2016 IS200T is on US EPA gas mileage website now

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
LOL o_O
Everybody got so hyped over a 4- cylinder turbo and that's it?!?
My dinosaur killing, tree burning, smog burning normally aspirated RWD V6 are already there.
I'll just keep driving my 2015 IS250 and ES350 as well as my LS1 V8 sports car and let y'all worry about CAFE.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes in comparison ratings for 2015 iS250 rwd (V6) 21 city, 30 highway, 24 combined.

2 mpg or maybe realistically only about 5% improvement, yes Toy/Lex wants those mileage boosts in numbers to meet future EPA mileage targets. Since the base-engined version is higher volume/top selling IS, it's significant and moves the needle even if it seems like somewhat small improvement. At least they didn't take the approach Hundai got busted for and just lie about gas mileage. And the turbo4 is quicker as side benefit.

Most of the worrying will be it corporate at seems...

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
As of now, though, in the American market, the IS200T and F-Sport 200T only come in RWD.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/specifications.

With 258 ft-lbs. of torque, though, that seems like enough for AWD...and, indeed, with the same engine, the NX200T does offer AWD.

Lexus offers the new IS300 V6 with AWD now. So they have IS customers needing AWD covered. Also NX is a very different config so AWD turbo 4 would not be plug and play in IS.

Last edited:

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I actually rolled up...and then away swiftly...from a white IS 200t F Sport in Davie, FL on Pine Island Road.
Sorry, but I will never give in to a 4-cylinder.
Realistically, I'd be driving a 6.2L Corvettte with a V8 featuring cylinder deactivation exceeding 30MPG if I could afford it.
Since I do 90% city driving, there is precious little difference in fuel economy between my IS 250 F Sport and my ES350. But oh that power on take off.
Gimme normally aspirated or the city bus. :confused:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
City buses here are usually hybrids, lol. Drivers are maniacs too. I prefer the "mini bullet train express" form of mass transit to go from SJ to SF.

But we already know what's quicker by any typical instrumented performance measurements, (not the IS250 or the city bus).

Reactions
I got the new IS200t last week, it feels a little turbo lag when you accelerating, besides that everything is the same...

Reactions
Does sport mode help with turbo lag?

Yes, when you changed to sport mode, the throttle is more responsive, more eager, makes me feel pretty excited (forgive me, I just settled in America one year, and this is my first ever luxury brand vehicle:p).

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
So, to recap, negligible difference in fuel economy and hindered by turbo lag on acceleration, as reported by actual owners or reputable sources.
The prosecution rests, your honor. We shall be seeking the maximum sentence for pre-meditated homicide of the reliable 2.5 liter normally aspirated V6 engine by Lexus Japan and Lexus USA.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
MPG: 22 city, 33 highway, 26 combined

Surprised the city EPA matches the 400 lb heavier NX o_O Somehow, it must be the 8-speed tranny and/or the engine tuning since this engine does have 6 more hp in the IS over the NX...

So, to recap, negligible difference in fuel economy and hindered by turbo lag on acceleration, as reported by actual owners or reputable sources.
The prosecution rests, your honor. We shall be seeking the maximum sentence for pre-meditated homicide of the reliable 2.5 liter normally aspirated V6 engine by Lexus Japan and Lexus USA.

LOL.

I too much prefer the IS 250's "anemic" 2.5L V6 any day over the NX's 2L Turbo thanks to it's far better launch and responsiveness, smoother idle and power delivery, and sultry engine/exhaust note (hear the vid below :D). On the flipside, the heavier NX is BETTER than the IS in real-world overall fuel economy by about 5% so this 4 cyl is fuel efficient.

This is from true ownership experience of the NX AWD, now 1 year and 2+ years with my 3IS 250 AWD and 2+ years with my past 2IS 250 AWD. If I could swap out the 4-banger for the 2.5 V6, I would in an instant even at the expense of a 1s drop to 60 mph. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Obviously Lexus made the choice to use as base engine the 2.0L turbo4 (versus 2.5L V6) mainly motivated by small bump in EPA mileage ratings. The faster advertised 0-60 acceleration is just a bonus from a marketing standpoint.

But where the rubber meets the road (for any top automaker brand such as Lexus) is whether IS sales increase or decrease and that's still TBD... 2016 here it comes.

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
I'm with you corradoMR2 ... there is too much idle vibration in our 200t NX especially when using the brake-hold feature. Vibration is why I've usually steered clear of a 4 cylinder. On a recent Lexus Advisory Board survey, when questioned extensively about satisfaction with 2.0L turbo4, I have offered strong objection to the lack of a NX V6 option.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'm with you corradoMR2 ... there is too much idle vibration in our 200t NX especially when using the brake-hold feature. Vibration is why I've usually steered clear of a 4 cylinder. On a recent Lexus Advisory Board survey, when questioned extensively about satisfaction with 2.0L turbo4, I have offered strong objection to the lack of a NX V6 option.

I'm also with corradoMR2....and, of course, with you. :) Not there's anything really wrong with the turbo 4, especially if you like the power, but I agree the V6 is more refined overall to drive. Given the choice, I'd take a little less HP/torque (if applicable) and a little more refinement.