2017 Kia Sportage Spied Uncovered

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2017-kia-sportage-leaked--image-via-auto-tribune_100523620_m.jpg

2017-kia-sportage-leaked--image-via-auto-tribune_100523618_m.jpg

2017-kia-sportage-leaked--image-via-auto-tribune_100523619_m.jpg

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1044443_2017-kia-sportage-leaked

I feel like Kia has been building pretty attractive cars lately, but this is really quite strange looking. I almost get a Subaru Tribeca vibe from the front end...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Previously the Sportage was quite stylish, but the hardware (engines and chassis) was getting dated and non-competitive, so this new gen was badly needed.

Wow, that frontend is terrible (and the backend just generic). I see Kia is trying some kind of weak attempt at a "corporate grill" and slap it on every vehicle, I think they need to go back to the drawing board...

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice find, Gecko. :)

That "corporate" grill in front, in Kia-speak, is known as a "Tiger" grill, and, yes, it is now more or less standard equipment on all new Kias. I agree it doesn't look particularly good with those specific sweep-back headlights. Lexus, BTW, used an almost identical headlight shape on the superb 4Gen ES300/330.

The former version may be a little dated, but my brother picked up an end-of-model-year 2015 Sportage LX (bought it on the last day of June, as good deals often come at the end of the month with manufacturer-to-dealer payments), and he loves it. (the same design will be carried forward for 2016 until this new 2017 is introduced next summer). The real test, though, of my brothers 2015 and its AWD will come this winter when he has to commute with it in snow and ice.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
:eek:

Very strange, over-done exterior, with the same sort of mundane interior. Maybe I'm getting old, but all Kia interiors are starting to look almost identical. This looks very much like the Optima interior.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
:eek:

Very strange, over-done exterior, with the same sort of mundane interior. Maybe I'm getting old, but all Kia interiors are starting to look almost identical. This looks very much like the Optima interior.

The "Tiger" grille seems to pretty much be a Kia styling theme now, but not necessarily those Tribeca-style headlights. And, given the great success the 2Gen Optima has been (a huge improvement over the slow-selling 1Gen), it's probably not surprising that Kia may want to use the same general interior theme in other models.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Wonder if Schreyer is losing his touch based on these pics. And tiger grill looks weak on SUV.

Even new 2016 Hyundai Tuscon looks better (Schreyer takes responsibiity for that too).

One trend that's obvious in CA, Kia gaining share in rental car fleets.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Even new 2016 Hyundai Tuscon looks better (Schreyer takes responsibiity for that too).

Probably still not saying much. I thought that, except for some nice paint colors on certain trim models, the last Tucson looked awful, inside and out. The one before that was much better.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Probably still not saying much. I thought that, except for some nice paint colors on certain trim models, the last Tucson looked awful, inside and out. The one before that was much better.

My comment was comparing to new Sportage (the topic here). He is responsible for design of this Sportage and 2016 Tuscon, both all new designs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My brother took one look at that new front end, patted me on the shoulder, and said "Mike, I'm glad we went shopping for that 2015".......although the current design is being carried over through at least part of next year as a 2016 model, minus a few paint colors and some features, until the new 2017 model debuts.

Reactions: CIF