard on a lot more than just NPR. I see it regularly on many different cable-TV channels....and magazine-ads.

Another quite popular line of Subaru marketing (though it was not mentioned in the article you posted) is that of the caring, doting father entrusting a new Subaru (or, in some cases, a used one) to his teen-age daughter as her first car.

(Consumer Reports, BTW, also backs that up...for a number of reasons, they highly recommend a number of Subaru models for teen-agers)

And if you drive a Subaru, you're probably from New England or the Pacific Northwest.

True to an extent, but they are also enormously popular here in the D.C. area where I live. Of course, with the money and affluence of this region, almost anything on four wheels sells.

Last edited:
Reactions
True to an extent, but they are also enormously popular here in the D.C. area where I live. Of course, with the money and affluence of this region, almost anything on four wheels sells.
Of course, Subaru became popular on a national scale, not just with the insert stereotypical groups anymore. Their message and audience is now very mainstream.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Of course, Subaru became popular on a national scale, not just with the insert stereotypical groups anymore. Their message and audience is now very mainstream.

Supposedly, Saabs and Subarus also once had a stereotype reputation as LGBT cars (a Subaru Service Manager himself once told me that)...but I never really bought into that. I don't believe in automotive stereotypes as such. The only one I ever found in America to be even close to the truth is that of the Cadillac DeVille/DTS being for senior citizens....it's rare, but not unheard of, to see someone under 50 driving one. Even the traditional Buick stereotype for geezers is overdone. I see a number of V8 Mustang drivers driving aggressively and doing dumb things on the road, and a number of BMW 3-series jocks with an arrogant attitude and thinking the road is theirs.....but, again, not enough to necessarily be a stereotype.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Subaru did actively promote themselves as a car for lesbians in the 90s and early 2000s, although even that followed market research indicating that it was already one of their largest customer groups.

"Market research" also said that there would be a significant market in the U.S. for the VW Phaeton, Plymouth Prowler, Subaru Tribeca (the Ascent's predecessor), Suzuki Kizashi, and a number of other vehicles that ended up sitting around collecting dust. Though it's too early to tell for sure, the Lincoln Continental may (?) soon end up as another marketing disaster.

Reactions
"Market research" also said that there would be a significant market in the U.S. for the VW Phaeton, Plymouth Prowler, Subaru Tribeca (the Ascent's predecessor), Suzuki Kizashi, and a number of other vehicles that ended up sitting around collecting dust. Though it's too early to tell for sure, the Lincoln Continental may (?) soon end up as another marketing disaster.
Market research is double edged sword...its worked against Toyota in the not too distant past (Cough Scion...)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The Phaeton could've worked (the exterior was decent, and who wouldn't want the A8 drivetrain for cheaper?), but the interior looked like "we're kind of copying the 4LS but we don't understand why it's the way it is".