mikeavelli

Reactions
The LX doesn’t really compete head on with those much larger vehicles. And i don’t know any LC or LX owner who would cross shop those. The LX has always been in this space. I think comparing with the Range Rover or G wagon makes more sense.

Alas the points about space and performance are accurate. Just the wrong comparison.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I also find this to be complete bullshit to start an article
“ From Cadillac, we have the Escalade, redesigned last year and armed with air springs and GM's Super Cruise hands-free driver-assistance system. After a 31-year hiatus, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer is back for 2022 in all its V-8-powered glory. Lexus also has a fresh model for 2022, the LX600, the upmarket counterpart to the Toyota Land Cruiser that U.S. dealerships no longer get. And Lincoln's refreshed Navigator is as plush as ever, now featuring a version of Ford's hands-free cruise control dubbed ActiveGlide.”

Naturally they mention the LX is related to the LC. No mention the Escalade is a fancy pick up truck Silverado and so is the Lincoln from a F-150. If you are going to mention one, mention them all.

Edit- the entire LX article all they talk about is the Land Cruiser. There is not a single mention the other brands also share with siblings. Not a single one.

So to hell with that article.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I also find this to be complete bullshit to start an article
“ From Cadillac, we have the Escalade, redesigned last year and armed with air springs and GM's Super Cruise hands-free driver-assistance system. After a 31-year hiatus, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer is back for 2022 in all its V-8-powered glory. Lexus also has a fresh model for 2022, the LX600, the upmarket counterpart to the Toyota Land Cruiser that U.S. dealerships no longer get. And Lincoln's refreshed Navigator is as plush as ever, now featuring a version of Ford's hands-free cruise control dubbed ActiveGlide.”

Naturally they mention the LX is related to the LC. No mention the Escalade is a fancy pick up truck Silverado and so is the Lincoln from a F-150. If you are going to mention one, mention them all.

Edit- the entire LX article all they talk about is the Land Cruiser. There is not a single mention the other brands also share with siblings. Not a single one.

So to hell with that article.

It reads like a promo for those other vehicles. It’s so blatant it’s nuts.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Finally shot the 600 yesterday…. i also did a review on it.. yes i’m gonna be biased idgaf there’s a lot of great things about the LX.
To be frank nothing is bad in this 100k segment. Just decide what fits better for you.
9C185064-8F34-4EAD-8406-9E22CCB6C9E5.jpeg
212E5172-3989-4E85-9916-5DFFA4D11F16.jpegCFB42571-165E-42E6-AAA8-6783356A4598.jpeg9C185064-8F34-4EAD-8406-9E22CCB6C9E5.jpeg212E5172-3989-4E85-9916-5DFFA4D11F16.jpegCFB42571-165E-42E6-AAA8-6783356A4598.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions
It reads like a promo for those other vehicles. It’s so blatant it’s nuts.

We already have to put up with the Acura/Honda daily ass kissing. The constant fascination with taking Toyota shots at Lexus while ignoring everyone else’s company relationships is ridiculous.

I doubt the writer has a passport. The others are not sold overseas. Maybe a couple countries. The LX is a global vehicle. I understand it’s shortcomings here vs the larger competition. T

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Maybe GX will move up in size to Sequoia size? Cause technically that is also a X5/GLE/Q7 competitor but body on frame.
Unless something changed, which is unlikely following Landcruiser/LX, GX is Prado related. Prado is the only BOF SUV sold in Western Europe (should I count the (AMG) G Wagon?). For European roads and cities it is highly unlikely it will grow in size. See LC300 that remains basically the same size as LC200.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
They did pick the worst LX trim to review. TBH I just don't understand the F-Sport. It's not like LX buyers care about how well a 2.5 ton SUV handles on mountain roads. It's a big missed opportunity to not market a "F-Sport Offroad" instead, and they already have all the engineering needed to make it (they already have LC300 GR Sport).

If I were Lexus PR, after seeing the first impression reviews, I would stop sending the F-Sport samples but the Premium with Appearance Package instead, because that seems to be the most well-received trim combination.
Lexus PR should just stop loaning out the LX to every stateside auto magazine; counterintuitive to the long ad philosophy of out of sight out of mind disaster outcomes they probably sell to the higherups for ad budgets.

But think of it this way, if you want an LX you probably already have owned one and simply upgrading to the latest, heard from word of mouth of how legendary it is and have desired on purchasing it, or are upgrading from a GX/4R to the ultimate Lexus SUV.

Leave the ad $$$$ for the other models in the lineup like the RC that need the help.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
The LX was in last place by quite a large margin. Yes, it’s a niche vehicle in ways the others aren’t, but it is also Lexus’ fault for going with an, “Ok, this is good enough,” strategy when it really isn’t for the US market and this competitive set.

Unless you really wanted a Land Cruiser and can’t buy one anymore, the LX is not a very impressive vehicle for “full size” SUV shoppers.

Everyone in the USA was lamenting the loss of the Land Cruiser and looking forward to the LX, but turns out the Sequoia is the best version of them all and quite the underdog.

Agree, as a newer LX 570 owner. If this review was a 15 year 250,000 mile ownership survey it'd be Lexus #1, #2, #3 and #4.

They can't exactly review how soon various GM or Ford parts will break.

We've rode in the new Escalade. It rides NICE and it has infinitely more room than the LX. Would I ever buy one? Never, but I'd consider leasing if that was how I managed my vehicles and wanted a large SUV to schlep my family around.

For our young family of 5, the LX is barely big enough for quick errands, etc. compared to our other vehicles.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I always find it funny Americans really need a 3 ton vehicle the size of a boat with at least 400hp to transport three kids because they think minivans are not cool.

Then there is Japan where minivans are so cool the most sold vehicle for families of six is Toyota Noah that's smaller than a RAV4 and has 140hp.

At current fuel prices I don't think the obsession with full-size pickup and 3-row SUVs is sustainable. Hopefully this means minivans get fashionable again. Lexus LM is really really good at transporting people than any SUV I guarantee it.

Reactions
Agreed that the LX is not a family hauler. I personally don't use it for that or would expect to. For me, it's the balance between luxury, utility with enough space for my needs, and reliability. I'd have a hard time finding something that meets all these wants. Maybe a couple of unibody options like the Q7 orX7. But I'd still prefer a Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Slight rant but the accusations of the LX being almost tiny remind me of the McMansian syndrome with homes. I really don’t get the obsession with everything needs to be gigantic. If we needed a bigger hauler the Toyota Sienna or any van fits the bill much better anyway.

I’ve had 5/6 people and stuff in the LX. No one died. It might be tight but got the job done. We also go as a family of 3 in the LC or IS. I hear all the complaints there too and i’m like “is everyone 800lbs or something”. Shoot I’m 270 myself.

I mean we all know the LX is 200 inches long. Hell a MDX is now 198. The Escalade is 210 and I think 224 or so as a EXT.

As an article stated the LX wheelbase hasn’t grown in like 20 years. That is because as a true off roader it can’t get bigger.

We just have to wait for the rumored TX and then people will complain it’s too big lol

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Nobody “needs” anything in this class of vehicle. It’s about image and capabilities at the extreme, and cost.

The G-Class has 38.1 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats and 68.6 cubic feet behind the front seats.

The base two-row Lexus LX has 46 cubic feet of cargo space behind its rear seats and a maximum of 71 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. In three-row models, there's 11 cubic feet of space behind the rear-most seats, 44 cubic feet with the third-row seats folded, and 64 cubic feet with all rear seats folded down.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Slight rant but the accusations of the LX being almost tiny remind me of the McMansian syndrome with homes. I really don’t get the obsession with everything needs to be gigantic. If we needed a bigger hauler the Toyota Sienna or any van fits the bill much better anyway.

I’ve had 5/6 people and stuff in the LX. No one died. It might be tight but got the job done. We also go as a family of 3 in the LC or IS. I hear all the complaints there too and i’m like “is everyone 800lbs or something”. Shoot I’m 270 myself.

I mean we all know the LX is 200 inches long. Hell a MDX is now 198. The Escalade is 210 and I think 224 or so as a EXT.

As an article stated the LX wheelbase hasn’t grown in like 20 years. That is because as a true off roader it can’t get bigger.

We just have to wait for the rumored TX and then people will complain it’s too big lol

C'mon Mike. The Sienna is a great hauler for everyone BUT the driver and the co-captain. The seats are tiny and uncomfortable, there is scan leg room, way too much wind noise....I could go on. We have newer LX, Tundra and Sienna. The Tundra really doesn't get used now, but the problem is, they are all kind of lacking in certain departments.

If Toyota made a minivan with the front seats from the Tundra and with more leg room, and was much quieter at highway speeds and rode significantly better....then we'd own 3 Siennas instead of 3 different Toyota vehicles lmao.

mikeavelli

Reactions
C'mon Mike. The Sienna is a great hauler for everyone BUT the driver and the co-captain. The seats are tiny and uncomfortable, there is scan leg room, way too much wind noise....I could go on. We have newer LX, Tundra and Sienna. The Tundra really doesn't get used now, but the problem is, they are all kind of lacking in certain departments.

If Toyota made a minivan with the front seats from the Tundra and with more leg room, and was much quieter at highway speeds and rode significantly better....then we'd own 3 Siennas instead of 3 different Toyota vehicles lmao.

I have used cushions for quite sometime now. Does wonders. I see what you are saying though.

i’m on a road trip now with 2 adults, 2 kids and our luggage and shopping. The LX is doing great.

I agree there isn’t a perfect vehicle. If we threw in the Sequoia, the issue is the rear doesn’t fold flat. And the rear seats aren’t much if any roomier than the LX to me. Odd.

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
I have used cushions for quite sometime now. Does wonders. I see what you are saying though.

i’m on a road trip now with 2 adults, 2 kids and our luggage and shopping. The LX is doing great.

I agree there isn’t a perfect vehicle. If we threw in the Sequoia, the issue is the rear doesn’t fold flat. And the rear seats aren’t much if any roomier than the LX to me. Odd.

LX seats are great. Ride is butter. Zero wind noise. Do wish about 3 inches more front leg room but alas.

I think Toyota missed the mark by not making the Sequoia longer. The whole "we want it to fit into traditional garages" just isn't a good enough excuse in my mind to not give the people what they want.

Have a good trip!

mikeavelli

Reactions
After another road trip here are a list of things I would like improved. I share most of the positives and thought I should share things I would like to see. No particular order. This is a F SPORT
1. I miss the split tailgate. You got to be careful if you have stuff behind the third row and not in the net as it can fall out. Also i liked sitting on the split tailgate.
2. I miss the second row being able to move for and aft.
3. Would love to see massage seats added and more adjustments In the LS they make all the difference on a road trip.
4. I wish the rear window shades were automated like the LS.
5. I would like soft close doors.
6. Would love to see carbon fiber trim as an option.
7. I wish the headliner was alcantara like the LC and LS.
8. Paddle shifters i wish were a bit longer.
9. More storage pockets or nets up front.

With 2 adults and 2 kids we had more than enough room. The cooler should be in every car it’s just a life saver!!

DC766A66-CCF0-4E3F-B0D6-741773136CCA.jpeg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My .02 on this LX after thinking more and more about it: I think the frustration lies in the fact that the LX is "flagship" in name but not fully a Lexus flagship in execution -- and a vehicle that is trying to serve too many audiences. It's supposed to fill the role of the Land Cruiser, be an ultimate luxury BOF icon, and there's an expectation of some shoppers that "It's the biggest Lexus so it should be a good family hauler with the most room." The LX falls short of #1 and #3, but should excel at #2 which is how/what it was in the past.

Lexus should have gone further and positioned it more upmarket considering buyer tastes and shifting forces in the segment. Essentially, less compromises and doubling down on what an LX should be.

Think about it...
Not so Flagship: LX has less technology and features than the NX and RX. Interior is not great. Needs more power. Missing some luxury features from even the 2018 LS. Interior is not as provocative and unique as the LC. Not really that big for passenger and storage space.
Flagship: Land Cruiser roots; Everyone just expects it to be one since it's an "L"X and this is an SUV-crazy market.

I think it would be better received if a few things were different:

3 powertrains with 3.4L V6 ICE not offered:
  • Base: 3.4L V6 (iForce MAX) hybrid
  • Upgrade option: TT V8
  • BEV follows later
Three trim "journeys" with no base/premium trims offered:
  • F SPORT--> F SPORT Performance/F
  • Luxury --> Ultra Luxury
  • Off Road --> Ultimate Off Road
Revised interior with more customization:
  • Dual screens are killed in favor of 14" infotainment screen
  • Additional interior and exterior color options
  • Additional interior trim and exterior wheel options
  • Needs added tech and luxury options from the '23 RX and even the LS
  • More detailing and "luxury" touches on the door panels after the dash is revised
  • LSS 3.0, panoramic roof, massaging seats, power door closers, power window shades, etc.

These changes would help push the LX further upmarket and eliminate some of the comparisons/expectations around it being a family hauler or "not as good as the Escalade, Navigator, etc". Does it really matter that much since they're sold out globally for 2 years? No but...

... Right now, the LX isn't standing up so well as a flagship effort in comparison to Lexus other flagships and even the RX. My primary concern is that once the new GX and TX arrive, Lexus is going to have 3 SUVs that are all very close to each other in size and the LX's flagship status is probably going to be harder to understand or justify. If it stayed on the current platform but incorporated the changes above, there would be no questioning or disputing it's place as the Lexus SUV flagship on merit -- not on name. To be clear, I am not asking for the LX to become the Sequoia as I think the TX will cover that just fine, but Lexus should use the Land Cruiser roots and build upon that for an ultimate performing off road/ultra luxury SUV experience that's significantly elevated -- not just a little lipstick and heels.

Also, the GX should have the LX's tune of the 3.4L TT V6 -- not a detuned version just so the LX can be "king" and rob the others of equipment and power they should have. I hate when Lexus does stuff like this.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I always find it funny Americans really need a 3 ton vehicle the size of a boat with at least 400hp to transport three kids because they think minivans are not cool.

Then there is Japan where minivans are so cool the most sold vehicle for families of six is Toyota Noah that's smaller than a RAV4 and has 140hp.

At current fuel prices I don't think the obsession with full-size pickup and 3-row SUVs is sustainable. Hopefully this means minivans get fashionable again. Lexus LM is really really good at transporting people than any SUV I guarantee it.
Minivans are practical but vanity knows no boundaries lol.

That being said the Noah and LM are the exception to the rule, those things are hideous but I guess thats the point.