12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wish they would do a GR Camry with AWD. Torque steer has been one of the things holding that car back - throw a tuned turbo 4cyl under the hood with sport suspension and this AWD system, and it would be a killer and "family man" enthusiast's dream.

Camry is quickly becoming one of the last cars standing in the midsize segment so... why not?
I feel a Camry Prime will be more likely than GR Camry. We heard about a "GR RAV4" before, but it didn't happen and the RAV4 got the Prime instead. Fast straight line speed but not much about handling.

All GR cars are designed to be raceable. There is no series for a GR Camry to race in.
Take the supercharged V6 engine from the Lotus Emira and slap that in the hood of the Camry. You could detune it, but a 400 horsepower Camry would be such a flex.

Then, take either the Highlander's Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system, or try to fit the GR-Four AWD system under it.

Chuck in the 6-speed iMT manual transmission. Use the brand new 8-speed automatic that's being developed for the GR Yaris and GR Corolla. But primarily make it in a manual.

Give it a LSD.

Stiffen the chassis and give it a more capable suspension system. Don't cheap out on the brakes either.

GR Camry.

~45k USD.
What you just described will definitely not come at 45k USD😂

The closest you will get would be the Crown with 2.4T E-Axle hybrid.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
*sigh*

Fine. 50k I guess.

They'll be able to amortize the costs across tens of thousands of these. 😩
hence I ask again anyone peer into the GR Corolla budget lol. Camry at 50 large, I dont know if folks are willing to pony up to 108 month loans yet?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
hence I ask again anyone peer into the GR Corolla budget lol. Camry at 50 large, I dont know if folks are willing to pony up to 108 month loans yet?
JMO, if AWD, ~300hp, and the good diffs from the GR Yaris, it will be in the high $30k range. The Elantra/Veloster/WRX are all around $30-35k. Civic Type R is $37k (FWD). I could see it spanning $37k-$40k. No more STI to set the top end but it started at $37k when it still existed. Golf R is $45k.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Love it! Odd that they say that the launch edition will have the limited slip diffs but aren't clear if that will be available on the standard model. The launch edition looks great, but I don't necessarily need that version. Now pricing. Launch edition will crest $40k, IMO.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I saw some image of the interior. It has an actual freaking hand brake. I'm in disbelief. Rowdy engine, wide body, good diffs, good brakes, MT, hand brake, carbon roof, good seats. I just can't really believe it. I thought my current 6MT might be my last. I think I have time for one more.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Canadian media have been post more detail and preview video in below's links
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/first-look-2023-toyota-gr-corolla
I like this full-LCD dashboard😱!
my23_gr-corolla-circuit-edition_016-jpg-jpg.835

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Facelift headlights look good. Iffy on the tacked on wide door fender-extension thing.. but the rest of this looks awesome!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This and the Subaru show that when Japanese do manual, they mean it, with manual handbrake. Every other manual on sale today (among performance cars) has a manual only as marketing bait, they did not go all the way with manual handbrake: Porsche, BMW, Alfa, Cadillac, Hyundai. The Genesis G70 does.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
That’s fantastic, and as a manual tranny fan, I’m thrilled. If I were in the market for a non-EV daily driver, I’d have a serious look at this. I’d change the exhaust though….that’s goofy.