2015 Lexus NX 200t F-Sport : Lexus Enthusiast Full Review

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Bravo corradoMR2 with the pics!

However I'll chime in as to why Lexus (likely) advertises their cargo capacity with such a method. I believe Lexus is being purposely conservative, and rating total cargo capacity without it affecting rear visibility through the mirror and rear glass. Suddenly then, Lexus calculating it below the tonneau cover makes a lot of sense ;).

Thanks.

This is fair statement though my issue with it is it's inconsistently applied to the RX which has only slightly larger dimensions (as per pic above :) ). My theory is because of the more global positioning of the NX, Lexus USA (and Canada) are both standardizing against the European method of measurement which measures volume from the seat height down (or pretty much in line with the tonneau cover downward).

We have in Europe today:

X3 = 550 L or 19.4 cu ft
Q5 = 540 L or 19.0 cu ft
NX = 500 L or 17.6 cu ft

My pet peeve with this is Audi and BMW in N.America are not publishing the Euro specs, but the full cargo volume to the ceiling (X3=27.3 cu ft); (Q5=29.1 cu ft). Buyers who are "specs shopping" can easily dismiss the NX based on this alone without ever even seeing the cargo in person. :eek:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Thanks.

This is fair statement though my issue with it is it's inconsistently applied to the RX which has only slightly larger dimensions (as per pic above :) ). My theory is because of the more global positioning of the NX, Lexus USA (and Canada) are both standardizing against the European method of measurement which measures volume from the seat height down (or pretty much in line with the tonneau cover downward).

We have in Europe today:

X3 = 550 L or 19.4 cu ft
Q5 = 540 L or 19.0 cu ft
NX = 500 L or 17.6 cu ft

My pet peeve with this is Audi and BMW in N.America are not publishing the Euro specs, but the full cargo volume to the ceiling (X3=27.3 cu ft); (Q5=29.1 cu ft). Buyers who are "specs shopping" can easily dismiss the NX based on this alone without ever even seeing the cargo in person. :eek:

Wow, I didn't know that either, yet another interesting point, thanks! :)

Hmm, well I think some of us here should definitely bring this up to Lexus. If this is indeed the case, you're right, that puts the NX at a competitive disadvantage on paper.

Reactions
I have yet to see a NX F Sport with these wheels here, are all the ones we've been getting have the A/S tires?
2015-lexus-nx-f-sport-series.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
CorradoMR2, wow, amazing stuff and I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense now as I just thought it was odd how the NX was listed as barely more room than a GS and my wife saw it and it just looked bad. Wow...

Mike, about the lights, according to the spec sheet, those are not HIDs, but LED as well, just not the triple-beam. IMO, I'd be happy with those and skip the optional LEDs.
Wow, I wasn't aware, thank you!

Great review Mike! No Vossen test fit? :D

Question for you, that pic with the mini-Mike's car seat, whose seating position is that on the front seat? When I sat in the NX, I found the back a little tight, but was a little surprised to see how well that seat fit there. I hear you on the screen too. I was between the NX and the GS and gas savings be damned, I couldn't go from small screen in my IS to small screen in the NX. The GS interior is just a dream to be in

Hey what up bro! That is my seating position in the front seat. I had no trouble with the seat behind me. :)

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I have yet to see a NX F Sport with these wheels here, are all the ones we've been getting have the A/S tires?
2015-lexus-nx-f-sport-series.jpg

These graphite wheels available in the US come with Summer 235/55/18 rubber (typically Bridgestone). The machine/black wheels come with 225/60/18 A/S tires (typically Michelin or Yokohama).

80-14_07_07_lexus_nx_f_sport_wheels_thumb_b4b28d4735520b3118d298ef64bb7a8288b98a71.jpg

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Wow, I didn't know that either, yet another interesting point, thanks! :)

Hmm, well I think some of us here should definitely bring this up to Lexus. If this is indeed the case, you're right, that puts the NX at a competitive disadvantage on paper.

I've not had much luck here in Canada. It would be great getting Lexus USA's attention on this if you guys have connections. :)

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Mike, I love pics in a review. Makes it all the better. Awesome read!

I agree with the soft launch but it does pull very strongly to redline after about a second. Though with the engine note and responsive powertrain factored in, I prefer the antiquated but buttery smooth 2.5 V6 in my IS. I'd pick this engine for the NX if I had a choice. You also seem to be on the fence regarding the 2L Turbo.

I wish you guys down south would have AVS. It soaks up the bumps so well, in fact better than the RX F Sport I owned. Then flick it in Sport S+, and ride stiffens for reduced body roll and more responsive handling.

One of my pet peeves for which I've been reaching out to Lexus is to review and revise their advertised cargo capacity. What many don't realize is the 17.6 cu ft is measured BENEATH the rigid tonneau cover. I calculate between 26-28 cu ft with numerous pics, data, and measurements to show it. (I owned three RXs, latest gen topping at 40 cu Ft and no way the RX is two and a half times the size of the NX behind the seats :) )
80-nxtrunkmeasurements_missing_cf9b0acd9ef918ccd2a002ab7d1355855fcf38cd.jpg

Seats up, lots can fit:
356633d1425848362-cargo-size-measurement-for-nx-nxsuit1.jpg

Honda Fit: 16.6 cu ft. nearly the same as the NX... really? Pics don't lie :)
354735d1423795255-cargo-size-measurement-for-nx-nx_fit.jpg

RX fits exactly 5 of these grocery bins with virtually no room to spare. NX fits 4 but with room for 3 or so more grocery bags in the net virtually equaling the RX's in floor space.
351834d1420951720-my-rx-vs-nx-ownership-detailed-comparison-rx_nx3.jpg

Thanks for the photos and measurements!

My concern with NX cargo space in comparison to the RX is that the back tailgate is raked much more steeply cutting into cargo space.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Thanks for the photos and measurements!

My concern with NX cargo space in comparison to the RX is that the back tailgate is raked much more steeply cutting into cargo space.

Actually, nope! This is design trickery at its best. I too thought the NX was a little more raked. Putting aside the more sloping roofline on the NX, the tailgate rake is virtually identical to the 3RX. It's the 4RX that has the more noticeable coupe-like rake at the rear. :D

80-nx_rx_rake_68123a6e12b1554b2c97a30278f93fd3a614c5ea.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, awesome analysis yet again corradomr2! :)

To add to that, the new RX is longer, so I think that compensates for the increased rake ;).

I think your title should be "resident technical analyst" :D.

Your analysis posts are greatly appreciated and very unique!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wow, awesome analysis yet again corradomr2! :)

To add to that, the new RX is longer, so I think that compensates for the increased rake ;).

I think your title should be "resident technical analyst" :D.

Your analysis posts are greatly appreciated and very unique!

I agree...good analysis, corrado. :)

Also keep in mind that not only length can compensate for increased rake in providing cargo room, but also (if applicable) a lower trunk-floor and rear seats that fold perfectly flat instead of at a slant. But, given a lack of other factors, for years, square designs were the most space-efficient, and even today, though it is not impossible by any means, it still takes some clever engineering to allow fastback rooflines to carry what squared-off designs do.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Update

Since we travel quite a bit we did some research on lighter and smaller babyseats and strollers since the ones we had were much to heavy and bulky for travel. Using these in the NX would save more room. Something to think about.