Hyundai Motor Group no No. 3 automaker in sales volume | More fires

mikeavelli

Reactions
Amazing turn off events the last 30 years or so…

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah it’s obvious they have gone after the LS buyer since the Equus. On paper this is nice and I don’t mind the Lincolnish styling minus that awful front. I just don’t understand the pricing. This has less power than the LS and costs more. I just don’t get the pricing strategy. I do commend them for continuing to attempt a play here.

It really shows how Lexus and the LS revolutionized the automotive landscape. This is a nice player but that’s it.

The more I see the S class around the more I realize why it’s the segment leader and priced accordingly.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah it’s obvious they have gone after the LS buyer since the Equus. On paper this is nice and I don’t mind the Lincolnish styling minus that awful front. I just don’t understand the pricing. This has less power than the LS and costs more. I just don’t get the pricing strategy. I do commend them for continuing to attempt a play here.

It really shows how Lexus and the LS revolutionized the automotive landscape. This is a nice player but that’s it.

The more I see the S class around the more I realize why it’s the segment leader and priced accordingly.

I hate the styling of everything forward of the firewall on the G90. The lines for the headlights and marker lights just stop at the doors, which looks like a sloppy collision repair. And the lines don't line up with the door handles, which would be an obvious styling dunk.

Lucid understands that you have to benchmark the S Class to play in this segment. I'm not sure why Hyundai doesn't.

Reactions
@Ian Schmidt Kia/Hyundai benchmark themselves against TMC, even Sandy Munro said in one of those Tesla's videos that Kia/Hyundai asked them to make an extensive assessment on TMC.
Definitely, the G90 biggest's market is its homeland, much like the Century and the other luxury Toyota sedans were mainly sold in Japan; it is not sold in Western Europe, where the G80 is the flagship.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting decision to go with battery as main power source and fuel cell as range extender.

If high performance is desired, the more reasonable path is multiple fuel cell stacks as main power source since they have higher power density and a small battery for energy recovery. A 2x scaled up Mirai powertrain would reach 340kW in a relatively compact platform (2x125kW+2x45kW).

Will1991

Reactions
@ssun30 but with FC’s it’s better to have a constant flow because you can run into compressor surge issues with inconsistent air flow.

This way you can improve the FC efficiency (running at nominal load) and you can scale dow the cooling equipment.

TMC is so far ahead the competition on FC’s… This new system in the 2nd gen Mirai is pretty special.

Reactions
@ssun30 but with FC’s it’s better to have a constant flow because you can run into compressor surge issues with inconsistent air flow.

This way you can improve the FC efficiency (running at nominal load) and you can scale dow the cooling equipment.

TMC is so far ahead the competition on FC’s… This new system in the 2nd gen Mirai is pretty special.
Our problem in the US is that the infrastructure sucks, and there is little enthusiasm for FCEVs. Hyundai is seemingly the only other maker besides Toyota to push the tech as Honda killed off Clarity.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Our problem in the US is that the infrastructure sucks, and there is little enthusiasm for FCEVs. Hyundai is seemingly the only other maker besides Toyota to push the tech as Honda killed off Clarity.
Not entrely true. BMW also works on FCEVs. Actually most carmakers work on FCEVs (and other non BEV tech), just in secret not to wake up the Tesla fanbois.

Reactions
Not entrely true. BMW also works on FCEVs. Actually most carmakers work on FCEVs (and other non BEV tech), just in secret not to wake up the Tesla fanbois.
At this point, BMW's FCEVs haven't even arrived here, as I don't know what it is like in Europe. For many owners at least in California, one must hope that their local station is online as there weren't that many stations to begin with compared to Superchargers. I just checked CAFCP and they are still rolling out more stations. But as far as wanting to buy one, Toyota and Hyundai are the only ones selling them here now.

Found the article but they're in it seemingly because of Toyota

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Hyundai Motor Group has quietly outdone Japanese automotive competition (including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda) with "the transition to electrification" so I expect their growth to continue.