krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2022-05-30-lexus-electrified-sport-goodwood.jpg

The Lexus Electrified Sport Concept will make its public debut at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed as part of an EV showcase at the event.
The concept foretells a new battery-electric supercar expected to be the spiritual successor of the LFA, with a 0–60mph time of just over two seconds and an expected range of 435 miles. The Goodwood Festival of Speed is an annual event in England that features vehicles of every description.
2022-02-09-lexus-lfa-ii-rear.jpg

Continue reading...

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
It's a shame Lexus is following in Tesla's footsteps. Hype "vaporware" products for many years ahead of production.... Sigh...

I can't believe how many gullible fools exist for Roadster, Cybertruck, Semi, FSD, Robotaxis, etc. so I guess we can't entirely blame Lexus for giving it a whirl? It seems to work for some.

Last edited:

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
It's a shame Lexus is following in Tesla's footsteps. Hype "vaporware" products for many years ahead of production.... Sigh...

I can't believe how many gullible fools exist for Roadster, Cybertruck, Semi, FSD, Robotaxis, etc. so I guess we can't entirely blame Lexus for giving it a whirl? It seems to work for some.
I humbly disagree with you. The LF-A took about a decade to come into fruition. I do not expect the electric supercar to be much different. If anything I'd expect it to not take as long. And judging by the rollout of the bZ line of cars (starting with the bZ4x and then the spy shots of the corolla sized sedan circulating the internet right now) I think things are going along just fine. A bit slow maybe but "vaporware" it is not.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
What vaporware? Toyota/Lexus provided timelines for proliferation of BEVs across the lineups.

Schedule isn't aggressive at all.

It probably knows solid state or lithium metal batteries are on their way to commercialization.

Don't even think that the Euro 7 emissions standard for 2025 has passed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's likely 8 years away. I think they will show a static display not a working prototype.

There is possibility they do have a development prototype ready, likely using funds and parts repurposed from the cancelled hyper car project. After all they only need two TS050 battery packs to achieve 1000PS for chassis development and performance evaluation, and disregard range for now.

The very first LFA development prototype was spotted 7 years before entering production. It's fair to say the LFA was the biggest vaporware project of the 2000s /s

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Call it vaporware, but projects like the LFA, the supra, 86 are products second, but HUGE marketing opportunities first for a company like TMC. Not every brand has the lineage and history chops that a season veteran brand like Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti have. When you start an extended public rollout like the LFA did, Lexus was in the eyes and ears of the car community that entire decade. It targeted the person who aspires to own any TMC product to a person who is tired of driving supercars from the status quo and wants something different.

It worked wonder for the brand in years past, so i doubt they'd switch gears here. Expect to see more social media campaigns and enthusiasts events as the products move through their development cycle.

Reactions
Let’s be mindful the LFA took so long because it went from an aluminum body to one of the few carbon tub cars. And unlike the euros it was built in house with their own carbon fiber loom. That’s why it took so long.

This won’t have the same issue.

ETA is like what? 2-3 years?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
We are getting there, slowly

it’s gonna be an exciting period for the brand over the next couple of years for sure.

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Yeah something is coming sooner than later!

So if I'm not hearing it wrong (from BestCarWeb?), there is a pure electric supercar that was confirmed during the BEV announcement, and then there is another supercar with PHEV TTV8 outputting a total of 950ish HP? It seems kinda odd there are going to be two hypercars coexist around the same time frame......unless they are positioned in different segment / class.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Let’s be mindful the LFA took so long because it went from an aluminum body to one of the few carbon tub cars. And unlike the euros it was built in house with their own carbon fiber loom. That’s why it took so long.

This won’t have the same issue.
Similarly this car is limited by how soon they can make their solid state batteries to production. If it's 2-3 years there is no point for the actual V8 hybrid. If it's 7-8 years it will be 2030. If the SSB breakthrough never happens then this car will be cancelled. If some breakthrough in hydrogen storage happens it may change direction to a hydrogen car.

That's why I say it's similar to the LFA situation.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Toyota's chief engineer said solid state batteries SSB will go into hybrids first in about 2025, so they can learn lesson quickly due to the pack size being smaller so they can get more cars on the road. I didn't think we'd see full SSB BEV for a couple years after that.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Similarly this car is limited by how soon they can make their solid state batteries to production. If it's 2-3 years there is no point for the actual V8 hybrid. If it's 7-8 years it will be 2030. If the SSB breakthrough never happens then this car will be cancelled. If some breakthrough in hydrogen storage happens it may change direction to a hydrogen car.

That's why I say it's similar to the LFA situation.
I thought batteries in HEVs were more abused during day to day operations? High charge and discharge rates, correct?

So if SSB works for HEVs, they will almost surely will with BEVs?