2017 Ford Raptor

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
We saw Ford's all-new aluminum F-150 at the close of last year, but the rugged off-road Raptor version was delayed a year. It's now near unveiling time for it, and here it is without any wraps.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/15/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-spied-naked/

At this point, Ford appears so confident about the design of the 2017 F-150 Raptor that the company isn't even bothering to camouflage the test trucks anymore. While we recently saw the rear undisguised, this SuperCrew offers an opportunity to check out the performance pickup from some much better angles.

Other than a change to the tailgate trim, the Raptor looks to make the transition to the road practically unaltered from the one on display at the Detroit Auto Show. The truck looks especially fantastic in black, and the fender flares lend a muscular appearance. You can easily spot the more aggressive shocks at the rear, too. This one also wears a slightly different wheel design than the previous one. With SuperCab and SuperCrew versions already testing, Ford seems to be readying a Raptor for any buyer's desires.

Underneath the hood, Ford packs the performance truck with a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that reportedly makes 450 horsepower, and the engine is hooked up to a 10-speed automatic. A combination of terrain management tech and an optional Torsen front differential should help keep the pickup powering through just about any offroad conditions. For testing, Ford is taking to Raptors to all sorts of environments to make sure the model could back up its mean look.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Loved the previous generation and love this one. Would love to see Toyota add more power to their TRD package.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
They (previous gen) are quite popular around here, usually seen on the freeway or rolling through suburbs.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I absolutely love the exterior styling of the Raptor.

However, I recently sat in and examined for an extended period of the time the interior in a 1st gen Raptor, and I was highly disappointed. The interior is much worse than the higher-level F150 trims. For the price, I was expecting a much better interior.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I absolutely love the exterior styling of the Raptor.

However, I recently sat in and examined for an extended period of the time the interior in a 1st gen Raptor, and I was highly disappointed. The interior is much worse than the higher-level F150 trims. For the price, I was expecting a much better interior.

Look underneath the Raptor, at its Hulk-Hogan underpinnings, and you'll clearly see where the money went. :);)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Look underneath the Raptor, at its Hulk-Hogan underpinnings, and you'll clearly see where the money went. :);)

Yes I'm well aware of that. I just expected more from the interior, that's all. Also there has been controversy over the Raptor's reliability in extreme off-road conditions, with apparently bent frames occurring. I have no idea the details or extent of that though.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes I'm well aware of that. I just expected more from the interior, that's all. Also there has been controversy over the Raptor's reliability in extreme off-road conditions, with apparently bent frames occurring. I have no idea the details or extent of that though.

They must really be abusing it off road. Takes a lot to bend a frame like that.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
They must really be abusing it off road. Takes a lot to bend a frame like that.

I wouldn't know. Ford did market the Raptor aggressively as a serious off-road machine. So it could be a very fine line.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I wouldn't know. Ford did market the Raptor aggressively as a serious off-road machine. So it could be a very fine line.

When the Raptor first came out several years ago, there were stories about it being able to go off-road over very rough conditions at 55 MPH. (I don't remember if those claims were actually from Ford or not). Hulk-Hogan underpinnings or not, I figured at least some of that was B.S. However, if people actually BELIEVED it, IMO that could explain some of the frame-bending.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF