The problem with the Lexus RC F...

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
I am also in the same predicament. I am gonna wait to see what all comes out within the next 1-2 years…

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
Lexus is also working on its own version of the new Subaru BRZ and Toyota GR86 called the UC, just to point this out if you didn't know... This will something to closely pay attention to as I think most people will want.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Lexus is also working on its own version of the new Subaru BRZ and Toyota GR86 called the UC, just to point this out if you didn't know... This will something to closely pay attention to as I think most people will want.
I saw that rumor long ago, doubt that's ever going to happen. Lexus quality is too high to let someone else build their cars for them, and I doubt they'll produce it. The character of the 86 and BRZ is not Lexus also. It's a fun to drive, raw daily car.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I saw that rumor long ago, doubt that's ever going to happen. Lexus quality is too high to let someone else build their cars for them, and I doubt they'll produce it. The character of the 86 and BRZ is not Lexus also. It's a fun to drive, raw daily car.

@krew has something very, very similar coming out soon after his test drive with the GR 86. Don't want to spoil it :)

Will1991

Reactions
chandler-friends.gif

@Gecko I just want to leave this here :ROFLMAO:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
L-Tuned was the first factory supported parts to modify your Lexus. Mostly GS and IS back in 2001. It never took off. I had it on my GS 400.

L Sportline was an aftermark company

F sport used to offer parts to upgrade like BBK, sway bars etc.
So Lexus bought F Sport?

Reactions
L-Tuned was the first factory supported parts to modify your Lexus. Mostly GS and IS back in 2001. It never took off. I had it on my GS 400.

L Sportline was an aftermark company

F sport used to offer parts to upgrade like BBK, sway bars etc.
I remember L Tuned...I think they got beat to the market by L Sportline.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
My RCF back in Oct 2016 was MSRP'ed at nearly $100K CAD with taxes when it was sold to the first owner, but a comparable M3/M4 were around $115K CAD at least. I bought it mildly used (with 7000 miles), but then again it is worth a lot more than I paid for back in 2017. I still believe, RCF even with all of the carbon fiber/TVD etc. was closer I believe in price to a loaded 440/340i than it was to the M3/M4. I think Alex On Autos did a price comparison like this as well.

One can compare a base model M3/M4 vs a fully loaded RCF with carbon fiber/TVD or the RCF track edition. Both of them would not look like good value, but you do get lots of great stuff for all of that extra money in a Lexus. I guess it is just an amazing car to own and all of those extra bells and whistles (carbon fiber, TVD etc.) and other amenities, do add a great deal to the experience over and above a base model RCF that is $30K USD cheaper in the US (In Canada, the "base model" is just an RCF with the Torsen LSD, with a moonroof and no CF with the non-20 spoke hand polished wheels and it is around $87K CAD). A base model RCF is just missing so many of those things. Well, minus the Mark Levinson system, which is dead weight to me since I never use it. TVD is just a masterpiece of engineering that makes the car so much more nimbler than with a Torsen because of how much faster then TVD can lock up.

There is someone I know (a youtuber) who is trying to order a 2022 RCF and Lexus is saying, they are not making them at the moment due to chip shortage. He went from a 2016 RCF CF/TVD to a Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 and now he wants to go back to an RCF.

Regarding your question of why someone like me would pick an RCF when I could get an LC500 or GSF? I am the typical demographic who still fairly young so It is because it is the sportiest offering Lexus had (other than the RCF TE, of course). I wanted a dedicated weekend car with the 2UR engine and with all of the F bits and TVD etc., it offers up in spades. I have an RX450h and my old faithful 05 Corolla XRS to do all of the heavy lifting while my RCF is a garage queen.

Also, this car makes me feel like a celebrity on the road because of the reactions it gets. Add to that, now 520 - 530 HP with the mods and race tune including a full Invidia exhaust I have and two baby seats in the back and a stroller in the trunk. It just does not get any better than this.

Anyway, my two cents as an owner who has dished out around $90 K CAD on my RCF over the course of 5+ years since 2017 (original purchase + modifications).

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
^ And people on another Canadian forum poo poo me when all I want in a sporty enough BEV are TVD and better battery chemistry / warranty. :)

Resale value of your RCF is going to be much higher than those BMWs too, over any length of time.

That looks like a perfectly legitimate wish to me. TVD is an amazing driving experience and any chassis including a BEV car would greatly benefit from it.

Regarding resale, it already is. Mine with only 10K miles is actually appraised at much higher than a 2015 - 2016 BMW M4 (comparably equipped) with low mileage. I never seriously considered the F80/F30 M3/M4 because I wanted the high-revving V8.

Initially, I was very close to to buying an E90 M3 sedan with 6 speed manual as I fell in love with it back when I first drove it in 2008, but then around 2016 I decided to up my game and budget to purchase an RCF. It took me about 10 months to find the perfect one. It took a lot of time, but luckily I found a unicorn as it is the only one which is a Molten Pearl with carbon fiber/TVD package in Calgary.

People often compare an RCF at $100K MSRP to an LC500, saying "much better to get into an LC500" but guys remember both cars are very different. If anything, if I were in the market today, I would have strongly considered the RCF Track Edition alongside a RCF carbon/TVD. LC500 and RCF feel very different. Both cars need to be appreciated for what they are. Not what they are not.

Maybe, I am missing something, but I priced out a base model M4 with only premium package on it (only for the backup camera, intuit assist etc. that are very useful safety features) and it was already $100K with minimal options. The competition would be way more expensive.

1653749044300.png

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
To be honest, I prefer the RC/RCF look over the LC. I don't know what people see in the LC. I don't find it attractive at all.

If Porsche is doing one thing right, it's making PTV Plus available across most of its line up. With Lexus, we have the RCF, the defunct GSF, and maybe just one more model/trim with TVD.

For the IS, I wish they didn't put the strip between the rear tail lights. It was better separate. It's not a CUV/SUV and even with the Macan, the original rear design looked better, at least to me.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
To be honest, I prefer the RC/RCF look over the LC. I don't know what people see in the LC. I don't find it attractive at all.

If Porsche is doing one thing right, it's making PTV Plus available across most of its line up. With Lexus, we have the RCF, the defunct GSF, and maybe just one more model/trim with TVD.

For the IS, I wish they didn't put the strip between the rear tail lights. It was better separate. It's not a CUV/SUV and even with the Macan, the original rear design looked better, at least to me.

I am biased, but I agree with you as looks are totally subjective. By the same token, I acknowledge majority of the people like the LC500's looks more. However, I believe the RCF is aging very well and the design is not too "time capsulized" (if that is even a word).

Agreed on Porsche's approach on torque vectoring across all of their model line. You put TVD on any car and it will feel more nimbler/responsive and agile with a "shorter wheelbase" feel to it.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I have to ask though, putting aside the value of 2UR, objectively speaking would you still choose a 23 RCF over say a zupra with a tune or an IS500 with a supercharger?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I have to ask though, putting aside the value of 2UR, objectively speaking would you still choose a 23 RCF over say a zupra with a tune or an IS500 with a supercharger?

Hmmm...not an easy question to answer. I have done bolt-ons and race tune on my RCF (stage 2 intake, full exhaust, ECU software tune, throttle controller, lightweight battery etc.), but it is all within the parameters of keeping it perfectly safe/reliable and not straining the engine. So, it is a rather "easy" 520 - 530 HP (435 - 440 whp) my car puts down as nothing strains the engine. It basically feels basically like stock with more noise, more response, more power and a stronger midrange.

In the cases you described above, if I were a single, young tuner (in who wanted to look to beating Nissan GTRs from a roll race etc.), I would have taken the Zupra with upgraded turbos and tune. Thing is, I have two kids and an extremely busy life and I get very little time to even drive so RCF is just a means to have a hobby and "decompress" and have fun doing some tweaks. I think RCF does really well at being a well-rounded package from the factory, which you can improve a decent amount with very small tweaks.

To be honest, if I wanted a used 2 seater to modify into a monster, a C6 Z06 Corvette would be more compelling than a Zupra.

Regarding S/C'ed IS500, it is a bit like the case of Supra above, but more compelling due to the practicality aspect, it could apply to not just my single life, but married life. If my car was my central focus and I was a very active part of the car community, it would be compelling to buy an IS500 and put $20K on supercharger, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes etc. to make a 650 - 700 whp monster.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I had to think long to come up with an answer since it is a scenario I never had thought about.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Having had both a RC F and LC it’s not even close to me. I prefer the LC in every way. RC F offers more room which is much better for my wife and kid. I like the styling of both.

The LC weighs more but doesn’t feel it. The transmission is light years ahead.

The Fuji Speedway edition drives better to me and the brakes and rarity or lovely. I could see myself back in that but not dropping the LC.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Having had both a RC F and LC it’s not even close to me. I prefer the LC in every way. RC F offers more room which is much better for my wife and kid. I like the styling of both.

The LC weighs more but doesn’t feel it. The transmission is light years ahead.

The Fuji Speedway edition drives better to me and the brakes and rarity or lovely. I could see myself back in that but not dropping the LC.

Totally respect that. I personally like the stiffer, firmer, tighter feel of the RCF. If anything, I would like it to be a tiny bit stiffer LOL However, LC500 is better for long distances and better for just about any street scenario. It drives very well for sure. I am not sure if I agree on the weight, though. The inertia from the 400 lbs extra weight is noticeable especially the bigger size.

Last edited: