2018 Subaru Ascent is a Tahoe-sized Forester

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2018 Subaru Ascent three-row crossover SUV spotted showing off its shape

These images give us our best look so far at the Subaru Ascent, a new-for-2018 three-row crossover to fill the hole in Subaru's product lineup since the unloved Tribeca was discontinued after 2014.

This prototype is lightly coated in a body-hugging camouflage wrap and appears to take its design from the Highlander-on-steroids Viziv-7 Concept that debuted at November's Los Angeles Auto Show. An exec from Subaru's parent company said at the time that "the next three-row from Subaru will be the biggest Subaru vehicle ever." That's for sure: The wheelbase is 117.7 inches and the overall vehicle measures 204.7 inches - a bit longer than a Chevy Tahoe.

subaruascent-g05-kgp-ed-2.jpg

subaruascent-g24-kgp-ed-1.jpg

subaruascent-g01-kgp-ed-2.jpg

subaruascent-g16-kgp-ed-2.jpg

subaruascent-g19-kgp-ed-1.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
If Toyota wasn't able to significantly break into the Tahoe/Expedition market with the Sequoia, it is not likely that Subaru will be able to, either. But we'll wait and see.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
My goodness, that thing is massive. Good for Subaru, always been a fan of the brand.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My goodness, that thing is massive. Good for Subaru, always been a fan of the brand.

I had an Outback for almost six years. Best winter vehicle I ever owned, by an enormous margin....simply laughed at anything on slippery roads. But the so-called "legendary" Subaru reliability, though usually better than average, is somewhat overhyped....they can have problems, too.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So not being talked about much, but to little surprise this Ascent has a new 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder boxer engine (no 6 cylinder here). On paper it makes 260hp and 277 lb. ft torque. On paper that seems adequate, but in real-world driving I imagine this will be quite slow like most regular Subaru models are. IMO this is not enough power for such a large SUV. When fully loaded with people and cargo, I expect this to struggle going up a steep hill.

Reactions
Mainly Subie fans will like or tolerate this thing. I expect very few conquest sales.
Whether it is just the Subie folks buying them or not, I doubt Subaru cares who's buying them if dealers pre-sold the darn things already...

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/2019-subaru-ascent-pre-orders-are-mind-blowing
2019 Subaru Ascent Pre-Orders Are Mind-Blowing

The all-new Subaru Ascent is already a big hit with consumers. See how one dealer has pre-sold their entire allotment.

The new 2019 Subaru Ascent 3-Row family hauler doesn’t arrive at U.S. dealer showrooms until this summer, but they can be pre-ordered now. We have heard from one Subaru dealer, Adventure Subaru in Fayetteville, Arkansas, they have already pre-sold their entire allotment of new Ascent vehicles.

According to a tip Torque News received from Mari Sulzen, who works at the Arkansas dealership, the new Ascent is a hot item already for the brand. Mari told us they were allocated 31 new Ascent family haulers and 4 days after they could be pre-ordered, all 31 have been sold. Families who want one will have to either put their names on a list or wait until more arrive sometime this summer.

The all-new Subaru Ascent is being built at the revamped Subaru plant in Lafayette, Indiana, Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA). The plant has already undergone a major expansion nearly doubling production capacity. This year, they are set to produce 342,000 Subaru vehicles, which in addition to the Ascent, the production includes the Subaru Outback wagon, new Impreza compact sedan and 5-Door hatch and the Legacy sedan.

Based on current trends, Subaru may not be able to build enough of the new Ascent 3-Row crossovers to satisfy the demand for the new flagship model in the U.S. and Canada. Subaru expected the new Ascent to be a big hit with North American families and they could sell more than 60,000 of the new family-sized SUVs in the first year.

Ascent pre-orders are mind-blowing

Subaru figures to cash in on the crossover craze that is driving their sales to new records every year. Subaru could sell more Ascents than their new Impreza compact and Legacy sedan that are built in Indiana. Mari told us “If you want one, you will either have to order one and get it in July or wait till we can get one on the ground that is not already sold! This is mind-blowing!”

We asked who is buying the new Ascent, and she told us most of the buyers are new to the Subaru brand, but there are also some current customers trading out of Outbacks. Adventure Subaru is seeing mostly the upper Limited ($38,995) and Touring ($44,695) trims being pre-ordered by customers.

Subaru expected the new all-wheel-drive family vehicle to be a big hit with current customers looking to move up from an Outback or Forester, and families looking for a 3-Row crossover who have never purchased a Subaru vehicle before. Subaru could have a problem right out the gate and may not be able to build the Ascent 3-Row crossovers fast enough to satisfy the demand for the new flagship model.

The all-new 2019 Subaru Ascent won’t arrive in showrooms until this summer, and some dealers have already sold their pre-order allotment. It looks like Subaru has hit a home run with the new Ascent.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Subaru's the sales darling these days, hey they do know their buyer demographic pretty well. Must be those energy drinks :joy:

For their size, they go in snow like almost nothing else. That boxer-engine/symmetrical AWD combo is very effective when the roads get slick.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
That's all fine and good given it's a brand new model. We'll see how this Ascent does sales-wise over the next few years.

For their size, they go in snow like almost nothing else. That boxer-engine/symmetrical AWD combo is very effective when the roads get slick.

I think "go" in this context is very relative. Excluding STI models, virtually all other Subaru models are dog slow. Your love for Subarus is very well known, but ever taken a non-STI Subaru fully loaded with people and cargo up a steep hill covered in snow and ice? In extreme conditions like that, Subarus don't "go" much at all. This is even more true in high altitude areas.

I see this all the time daily on the roads in my area. Lots of (lightly loaded) Subarus that struggle to accelerate and merge onto highways properly, and Subarus that struggle to accelerate up steep hills.

Subaru's AWD system matters little when the majority of Subaru models have such absolutely gutless engines. For safety and confidence yes Subaru's AWD is pretty good. For performance or any sort of decent power, you have to get an STI model if you want any performance to along with that AWD system. Also unfortunately for North America, there are a number of STI models that are exclusive to Japan (and/or select Asian markets) only. So North America gets an even more gutless lineup than Subaru in Japan.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That's all fine and good given it's a brand new model. We'll see how this Ascent does sales-wise over the next few years.

I think "go" in this context is very relative. Excluding STI models, virtually all other Subaru models are dog slow. Your love for Subarus is very well known, but ever taken a non-STI Subaru fully loaded with people and cargo up a steep hill covered in snow and ice? In extreme conditions like that, Subarus don't "go" much at all. This is even more true in high altitude areas.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm well-aware that the non-turbo models are far from dragsters....remember, I owned one for six years, as do a number of my colleagues. My point is not power (anybody can produce HP or torque), but that the Subaru Symmetrical AWD systems are arguably the best car-based AWD systems in the industry.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think you misunderstood my post. I'm well-aware that the non-turbo models are far from dragsters....remember, I owned one for six years, as do a number of my colleagues. My point is not power (anybody can produce HP or torque), but that the Subaru Symmetrical AWD systems are arguably the best car-based AWD systems in the industry.

Well yes, that much is obvious. We know Subaru's AWD system is good :).

That aside, the topic of debate and contention here is Subaru's continued efforts in offering mostly gutless engines.

If the Ascent ever gets a Toyota-sourced hybrid system, that will very likely be the better powertrain option.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
At 32k, it will sell well and continue to do so... Subaru has its own audience, and this is a perfect vehicle for them.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
At 32k, it will sell well and continue to do so... Subaru has its own audience, and this is a perfect vehicle for them.

We'll have to wait and see. Subaru's previous attempt in this class (the Tribeca), had about as much appeal to the public as overcooked pasta.....and drove like it, too LOL. But, of course, the American market has changed somewhat since then, and, today, is more amiable to SUVs in general.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We'll have to wait and see. Subaru's previous attempt in this class (the Tribeca), had about as much appeal to the public as overcooked pasta.....and drove like it, too LOL. But, of course, the American market has changed somewhat since then, and, today, is more amiable to SUVs in general.

Subbie is on the roll in the US, I cant see it not working out for them... it is utility vehicle with awd, that ticks all the boxes.

Just like Mazda focused on getting its models designed for Europe, Subaru is doing the same in the USA and they are doing great. Both are doing terribly non-core markets, like Mazda in the US and Subaru in Europe.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think there's one question mark with this one: how will Subie's traditional eco-conscious fanbase react to a full-size SUV? And will their opinion matter when soccer moms buy 10 million of them, a la the Cayenne?

Reactions
I think there's one question mark with this one: how will Subie's traditional eco-conscious fanbase react to a full-size SUV? And will their opinion matter when soccer moms buy 10 million of them, a la the Cayenne?
As long as Foresters, Crosstreks and Outbacks are still sold, I don't think it will have any effect. I don't think I'd ever see them driving a BRZ or WRX. After all, the brand is great for different buyers to "Co-Exist" o_O
Coexist_SUB.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think there's one question mark with this one: how will Subie's traditional eco-conscious fanbase react to a full-size SUV?

Good point. They certainly didn't buy the Tribeca, which was smaller than the Ascent. But, in general, the market, today, is more supportive of SUVs than it was in the Tribeca's day.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As long as Foresters, Crosstreks and Outbacks are still sold, I don't think it will have any effect. I don't think I'd ever see them driving a BRZ or WRX. After all, the brand is great for different buyers to "Co-Exist" o_O
Coexist_SUB.jpg

While, yes, Subarus like that DO exist (as you note), that classic left-wing bumper-sticker image is more of a stereotype that of widespread reality. In my experience, from what I've seen, Subaru owners come from all walks of life and all different political views.