So I finally moved to United States

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
For a decade I've split my time between China running business and US living with family. In the past few years both economic and political climate have gone downwards so I've been planning the exit. First sold off all business ventures then trying to move assets slowly using cryptocurrency. Lost a lot of money in the process but better than getting stuck. I haven't been able to visit US since my last trip to Alaska right before COVID. Again luckily for me I got a plane ticket a month before Shanghai lockdown and have been living in MA since. I was terrified of COVID at first because of all the news but it really isn't a big deal it seems. Everyone is living like normal without masks.
This is probably going to be long term as China just recently shut down borders for foreign travel. I wouldn't be able to go back even if I want to but I really don't.
Of course I needed a car. I visited several Lexus dealers and got really bad shopping experience there. The level of hospitality is night and day compared to Chinese Lexus dealers. The entire time they were trying to dissuade me from custom ordering a LS500h and get a generic RX450h instead. GX460 is great though! I would say it's the most comfortable SUV I've driven (never tried LX). Still I really dislike the few dealers near me so for once I stopped considering Lexus.
Because dealer experience is very important for me I tried other brands. Genesis is absolutely crap, no premium experience at all. Manager left me waiting for an hour without anyone helping me because they are too busy selling $20k Hyundai crap in the same showroom. Product quality is mediocre and nothing worth the hype in media. Mercedes is very overpriced and their modern interior is bland and cheap. Porsche is the only place I got the same level of hospitality. Salespeople are very professional and try to cater to my needs, but still Porsche cars are too overpriced.
So in the end I went to BMW. Experience is great. Dealer just dropped me the key and test drive as much as I want. However, lots of new cars they sell lack touchscreens because of the chip shortage. But luckily for me I found a CPO F32 440i. I don't really need a SUV as wife drives a RAV4 hybrid. So I ended up getting it for 43k USD. Seems very expensive but back in China that's the price of a 320i. I paid almost double that for my ES300h four years ago.
Absolutely love it, B58 engine with 6 speed manual. The dream combo for the last generation of ICEVs. And no speed cameras means I can actually enjoy it! I don't plan to keep it beyond extended warranty since I would eventually get a Lexus F car, but for now it's a very satisfying purchase.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I've also been test driving off-road SUVs and trucks. I used to believe NA really got neglected by Toyota and you guys get the inferior stuff. That can't be further from the truth.
The Prado can't hold a candle against the GX you get. The LC200/70 aren't that fancy either. The (old generation) Sequoia is super spacious and very very cheap for how big it is. I'm sure the new generation will be great. The 4Runner feels very cheap and I know the engine is ancient. But the ground clearance is much much higher than Prado. It could possibly go to a lot more places the Prado can't.

Will1991

Reactions
Congrats on your buy and on your life change!

I’m curious, did you consider getting the IS500?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Congrats on your buy and on your life change!

I’m curious, did you consider getting the IS500?
Definitely. That's actually my No.1 consideration. However my local dealer is very greedy and asked $89k for a launch edition.

I didn't really like IS500 after actually sitting in one. The interior quality and space is not what I expected. I'm surprised it's less spacious than the F32 4 series. Maybe if I'm allowed to test drive it I will change my mind.

BMW only asks 4k over MSRP for fully equipped M340i (66k). There's no way IS500 is worth that much more.
Thanks for saving the manuals!
Will likely consider a 400Z or GR Corolla in the future.