2017 Lincoln Continental

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
lincoln-continental-leaked-1_653.jpg

Low res, so we'll have to wait for better pics, but it's looking a bit bland to me there.

More to come!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nice and fairly elegant. Bland is better than somewhat ugly (which is how most of current lineup looks).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's a comparison shot of the concept and (apparent) 2017 production interior. You can see that they dumped much (not all) of the garish chrome on the dash and console for more traditional polished wood. They also used a different center-pad design for the steering wheel and a more traditional center air-vent.

2016-Lincoln-Continental-15-610x407.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental-spied-dashboard-02.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wow - that interior is top notch!!!!

Even with the chrome-level toned down somewhat from the concept, it still has more bling inside than the interior of the competing Cadillac CT6, which is more muted and with matte-finish on the wood trim.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The inside of the CT6 is garbage. Trust me - I sat in it.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The inside of the CT6 is garbage. Trust me - I sat in it.

By the term "garbage", are you, in your opinion, referring to material quality, looks, design/comfort, or a combination of the above? Sometimes good-looking materials on the surface can sometimes be flimsy and cheap underneath...or vice-versa.

Anyhow, if it is out on the floor, unlocked , I'll hopefully see it for myself (and the Continental's) at the upcoming D.C. show.....just a couple of weeks away now.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
By the term "garbage", are you, in your opinion, referring to material quality, looks, design/comfort, or a combination of the above? Sometimes good-looking materials on the surface can sometimes be flimsy and cheap underneath...or vice-versa.

Anyhow, if it is out on the floor, unlocked , I'll hopefully see it for myself (and the Continental's) at the upcoming D.C. show.....just a couple of weeks away now.

Design, materials, fit and finish - all of it. The interior is very disappointing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Official:

2017-lincoln-continental001-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental004-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental005-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental006-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental007-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental008-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental010-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental011-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental012-1.jpg

2017-lincoln-continental020-1.jpg

All-New Lincoln Continental Delivers Quiet Luxury: Elegant, Effortlessly Powerful, Serene

- Lincoln Motor Company introduces its elegant new flagship – the all-new Continental – coming this fall
- Effortless power comes from new 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine that produces a projected 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque1; advanced safety technology is also featured
- Serene interior offers the comfort of Lincoln's innovative Perfect Position Seat, spaciousness, rear seat amenities, Revel® audio system and top-grade materials

DETROIT, Jan. 12, 2016 – Lincoln Motor Company heralds the return of its flagship – the all-new Lincoln Continental – an elegant, effortlessly powerful, serene full-size sedan
that delivers quiet luxury to the industry's most discerning customers.

Beginning this fall, Continental offers first-class travel for clients in America and China, bringing warm, human touches and a contemporary design.

The full-size sedan is designed to appeal to culturally progressive clients who define luxury on their own terms – craving superior quality, craftsmanship and safety.

"The Continental name has long been associated with the ultimate in Lincoln beauty and luxury," said Kumar Galhotra, president of Lincoln. "With the all-new model, we are focusing on creating more human, personally tailored experiences for our clients – providing what we call quiet luxury."

Elegance through design
All-new Continental design is thoroughly modern, with Lincoln's new signature grille and an athletic profile that is dynamic and progressive.

Lincoln's new flagship welcomes drivers with a brand-exclusive lighting sequence. As the driver approaches the car with the key, LED signature lighting in the lower front fascia and taillamps subtly engages, while signature lighting in the headlamps awakens in a fluid motion. Lincoln mat lights then brighten the pavement around the front doors, helping show any hazards, while select interior lights warmly illuminate the cabin.

Continental door handles are designed to offer elegant and effortless entry with new E-latch door release. The release is discreetly integrated within the beltline, leaving the body side clean. With the gentle touch of a button, the vehicle's doors pop open, then use available power-cinching technology to automatically close and secure.

An elegant available panoramic sunroof covers nearly the entire roof area; the front half slides up and over the rear – creating a large open-air driving experience and an even greater feeling of spaciousness for up to five Continental occupants.

Effortless power
Continental offers available technologies that help create better and safer drivers.

The all-new Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter V6 engine with twin turbochargers that produces a projected 400 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque1 is designed for smooth, responsive, yet quiet power.

Continental's available all-wheel-drive system is paired with Dynamic Torque Vectoring that transfers torque on demand to the appropriate rear wheel when driving through corners – providing confident handling and stability.

Lincoln Drive Control provides the driver a choice of three settings – comfort, normal and sport – adapting steering and suspension settings to tailor ride and handling.

Available adaptive steering helps optimize steering response, enabling the vehicle to react more smoothly and precisely to driver input.

Continental's Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection is designed to enhance occupant safety. A system of cameras and sensors detects if a potential collision may occur, then automatically applies the brakes, bringing the vehicle to a full stop to help avoid or reduce impact.2

Effortless assistance for the daily commute is available with optional adaptive cruise control, which can automatically slow Continental in stop-and-go traffic – resuming speed when traffic clears.

To take the stress out of parallel and perpendicular parking, the new 360-degree camera system uses views from cameras mounted in the grille, decklid and 180-degree side mirrors, then seamlessly stitches these snapshots together to create an image in the screen so the driver can see around the car – as if a camera is overhead.

Serene interior
The all-new Continental interior is designed to help all occupants rejuvenate.

One highlight is Lincoln's new Perfect Position Seats – inspired by private jets and high-end office furniture – that can adapt up to 30 ways. The patented design allows the seat to adjust to an individual's body shape and weight for optimal stretch and comfort, and includes massage, heat and cooling features. Independent thigh extensions are available to help reduce muscle fatigue.

Rear passengers can enjoy first-class travel amenities, too, with such available features as audio and climate controls, sunshades, and reclining, heated, cooled and massaging seats. The streamlined interior provides generous rear legroom.

Continental occupants also can enjoy an available Revel® audio system developed to work in concert with the interior design and acoustics, transforming the cabin into a personal amphitheater with three distinct listening modes – Stereo, Audience and On Stage. Use of the E-latch release enables optimal speaker positioning in the Continental doors, alongside the conveniently located seat controls.

Innovations in managing vehicle noise and vibration, including Active Noise Control and acoustic laminated glass create a quiet, comfortable environment conducive to conversation or contemplation.

For those seeking the highest expression of Lincoln luxury, three Lincoln Black Label designer themes are available – Chalet, Thoroughbred and Continental-exclusive Rhapsody.

Inside, opulent materials include leather seating, leather-wrapped console and instrument panel, unique stitching, genuine wood or artesian aluminum appliqués.

All models feature new design details. Stitching on the seats is specified at six to seven stitches per inch for a couture-like appearance, and the slats of the center console door are laser-cut to maximize consistency of the grain pattern.

The all-new Lincoln Continental will be produced at Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan. The Lincoln flagship goes on sale this fall.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't personally care much for the way this car looks, but I am excited to see signs of life at Lincoln and hope that things will get better from here.

That 3.0TT powerplant is pretty sweet, no doubt.

Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not bad at all. I hope it's priced right. I think it has a lot of potential if the aftermarket touches it.

As if the Acura RLX already didn't have enough problem. Here is another new entry superior to it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I feel like I am ragging this car out - I don't want it to appear that way, but when I see live pictures of this car (Read: not photoshopped press pics), I am very underwhelmed.

As with the Conti Concept, many of the design elements of this car are neat - the mesh grille is cool, the wheels are pretty and quite frankly, it's just cool to see some spark in an American icon. The execution of the whole car, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired. This Continental is not greater than the sum of it's parts/design cues, in my eyes.

It's disappointing to me because I am firmly in the camp that any solid luxury brand that's not of German origin is a good thing for Lexus.

Why? For so long, with Mercedes and BMW at the top of the heap and Lexus in tow, there was and is this permeating theme that "Luxury = German cars... or Lexus." Through the years, Cadillac, Acura, Infiniti, Jaguar, Volvo and others have come and gone, but in the US, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes have always been the "top three." In the last five years, we've seen an incredible resurgence in Audi and I think they're firmly a Tier 1 brand and their sales will soon catch up to the big three. Simultaneously, Infiniti and Acura have floundered... doing exactly ZERO for the concept that luxury cars can come other places than Germany. Cadillac has risen to the occasion in some instances and failed in others.

With the amazing turnaround work that Ford has done in the last 15 years, I was very excited when I learned that Mercury would be shuttered and significant investment would be made in Lincoln. I don't expect them to get it absolutely right the first time, but this car is VERY BORING to look at in real life.

Consider that if this car comes out in fall as a 2017 model, we'll be looking at the same 90s-esque shapes until 2020 or later. I just wish it had been a little more modern, a little more futuristic, a little more singular in execution. Parts are good, but in my eyes, the overall car is just "okay" and I wanted a lot more than that.

01-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jpg

02-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jpg

05-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jpg

07-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jpg

08-2017-lincoln-continental-detroit-1.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not bad, certainly far better looking than entire Lincoln lineup prior to this (to-date and for decades). Is it sitting on 21's?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
With the amazing turnaround work that Ford has done in the last 15 years, I was very excited when I learned that Mercury would be shuttered and significant investment would be made in Lincoln. I don't expect them to get it absolutely right the first time, but this car is VERY BORING to look at in real life.

Consider that if this car comes out in fall as a 2017 model, we'll be looking at the same 90s-esque shapes until 2020 or later. I just wish it had been a little more modern, a little more futuristic, a little more singular in execution. Parts are good, but in my eyes, the overall car is just "okay" and I wanted a lot more than that.

I give it a little more credit than you do. This is essentially the car that the MKS could and should have been, and wasn't. The MKS flopped, just as I predicted it would. Yes, Lincoln does have to find some newer, younger, customers......which it is doing with the MKC, and probably also will with the upcoming MKZ's nice body and interior revisions. (The present-generation MKZ was another flop that I predicted). But Lincoln also has to get some of the former Town Car customers back.....for the most part, they shunned the MKS. I don't agree with the oft-heard argument that the former Town Car customers all have one foot in the grave and will soon have two........that they can just be ignored or forgotten. Enough of them are still driving (and will for some more years) that I think they will return to this car in droves :).....something they didn't do with the MKS.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
LOL, finally I met a Town Car owner/driver last weekend that wasn't near death (or driving for a towncar service) even if he's in his late sixties with a terrible comb-over hairdo (not as stupid as Trump's hairdo:confused:). He's actually an accomplished realtor and still working successfully selling mostly expensive single family homes.

More on topic, this Continental still looks good next to rest of Lincoln lineup today.

RAL

Reactions
I wonder if this new 2017 Continental will have more "presence" in real life ... because in photos the overall styling seems kind of bland for this class.

Remembering the Continental of the early 1960's ... over 50 years ago ... when somehow simple wasn't bland:
61_Lincoln_Contintl_AC_06-BC_01.jpg

Fryday04Big (1).jpg

Fryday03Big (1).jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if this new 2017 Continental will have more "presence" in real life ... because in photos the overall styling seems kind of bland for this class.

Remembering the Continental of the early 1960's ... over 50 years ago ... when somehow simple wasn't bland:

Those 60s-vintage Continentals also won many styling awards.

My late father worked for Philco-Ford after the retired from the Army. He would regularly bring home big company Mercurys at night after work, toss me the keys, and let me try them out (I was a careful driver by teen-standards). One time he brought home a 1969 Lincoln Continental that a company Vice-President used, gave me the keys, and said "Have fun, Mike, but be careful...this is a VP car". That car, as a pure-luxury-barge, was unbelievable. 5400 lbs....drove and handled like a battleship, sound insulation of a cocoon, the ride-comfort of a magic-carpet, and the stability of the Rock of Gibraltar. To Lexus' credit, the LS430 was probably the first luxury car I encountered afterward that I was as impressed with as a luxury-sedan as that old Continental.

BTW, my Dad didn't care much for luxury cars.....he loved the durability/reliability and gas-mileage of the Chrysler slant-six engine, and drove Plymouth Valiants as his personal cars LOL.[/QUOTE]

Back to the new 2017 Continental. I'm not naive enough to think that it will drive like that magic-carpet '69 did, but, on paper at least, it looks like a nice cruiser by today's standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I fully expect a 2017 Continental to have much better ride and better handling than any 60's Lincoln, not that it's saying much. The far more sophisticated suspension combined with far stiffer chassis allows a level of precise suspension tuning not available to engineers in the 60's. And less car-sickness and vomiting complaints too.

I like the somewhat plain/clean Continenetal styling so far, after years of mostly ugly cars from Lincoln this is the first stylish Lincoln in decades.

Some trivia here; I'm also from a Ford family (except engineering management-level) starting in my early childhood, so we got so we got 1 to 2 brand new custom ordered lease Ford cars every year for decades. Later my brother did similar gig at Director-level and while working in Europe, he left his US lease car (since he had same lease deal also in England) with me to use almost entire year. These cars were all driven very hard but none totaled, but that's ancient history.