2018 LS one year later

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Great review! Is this your video?

Like you, I'm a tad surprised with some of the little service annoyances but it sounds like Lexus has made them as painless as possible.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
As an aside, I had a 2020 ES300h as a loaner for 3 days... there are some things I like better about the ES. I may go for an ESh next time, it's a much better value LOL and doesn't have the extras that break (massage seat, air suspension, etc.)

Reactions
As an aside, I had a 2020 ES300h as a loaner for 3 days... there are some things I like better about the ES. I may go for an ESh next time, it's a much better value LOL and doesn't have the extras that break (massage seat, air suspension, etc.)
ES can’t compare with LS. To begin with, the ES is WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. That contributes to NVH( noise, vibration, harshness). Second, interior quality, even with the optional luxury interior, doesn’t compare with the LS. I have driven both for quite a long distance and can tell you that after driving an ES for several hours, you will wish you had an LS.)
There is absolutely no comparison. Ever wonder why an LS costs twice as much as an ES? If money is all that matters, get the ES
We have a 2002 LS430 and a 2020 LS500. We didn’t get air suspension on either car. Other than that we have no issues with our LSes.
That includes 18 year ownership of our 2002.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The greater NVH of the ES compared to the LS is not because it is FWD, it is because -- as a less expensive model (and entry-level model) in the lineup -- Lexus chose not to invest as much resources into making it quieter and smoother.

The LS is Lexus' full-size flagship sedan, to be cross-shopped with the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7-Series and Audi A8. Building the ES to that flagship level would price it out of the range of people looking for a lower-priced Lexus vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions
Another disadvantage of FWD is torque steer. Front drivers tend to ‘push’(understeer in corners and curves. VW really got the ball rolling in the 70s. FWD was easier and cheaper to build and provided compact packaging. Not many FWD sports cars or race cars out there. The ES is FWD because it is cheaper to build and utilizes the Camry/Avalon chassis. If value is the main concern, just get a loaded Camry or Crown. Toyota has dumped the Avalon.
Yes, NVH is more prominent in FWD. You will never see a Lexus LS, BMW 5,6 or7 Series or an M-B S Class with FWD.

Last edited: