krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2023-02-17-lexus-is-sedan-wagon-2025.jpg

Japanese magazine Best Car is reporting that the next-generation IS sedan will debut in 2025 with a battery-electric powertrain and offered as both a sedan and a wagon/shooting brake. This would line up with recent reports that Toyota will abandon the e-TNGA platform used with the Lexus RZ in favour of a more optimized package.
2023-02-17-lexus-is-2025-sedan.jpg

Continue reading...

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Um...

Is the ducktail (spoiler) the next big thing (after the contrasting black roof)?

What are the chances that the wagon/shooting brake will be coming to North America? I am guessing very low to non-existent. Too bad, otherwise I would put my name down.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I'll pass on the BEV of an IS. Lexus needs to bring back the IS F with a NA V8, IS Sportcross (wagon)/Sedan which includes ICE, HEV and PHEV and not BEV only single variant.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Seeing the efficiency figures of the Ioniq 6 makes me feel the new IS BEV will once again be obsolete in 2026. We don't know the full specs for the IS EV yet but they were aiming for a very modest 10% efficiency gain for the second generation EVs when they are already behind by 30%. They need to fully realize the 30% efficiency gain planned for 2030 to stay relevant in 2026.

Same problem as most TMC products again and again. Benchmarking today's competition for a product coming in 4 years so when it comes out it's already behind. I hope the 1-year delay means a more ambitious improvement over E-TNGA.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Seeing the efficiency figures of the Ioniq 6 makes me feel the new IS BEV will once again be obsolete in 2026. We don't know the full specs for the IS EV yet but they were aiming for a very modest 10% efficiency gain for the second generation EVs when they are already behind by 30%. They need to fully realize the 30% efficiency gain planned for 2030 to stay relevant in 2026.

Same problem as most TMC products again and again. Benchmarking today's competition for a product coming in 4 years so when it comes out it's already behind. I hope the 1-year delay means a more ambitious improvement over E-TNGA.
There is about a 1% chance that a '26 BEV IS would be truly competitive or beat rivals. Look at the Busy-Forks and the RZ, already years behind upon launch. Toyota/Lexus is always years behind the competition with tech especially. BUT, they know their buyers ;) no one buys a Toyota or Lexus because it's bleeding edge.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
They do know their buyers, because the Toyota/Lexus buyer isn't looking for an ev, maybe a Mercedes buyer will.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
There is about a 1% chance that a '26 BEV IS would be truly competitive or beat rivals. Look at the Busy-Forks and the RZ, already years behind upon launch. Toyota/Lexus is always years behind the competition with tech especially. BUT, they know their buyers ;) no one buys a Toyota or Lexus because it's bleeding edge.
But their hybrids are 10 years ahead of any competition...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I've owned one for over 2 years and we get proper cold, it hasn't done that for me. Not a widespread issue.
Good to know! I always think about quality/reliability when Toyota/Lexus brand is mentioned.

Hopefully fun and sportiness will rub back on down the road.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I've owned one for over 2 years and we get proper cold, it hasn't done that for me. Not a widespread issue.
The only affected model (in Canada) seems to be the 2021 RAV4 Prime, software-related. So it should be a quick-and-easy fix (software and not in 2022, 2023 models, so already resolved?).

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
The only affected model (in Canada) seems to be the 2021 RAV4 Prime, software-related. So it should be a quick-and-easy fix (software and not in 2022, 2023 models, so already resolved?).
I believe so. I had the fix applied, it's a simple software update but the dealer has to do it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I re-read one of their earlier interviews where they said 800V fast charging will only be available for cars with 100kWh+ batteries.

I don't think the IS will get 800V then...I hope they at least fix the charging curve so it has at least 120-130kW average charging speed.

And the reason they said is "800V charging stations are expensive and have poor availability". Well, they are not the ones building charging stations are they?

Will1991

Reactions
800V will be only for the "Large Premium" platform.

Current ESU (Electricity Supply Unit) it's 400V and it's technically limited at 150kW, even the AC charger, the 7kW is inside the ESU but to get that 11kW AC charger it's external to it.

They did get 400A in a air-cooled solution though.